Dana White "Palhares won't be back"

1 full second and 1 full crank after the ref jumped in actually. Go let someone armbar you and tell me if that's a reasonable thing to do after the tap.

Yeah Ive got to agree some. I mentioned earlier Ive been watcchin all the earlier UFC events and leg locks were much more common. I never seen this problem once. Somehow, Palhares is the only one to have gotten trouble for holding a leg lock too long. And he did it twice

He is also the first person to give someone a lasting injury by holding a sub attempt after the tap. And he did it twice

Take a look around. There is quite a bit of backlash over cutting both Okami and Palhares. You think these two cuts are coincidences? Two high profile fighters being let go back to back?

You actually believe the UFC's reasoning for letting him go, which proves to me you have little idea what you're seeing out there. If you think he held the submission too long, you've not watched many fights. If you think he was being malicious out there, you need to go back to the drawing board.

What do you mean here? I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm a Palhares fan, I can see why he was cut but pissed that it happened...but not grasping what you mean by coincidence?

Dana has said that before. We'll see in a year or so.

Live with the consequences, Not his first or 2nd time making the same mistake. Dude is a major liability at this point.

1 week since Palhares left us. Still cant believe it. So sad.

IMO Palhares is slightly retarded and I don't mean that in a bashing way, but every time he gets pulled up for this I genuinely believe he has no idea what he's doing wrong. I don't know much about his history, a social outcast maybe?

IMO Palhares is slightly retarded and I don't mean that in a bashing way, but every time he gets pulled up for this I genuinely believe he has no idea what he's doing wrong. I don't know much about his history, a social outcast maybe?

Oh for sure.
That's one of the reasons I love the guy - he just seems like a massive baby! Watch him after submitting Salaverry on his UFC debut. He wanders about with a docile grin on his face, lifts Ivan up, he's like a big child. He's definitely not 'all there', IMO.

I still think Pierce could have beat him if it wasn't for the illegal heel hook. Would have loved to have seen a rematch.

Thanks for the link, fair post. I have to say I have my doubts about the veracity of those numbers for a number of reasons. Take a look at how many entry level guys are making $6000 and they're paying a guy like Palhares $7,000? A veteran of the octagon for 6 years, with a dozen fights in the cage? Doesnt add up to me.

And lets not forget the submission of the night bonus which he was shorted out of, over what exactly? An alleged unsportsmanlike submission? I think the facts put that argument to rest rather quickly. And with the incredibly high tax rate imposed on Brazilian fighters in Brazil, I would wager we're talking about a disclosed pay rate versus what was agreed to under the table.

Some links to consider:
http://www.fightline.com/rafael-natal-done-fighting-brazil-due-high-taxes/

In my opinion the UFC as a gesture of common decency could have given Mike Pierce Palhares SOTN bonus for going through that. I know no one needs to do that. But it would have been a very nice gesture from Dana depending on how badly injured Pierce's leg/knee/ankle is.

In my opinion the UFC as a gesture of common decency could have given Mike Pierce Palhares SOTN bonus for going through that. I know no one needs to do that. But it would have been a very nice gesture from Dana depending on how badly injured Pierce's leg/knee/ankle is.

I havent thought about that but I absolutely agree. UFC should definitely help compensate fighters for injuries caused by illegal shots/subs. I really dont think it would be a bad thing for the UFC to cover medical expenses for any fighter that is seriously injured in a fight really, but they should absolutely help guys out that have damage inflicted after the referee intervenes

The UFC just wants to clean the roster off of fighters making more money then the UFC wants to actually pay. Thats why Okami went and its why Palhares went too. Its not about how long he held the submission, but rather finding an excuse to justify their decision.

Zuffa is all about the bottom line. Doing the right thing is not on their agenda. Only making as much money as possible with as little investment as possible.

Out with guys who make money. In with guys who are desperate enough to sign on the dotted line for pennies on the dollar.

The_Devil__s_Contract_by_JC_790514.gif

Even if this is true I'm glad to see Paul Harris gone period. What he has been doing is completely unacceptable. Way different from Okami. The UFC made the right move regardless of their motivations

Last edited:
Most unfortunate.

The UFC needs to have the best fighters in it's roster.

Most unfortunate indeed.

Last edited:
Palhares submission on Pierce was not only completely ordinary in terms of submissions, but hardly the prolonged and malicious hold that it has been made out to be in order to justify the UFC's decision to cut him. The UFC's position is utterly ridiculous, and is only meant to justify their decision. Not to actually hit on factual points.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/palhares-never-cranked-imo-ref-pushing-him-backward-2578557/

You know to be honest when I seen the video from the back angle I did not believe that Rousimar cranked on the leg at all and even though he releases the hold around 1 second after the referee intervenes this GIF image shows he clearly cranked again. I watched it a few times thinking perhaps his body positioning had changed so instead of cranking hard before the ref stops it that he may have slid onto his back with the leg and it only appeared that he cranked it.

But watching it again from the reverse front angle it is clear he did crank it again (Or he was actually in the process of pulling back applying more pressure to the heel hook ) even after Pierce was frantically tapping. There is absolutely NO reason for him to have kept the hold up, but knowing his prior history and the fact his childlike innocence makes him appear simple it is no wonder he held onto it longer than he should have.

Since his fight against Dan Miller and his early jump on top of the cage thinking he had won I believe he was even more tentative after that about when the fight would be stopped and how he should continue. He does not seem to have a good fight IQ at all. As evidenced by his fights against Nate Marquardt and Dan Miller. I think his problem tends to be that he is a Jiu-Jitsu competitor coming from tournaments and making the transition to cage fighting he tended to have that tournament mindset. I may be mistaken of course.

Last edited:
Back