Dana White: 'Reach/height made the difference. Jones has been fighting smaller guys'

Again, Bonnar has longer reach than Alex, and he is a big LHW.
All of this is really shitting on Alex's skills. Alex is a great outside boxer with good footwork and great tdd. That's not really news either. Vera has only 2 inches shorter reach than Alex and is a greco roman wrestler.

I am not doubting Alexander's talent, he is the best fighter Jones has fought. All I am saying is, Jones has been fighting some small as fighters. As for Bonnar, he couldn't finish Bonnar either, he struggles against bigger dudes.

My point is, if he is fighting fighters that can go down a weight-class, that means he is fighting fighters who are in the wrong division. It's much easier to go up than come down. You think Jones could make 185?

I am not doubting Alexander's talent, he is the best fighter Jones has fought. All I am saying is, Jones has been fighting some small as fighters. As for Bonnar, he couldn't finish Bonnar either, he struggles against bigger dudes.

My point is, if he is fighting fighters that can go down a weight-class, that means he is fighting fighters who are in the wrong division. It's much easier to go up than come down. You think Jones could make 185?

That's on those fighters. They chose to fight in that division, and it has been pretty competitive in that division before him. Gus even struggled against Shogun, and would probably struggle against Machida and some others as well.
And come on, seriously? Jones was just starting out when he fought Bonnar. That's like saying Gus wrestling hasn't improved since Davis. Jones would EASILY dispose of that Bonnar today.

Dana just said at the post-fight presser that Jones had been fighting smaller guys and that Gus' reach/height is what made the difference.

Surprised he would say that so candidly lol.

But it's true.
As a Gus fan, I don't really know what to think. Is he trying to say that's the only reason Gus was beating on him for 5 rounds? What about that take down defense?? I can see there is a valid point in there somewhere, but no one is articulating it.

As a Gus fan, I don't really know what to think. Is he trying to say that's the only reason Gus was beating on him for 5 rounds? What about that take down defense?? I can see there is a valid point in there somewhere, but no one is articulating it.

This is something me and others have been trying to say: this argument ends up really dismissive of Gus, if you take it to its logical conclusion that Jones would suck against any fighter of similar height. Basically dismisses Gus for the exact same reasons, intentionally or not.

My god, this thread is really displaying sherdog idiocy at its worst.

Gus is a great fighter, and styles ( and physical attributes) make fights.

If it were really all about height and reach, we'd see nothing but lanky fighters in every weight division.

Is it that hard to realize that jones is a great fighter with great talent and great physical parameters, and that Gus also is? And that Gus has a style that matches up well with jones's style on this particular night?

I hate Jones as much as the next guy, and I was really pulling for Gus, but let's not get stupid here. In my opinion, gus is one of the best fighters at 205 in the wled
Right now, jones is probably the best fighter at 205 ever, Gus has a style and physicality that happens to match very well against jones AND jones had an off night.

Gus is still a top 3/top 5 lhw, jones is still the best lhw, and they both are tall with long reach.

Quit whining.

My god, this thread is really displaying sherdog idiocy at its worst.

Gus is a great fighter, and styles ( and physical attributes) make fights.

If it were really all about height and reach, we'd see nothing but lanky fighters in every weight division.

Is it that hard to realize that jones is a great fighter with great talent and great physical parameters, and that Gus also is? And that Gus has a style that matches up well with jones's style on this particular night?

I hate Jones as much as the next guy, and I was really pulling for Gus, but let's not get stupid here. In my opinion, gus is one of the best fighters at 205 in the wled
Right now, jones is probably the best fighter at 205 ever, Gus has a style and physicality that happens to match very well against jones AND jones had an off night.

Gus is still a top 3/top 5 lhw, jones is still the best lhw, and they both are tall with long reach.

Quit whining.
no. No.

They are both pretty bad fighters who are lucky they are lanky. Lanky dominates skill every day.

Stop trying to make sense.

Doesn't gus have an 8" shorter reach than jones?

I think gus ability to negate jones takedowns had more to do with how tough the fight was for jones, not his lack of size advantage.

Ever fight Jones uses his ground and pound to soften up his opponents. Gus was able to avoid that and avoid jones biggest weapon.

That's what made the fight close.

So he fought a skilled guy his own height now and still won.

Must be bringing more to the table than just size.

LOL the truth is out... Where are all the fanboys who refused to admit that Jones size and reach are a HUGE part of why he's dominated small LHWs and bloated middleweights?

He just had the fight of his life and in many people's eyes lost it against a guy with less reach and supposedly much inferior wrestling. There were points in the fight where Jones was literally getting owned and hit at will.

Do we ever criticize hard punchers for winning only because of their KO power? Which most agree is something you are just born with... So why diminish Jones for his reach?

Reach and height certainly was a factor but it was one of several Gus's chin, speed, age and power had just as much to do with it.

no shit captain obvious, also gus is the man

Do we ever criticize hard punchers for winning only because of their KO power? Which most agree is something you are just born with... So why diminish Jones for his reach?

Because being a hard hitter most time doesn't negate the skill set of the opposing fighter, whereas Jone's reach does.

Reach/size was a factor but I think the biggest variable was Gustafsson's speed and heart. A lot of guys would have quit in the 4th but he kept finding a second wind when it came to exchanges.

oh jesus christ, Diabate is in the division.

Uh yeah he clearly is. He showed MUCH better, smoother, and faster striking than anyone on that list along with better control and durability.

Exactly. And look at how many takedowns he stuffed and the fact that he was the first guy to take Jones down. Size obviously helped him, but he also showed tons of skill in this fight and has clearly improved in all aspects of his game.

Back