Dana White: Once Ben Askren becomes a free agent, I’ll meet with him

Askren hasn't really been in trouble since the Sapo fight. He handled everyone in Bellator at the time handily and has the credentials to back it up.
Askren's skillset just seems outdated. Sure, it would have been amazing in 2010 when everyone wanted to see him in the UFC. But he has 0 striking, no power, and he's small. He's just really good at wrestling. That doesn't work at a top level in 2018. The sport's evolved and he hasn't. He needs some striking, some power, or more size. The top 5-10 UFC guys would kill him. He'd look like a dwarf next to Usman and Colby.

GSP did say he wanted to fight him..soo it's probably going to happen.
From what I seen and read GSP was saying Askren needs to build a name it does nothing for GS considering most people don't have a clue who Askren is. Anyone know remember when his contract expires?

From what I seen and read GSP was saying Askren needs to build a name it does nothing for GS considering most people don't have a clue who Askren is. Anyone know remember when his contract expires?

No clue when his contract expires.

IMO GSP wouldn't call a person out unless his intent is to fight him sooner or later. Perhaps he is waiting for Askren to win a fight or two before they fight or maybe not. But from what I can tell, GSP is banking on Khabib/Conor first and if this doesn't work out he will likely fight somebody else in the mean time.

The guy is still boring. Why is Dana White open to signing him now?

bring him in to get wrecked by some young upstart. that's what i think Dana is doing anyway.

there's no other reason, if he thinks Askren can win, he shouldn't bring him over because he's going to be a GSP blanket minus the rabid Canadian fans willing to pay to watch him do it.

Askren is not worth his asking price. Great fighter, not a great draw.
Who gives a fuck. I wanna see him fight. Him being a draw or not aint puttin money in my fuckin pocket

bring him in to get wrecked by some young upstart. that's what i think Dana is doing anyway.

there's no other reason, if he thinks Askren can win, he shouldn't bring him over because he's going to be a GSP blanket minus the rabid Canadian fans willing to pay to watch him do it.

The Jake Shields treatment.

He has something gsp lacks. Hair and funkyness.

The contract that Askren signed with ONE FC is for six fights over two years and he will earn $50,000 guaranteed just for showing up to his (yet unscheduled) first bout, with another $50,000 in bonus pay should he emerge victorious. He also has an incentive included in the agreement that specifies his winnings increase for each subsequent bout, should he continue winning... as per mma mania.

But then I found this from 2016 on mma fighting.

"I've got six fights left with ONE," Askren told MMA Fighting. "Then I told them, it's not a guarantee I'll be done, but I think there's a high likelihood that after those six fights I'll be calling it a day."

So looks like he re signed or re negotiated with One and has 2 fights left interesting....

One will probably let him go. They can't find credible guys for him.

Askren's skillset just seems outdated. Sure, it would have been amazing in 2010 when everyone wanted to see him in the UFC. But he has 0 striking, no power, and he's small. He's just really good at wrestling. That doesn't work at a top level in 2018. The sport's evolved and he hasn't. He needs some striking, some power, or more size. The top 5-10 UFC guys would kill him. He'd look like a dwarf next to Usman and Colby.
How do you know that he hasn't evolved? He's clearly not showing 100% of what he has in ONE cause he doesn't need to.
The best way to know that is to sign him and put him in the octagon.

Your boy is busy picking cherries, the WW division is currently the most exciting and he’s doing his best to avoid the Woodley, Till and Colvington of the roster.
Your boy?

Lol at the WW division being currently the most exciting. Aside from 3,4 guys that division is so dead right now. What a casual.

i don't know, he handled Douglas Lima pretty good and Douglas Lima was just in an absolute war with Rory MacDonald, a guy lots of people thought would be heir to GSP's throne and nearly was.

and being really good at wrestling isn't something that should be taken lightly. it's widely accepted that wrestling is one of, if not the, best base to start off on as an MMA fighter, and this guy is REALLY good at it.

his striking doesn't have to be good, he doesn't need power, he doesn't need size. the only thing he REALLY needs, is the ability to take the other guy down, and if he does that, the guy might never get back up.

Dana will wait another few years to sign him, then when he is close to 40 will match him up against a contender who he will hope will beat Askren so Dana can claim that Askren was never that great. Dana will achieve making money and getting revenge at the same event.

Ben Askren raping Tyrone Woodley without throwing a punch would be GLORIOUS

Oh great, like WW isn't an all time boring ufc division already. Fucking Woodley, Colby, Usman, Maia aren't enough already? Hell even the strikers Wonderboy and Till are putting people to sleep.

Dana waited too long. We will never know what a prime Askren could or couldn't do.
tenor.gif

Isn’t he fighting at 85 now?

Feed him to Yoel

Back