Dana White: 'Reach/height made the difference. Jones has been fighting smaller guys'

Dana just said at the post-fight presser that Jones had been fighting smaller guys and that Gus' reach/height is what made the difference.

Surprised he would say that so candidly lol.

But it's true.

It's not exactly true, it's also the skill level.
Jones fought 6ft 4in Stephan Bonner and beat him. (although Stephan did give him a good last Rd.)
Alex is just very talented.

Jones fought 6ft 4in Stephan Bonner and beat him. (although Stephan did give him a good last Rd.)

Bonnar is not a great fighter.

If Machida had been 6'5...

Bonnar is a really bad example.

A LHW who has never been considered one of the best gave Jones a tough test, and he happens to be very tall.

Dana just admited that Jones could beat Cain and JDS both.
Cain 6'2" and 77" reach.
JDS 6'3" and 77" reach.

Jones 6'4" and 85" reach.
Gus 6'5" and 81.5" reach.

Two vs Two, Gus & Jones vs Cain & JDS

The outcome winners would be Gus and Jones.
I don't think JDS and Cain weight matter, they are just like 240.
Jones and Gus probably like 230 max.

bro GTFO. You're a clown. Your troll tactics are annoying, all things being equal size advantage is very important, unfortunately for jones, if he fought cain or JDS he wouldn't have a chance to work from the outside because he would get smashed.

I already know that Jones is just about size.

I ve legit been banned on another forum for being so adamant that his success has been mainly bc of his size/reach advantage smh.
amazing fight but I had Gus winning the first 3 at least

Dana, while an extremely successful business man and pioneer of MMA, often says things that make me question his intelligence.

Vera and bonnar were the same size as jon and got annihilated. Gustafsson is just a good fighter.

i hate jones but every fighter has natural attributes that help them. It's like saying hendo would lose if he didnt have a good chin and had now power

easy hypothesis to test.

do we see a consistent trend where the biggest fighter by weight class dominate?

nope? well then I guess it isn't just about size.

it is clear that being "big for your class" is helpful. but if size was all that then fighters like Kendall Grove would be champ

Jones is good, but people need to understand that his reach advantage is ridiculous over just about everyone. It's not just an advantage- it's sometimes as big a a foot.

easy hypothesis to test.

do we see a consistent trend where the biggest fighter by weight class dominate?

nope? well then I guess it isn't just about size.

it is clear that being "big for your class" is helpful. but if size was all that then fighters like Kendall Grove would be champ

No one said it was JUST about size.

"height/reach made the difference" means just that. Jones already fought fighters as skilled as Alex. He just never fought anyone as skilled that ALSO were equal in size.

I agree not talking anything against the legends jones destroyed but the size difference was just too much. Now bones fought someone with talent and size the story was different. So jones size really played a big factor in his domination in the lhw division.

Back