Dana White: Once Ben Askren becomes a free agent, I’ll meet with him

Ultimate Fighting Askren

Your boy?

Lol at the WW division being currently the most exciting. Aside from 3,4 guys that division is so dead right now. What a casual.
You post a gay gif of GSP and don’t understand who I call your boy?

Colvington, Till, Usman, Ponzinhibo, Perry, Wonderboy, Woodley are all exciting fighters and make for a way more exciting div now that your boy isn’t here to blanket everyone into boredom.

The guy is still boring. Why is Dana White open to signing him now?
Askren is still an A-level social media shit talker. That's what moves the needle these days. He wants more welterweight twitter beefs.

The Welterweight division will forever feel empty without the king.

tumblr_mc0pr0pY2o1qdncs5o1_r2_500.gif
we have woodley now who is even better though.
gsp lost to hendricks anyway. That shows his real level.
woodley
usman
would beat him comfortably.

Dude probably should have tried to be less boring in his prime

He has one decision in his last 10 fights, he's like a more exciting Khabib that goes for the finish.

Erm.... If ya didn't already know....
After nine undefeated years, the mixed martial arts career of Ben Askren will reach an end on Nov. 24 when Askren looks to defend his ONE welterweight title in his retirement fight against Shinya Aoki at ONE Championship: Immortal Pursuit.

While the announcement came as a surprise to many, Askren says the decision to walk away from fighting is one he has long considered, and ultimately, the 33-year-old Olympian — who last week badly outclassed Zebaztian Kadestam to retain his 170-pound title at ONE Championship: Shanghai — believes that two major points factored into his thinking.

“The first reason is because nobody retires in time,” Askren said Tuesday on The MMA Hour. “I mean, you think about who retires during their prime, the number of athletes who do that in any sport is very small. And obviously a sport like golf, where you see Tiger Woods fall off — well, there’s not really too much damage he could take from that, right? Although when you watch him and he sucks, and you’re like, ‘God, he used to be so good, but you suck now,’ it’s kind of disconcerting as a fan, right? But then you look at someone like Muhammad Ali, who was literally my favorite athlete of all-time. The punishment he took from sticking around too long past his prime, man, I would have to say — we can’t prove it, but I’d have to say we could guess it led to a lot of the problems that he had later in his life.

“So we’re in a combat sport, it’s dangerous, and

Askren is not worth his asking price. Great fighter, not a great draw.

Who cares about his draw we're trying to find the best fighters in this sport amiright?

This is one of the few fights, GSP might take.

He will claim, he is doing it for his "legacy" but really he is doing it because Askren is a winnable fight for GSP and a fight where getting KO'd is basically non-existant.

I'm begging for this to happen. Askrens age is fine. Given his body type and fighting style, he could compete another 6/7 years if he wanted.

Isn’t he fighting at 85 now?

Feed him to Yoel

One FC doesn't allow massive weight cutting. They do hydration tests and monitor their fighters weights. After instituting this all the champions moved up a weight class. 185 in One is equivalent to WW everywhere else because they don't cut.

He struggled with an aged Herion, ANY UFC WW would more than likely run over him easily.

Anyone seriously thinking he’d give GSP any issues what so ever should watch both thier Herion fights back to back, and realize Herion was better when GSP fought him and tell me again what you think would happen.

He struggled with an aged Herion, ANY UFC WW would more than likely run over him easily.

Anyone seriously thinking he’d give GSP any issues what so ever should watch both thier Herion fights back to back, and realize Herion was better when GSP fought him and tell me again what you think would happen.

Those fights were 7 and 14 years ago respectively. They have very bearing on how Askren and GSP would do against each other today.

Sherdog is an echo chamber of disinformation. He's boring, he cant strike, he's just another wrestler, he doesnt draw... but apparently these guys dont watch him fight.

He's probably trying to fuck with him again.

I am a white belt so I can't post a thread so i'll use this thread to say that I think Ben just confirmed that he will fight in the UFC.

Video is timestamped.

Why would he be talking about the 165lb division like that? Like he is going into the ufc and hopes they get that division

Back