Dana White: Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder trilogy was 'just exactly what boxing needed'

Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Threat Actor
@Silver
Reaction score
A critically acclaimed review from the Baldfather. Nice for a change.
“I thought it was awesome,” White told reporters, including MMA Junkie, on Tuesday at the UFC Apex. “Going into it, my thought process was, ‘For what? Why?’ (Joshua) just got beat, and why do that? you know why? Because boxing needed that fight. It was an incredible heavyweight fight. I thought both guys fought their asses off and for Fury to come in 277 pounds and fight the way that he fought, get knocked down, get back up, keep fighting – it’s just exactly what boxing needed, so (I’m) glad it happened. Congratulations to both of them, everybody involved and the sport of boxing.”
Dana White: Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder trilogy was 'just exactly what boxing needed'

morgan-freeman-pointing.gif

He's right. When the heavyweight division is doing well, boxing is doing well.

Having a charismatic champ also helps. Klitscko's weren't exactly a marketing dream for casual fans (who help the sport, bring them in I say!).

Having a charismatic champ also helps. Klitscko's weren't exactly a marketing dream for casual fans (who help the sport, bring them in I say!).
Casual fans in the US, yet were filling 60k stadiums in Germany and 90K ones on the UK, even when Wlad came to MSG it was a huge deal

Casual fans in the US, yet were filling 60k stadiums in Germany and 90K ones on the UK, even when Wlad came to MSG it was a huge deal

Sure. And the US is the biggest market.

I'm not saying the Klitschko's weren't a draw- the heavyweight championship of the world is always a big deal. But nowhere near the level of buzz Tyson Fury is getting.

I'm not saying the Klitschko's weren't a draw- the heavyweight championship of the world is always a big deal. But nowhere near the level of buzz Tyson Fury is getting.
biggest market sure, but they werent even going to be the host of Fury/Joshua, the middle east was

Boxing is like that fine bitch that Dana still pines for, despite all his shit talk
Hes a legit boxing fan. It's the promoters and lack of meaningful fights he shit talks.
Hes 100% right ussually too. Like, love, or hate MMA the UFC model gives the fans the fights they want before its too late. They also stack cards at times and promote their guys.
The Fury Wilder 3 card was one of the best overall cards I can remember in some time. Rarely do you get a card with that many known names and undefeated records.

Hes a legit boxing fan. It's the promoters and lack of meaningful fights he shit talks.
Hes 100% right ussually too. Like, love, or hate MMA the UFC model gives the fans the fights they want before its too late. They also stack cards at times and promote their guys.
The Fury Wilder 3 card was one of the best overall cards I can remember in some time. Rarely do you get a card with that many known names and undefeated records.

As someone who used to watch MMA years ago now, i have to agree, apart from Anderson vs GSP when both were dominating.

Honestly, I don't value the opinion from the redgoof any more than from any other boxing fan.

one thing Dana gets is good promotion it's older than Muhammad Ali however a lot of boxers don't want to do it like Terence Crawford who's up there with the Sugar Rays but ruin his sport and paychecks

One of the most boring boxers ever, money may, knew the deal. Mouth pays the bills!

Last edited:
As someone who used to watch MMA years ago now, i have to agree, apart from Anderson vs GSP when both were dominating.
Exactly. The fights people want to see get made within reason. You know who is the top dog consistently. It's not fractured and splintered with a ton of weight classes and multiple organizations. Or network deals & affiliations stopping the fights you want to see.

The model for that does mean the Top boxers can cash out and get a bigger split than the top MMA guys...for the most part. Sure Connor is the exception. But the boxing model still leaves top pros, and pros in general just as low as the mma fighter pay people complain about.

You seem to think the 60-80k who can get to the fight live outweigh the tens of millions of eyeballs on tv. This is perplexing.

Back