Dana White on PFL champ Kayla Harrison joining UFC: 'I don't know if she's ready'

What he really meant was “I’m not sure we are willing to pay her asking price”

Reactions: lsa
Aspen ladd hasnt fought in a year and a half.

Must have made a nice impression on her sex addicted boss.

What he really meant was “I’m not sure we are willing to pay her asking price”

Yeah and then, who would she fight?
Can they even make more than 1-2 fights for her?
Look at 145 its a waste land and UFC has done nothing to build it the last few years.

If Dana acknowledges someone's existence it usually means he wants them. Kayla clearly wants to come over at the end of the year.

I'm very confident this is happening.

Doesn’t she make a million bucks for winning a PFL tournament?

I don’t watch PFL.

Why would she go to the UFC and fight stronger people for less money

She's a competitor who wants to prove she's the best, that's why she's a double Olympic champion.

It's not like they're going to offer her 10/10 either.

If Dana acknowledges someone's existence it usually means he wants them. Kayla clearly wants to come over at the end of the year.

I'm very confident this is happening.

Where would she fight?
155? 145?

lol. Dana White signed CM Punk and 1-0 Danyelle Wolf.

Kayla Harrison isn't ready?
<YeahOKJen>
I think he said that they offered her a contract and she declined. That does sound like she isn't ready. Some people want to spend time getting better before they come into the UFC like Jiri did. He was pretty clear that he wanted her to fight for the UFC, but it was her management that was holding things up.

145, she made the weight for a one off fight in Invicta last year.

So the division would be 2-3 persons?
I dont really see it.
I think Kayla comes with a pretty big price tag.
And for Dana to open up the wallet...
UFC has done nothing since Cyborg to build the 145.

Cool if Kayla signs but I doubt she will get to fight much.

So the division would be 2-3 persons?
I dont really see it.
I think Kayla comes with a pretty big price tag.
And for Dana to open up the wallet...
UFC has done nothing since Cyborg to build the 145.

Cool if Kayla signs but I doubt she will get to fight much.

It'd be for the Nunes fight initially, then if she beats Amanda they'll just fill the division full of whoever to give her fights. Even if she absolutely runs through her opposition I'm not sure it's a problem. The last time they had an Olympic judoka absolutely destroying her opposition worked out pretty nicely for them financially after all.

It'd be for the Nunes fight initially, then if she beats Amanda they'll just fill the division full of whoever to give her fights. Even if she absolutely runs through her opposition I'm not sure it's a problem. The last time they had an Olympic judoka absolutely destroying her opposition worked out pretty nicely for them financially after all.

and who would that be?
Look at how it was when Cyborg fought.
People claimed "if they build it people will come".
Nobody came.
Then Amanda beat Cyborg and has fought who at 145?
There are nobody really out there to fight.
And paying Kayla what ever she demands to fight scrubs?
Is it worth it?
I am all for Kayla in the UFC I like judo. But if here is nobody to fight? No thanks. Undersized / out of shape 135 or inexperienced 145ers are not for me.
We seen it with Cyborg.

and who would that be?
Look at how it was when Cyborg fought.
People claimed "if they build it people will come".
Nobody came.
Then Amanda beat Cyborg and has fought who at 145?
There are nobody really out there to fight.
And paying Kayla what ever she demands to fight scrubs?
Is it worth it?
I am all for Kayla in the UFC I like judo. But if here is nobody to fight? No thanks. Undersized / out of shape 135 or inexperienced 145ers are not for me.
We seen it with Cyborg.

Cyborg still drew though, the only reason they let her go is she was difficult to work with. They're not going to be thinking about it from a competitive match making perspective, just from a "can we make money out of this?" perspective.

I think for Kayla's career she is better off fighting in Bellator. At least there are bloated 135ers with actual resumes fighting at featherweight in Bellator. By the end of her contract there she might be able to do a one off fight with Nunes to unify the featherweight title, and by that time Nunes would likely be near retirement.

Cyborg still drew though, the only reason they let her go is she was difficult to work with. They're not going to be thinking about it from a competitive match making perspective, just from a "can we make money out of this?" perspective.

Yeah fighting scrubs and overblown smaller fighters.
Is that what you want for Kayla?
And I have a feeling Kayla wants more than they paid Cyborg.
And during Cyborg the UFC did not even have a ranking for the div on the website.

and secondly this is what she said about Amanda last year
"But there is another piece that has realized through competition, if it's meant to be, it will happen. For my own personal reasons, I would love to fight Amanda someday and test my skills against her. I'm not ready for that yet, but I know that I will be ready someday, and hopefully she'll still be fighting by then and we'll do it with respect and integrity.”

So even according to Kayla the Amanda fight would be in a distance future, and might not even happen.

Personally I think the UFC should close down the 145 and focus on the lighter weight classes where there is actual fighters.
The 145 and up are waste lands and more of freak show fights.

But then I dont run UFC and thank god for that.

lol. Dana White signed CM Punk and 1-0 Danyelle Wolf.

Kayla Harrison isn't ready?
<YeahOKJen>

another reason why Pride > UFC in terms of building stars from the ground up

They literally had guys like Yoshida, Hunt make their debut vs guys like Don Frye and Wanderlei Silva.

Hell, in Mirko's first 3 fights (aside from the Takada nonsense) in Pride, he fought Wanderlei, Saku, and Heath Herring (followed by Big Nog lol)

Pawel Nastula fought Big Nog, Aleks, Josh Barnett and Edson Drago in his first few fights in Pride.

They brought over the best of the best from other disciplines and just threw them in the deep end of the pool. No fucks given. And they did it right.

She's a competitor who wants to prove she's the best, that's why she's a double Olympic champion.

It's not like they're going to offer her 10/10 either.

No definitely not.

nut even if they offer her 50/50 plus Venom sponsorship.

There’s no external sponsors allowed in the octagon.

It’ll be a dramatic pay cut for the sake of challenging herself unless she becomes the champion.

Yeah fighting scrubs and overblown smaller fighters.
Is that what you want for Kayla?
And I have a feeling Kayla wants more than they paid Cyborg.
And during Cyborg the UFC did not even have a ranking for the div on the website.

and secondly this is what she said about Amanda last year
"But there is another piece that has realized through competition, if it's meant to be, it will happen. For my own personal reasons, I would love to fight Amanda someday and test my skills against her. I'm not ready for that yet, but I know that I will be ready someday, and hopefully she'll still be fighting by then and we'll do it with respect and integrity.”

So even according to Kayla the Amanda fight would be in a distance future, and might not even happen.

Personally I think the UFC should close down the 145 and focus on the lighter weight classes where there is actual fighters.
The 145 and up are waste lands and more of freak show fights.

But then I dont run UFC and thank god for that.

She might fight Spencer or something before fighting Amanda, but that's the fight they'll make.

I understand your point, but I'm still very confident this happens.

Back