Dana White: 'Reach/height made the difference. Jones has been fighting smaller guys'

Gus deserves credit but acting like 100% of what Gus did was pure skill and not because he also has great reach SPITS on Vitor Belfort, Rashad Evans, Shogun Rua, Rampage Jackson, and Lyoto Machida.

Those guys also have fantastic striking and couldn't do a damn thing to Jones. You honestly think Alexander is just that much better than them? Or.....could it be something else?

I was being Jon trying to weasel his way out of being exposed since in all his interviews leading up to this fight he's all like 'I'm gonna show everyone that I don't just win because of my height and reach'

Hence why I put his new slogan 'C'mon son.'

Gus took it to him to the final second of the fight, jones didn't have his way with gus because he wasn't fighting someone twice as small for once,, I say he moves up and has to fight schuab and then he will be schooled in the art of bjj.

Size was a kind of equalizer, but Gus also added superior boxing and remarkable confidence.

Dana throwing jones under the bus....yikes

People don't seem to understand something: Admitting that a big PART of why Jones wins is his physical gifts isn't a bad thing.

If a great runner was born with fantastic legs or longer feet or something

Or in Michael Phelps case, if a great swimmer was born with double jointed ankles than that is definitely going to help him.

The problem is people like yourself tend to think that everyone is trying to say it's the ONLY reason the guy wins. No one is saying that. No one is saying Jones isn't crazy talented.

Double jointed ankle or not, Phelps also had to work his ass off and had incredible talent. It's just that it would be a lie to say the ankle thing didn't help.

Everything plays it's part.

Wasn't that hard to figure out.....Jon still won though

The pretty much cheapens Gus's entire effort since it means that ANYONE whom is similar in size can replicate those results which we know is bullshit. What got Gus those results was being tough, a better boxer, and well conditioned.

Gus deserves credit but acting like 100% of what Gus did was pure skill and not because he also has great reach SPITS on Vitor Belfort, Rashad Evans, Shogun Rua, Rampage Jackson, and Lyoto Machida.

Those guys also have fantastic striking and couldn't do a damn thing to Jones. You honestly think Alexander is just that much better than them? Or.....could it be something else?

Agree

LOL So even Dana is discrediting Gus now? I've always thought Dana was stupid but that takes the cake. I mean if Jones is only great because he's beating smaller guys, what does that say about Gus? Gus was taller than Bones.

Its def true
He should thank God every day that he was blessed with insane athleticism and length. He is not very skilled compared to the top fighters

Did you know NBA athletes are so good at basketball, and one reason is they are fucking tall and athletic ???

NO WAY, impossible, fake athletes

Wasn't that hard to figure out.....Jon still won though

You say it wasn't hard to figure out but this world is filled with people who have to "see it to believe it"

and I've literally read posts before that said things like "even if Jones were the exact same size as his opponents he'd still dominate" and such to that extent.

Uh yeah he clearly is. He showed MUCH better, smoother, and faster striking than anyone on that list along with better control and durability.

Jones won. If it made a difference he would have lost.

say wha?

did you watch the fight? Or just get the result off wikipedia?

Dominating vs a close decision where you took a lot of damage to the face is a huge difference.

According to your logic there's no difference between the first anderson/sonnen fight and the second. Win's a win right?

say wha?

did you watch the fight? Or just get the result off wikipedia?

Dominating vs a close decision where you took a lot of damage to the face is a huge difference.

According to your logic there's no difference between the first anderson/sonnen fight and the second. Win's a win right?

So if Jones was only 6'1", he just would've won close decisions over Vitor, Machida, Rampage, Rashad, Shogun, etc.

You're right, he sucks.

LOL So even Dana is discrediting Gus now? I've always thought Dana was stupid but that takes the cake. I mean if Jones is only great because he's beating smaller guys, what does that say about Gus? Gus was taller than Bones.

Agree, it's such bullshit that I'm shocked that some people actually agree with since it means that Gus's entire effort wasn't because he's a great boxer with fast hands, is tough and durable, and has tremendous heart, but that only being tall and long is what got those results.

Edit: It also means that Gus's has had success for the same reason since all of his wins have come against smaller guys as well.

Eh Gus' chin was a large part of why the fight was so competitive.

People are really overselling the reach/size thing

Back