Dana White on Nick Newell:

Welllll, Newel did just sub a guy in 1 minute whereas it took Eddie Alvarez three rounds to sub the same guy. Who knows, maybe Nick could climb the ladder to being worthy of a UFC fight.

I don't think it can happen personally unless they made some sort of seperate division

Questions would need to be answered about whether he has an advantage on the ground and how they will pad his arm, as I don't think they do that at the moment do they? Getting hit by the clean bone part at the end of the arm wouldn't be pleasant

He has my full respect, but I don't think disabled and able bodied athletes compete against each other in any other sport do they?

Jim Abbott ring a bell?

Maybe Kyle Maynard will be next.

Dana is basically going on record that he would not sign Newell based on his disability. I think there's a law or two against that.

You should probably watch the video. He says he doesn't think any big commissions would let him fight and that'd hinder his ability to fight on certain cards.

If he earns his way into the UFC I don't see why not. What he's been able to do up to this point is incredible. I say give the guy his shot if he earns it.

There is no way a fighter with only one arm would stand a chance against a UFC caliber opponent.

That's a ridiculous statement. The UFC has had tons of low end fighters on their roster who lose and get cut.

Newell shouldn't be excluded because of what people automatically assume might happen to him. He can fight, plain and simple. Just watch him fight and it will change your entire opinion. And if he continues to win fights he should be given the opportunity based on that. Everyone has to start from somewhere regardless of anything. If he keeps winning fights its inevitable, he will fight in the UFC.

His highlights are impressive.

Not fair though, he has that advantage where his opponent doesn't think he's in a seriously threatening fight until he gets fucking cracked by the no hand.

His highlights are impressive.

Not fair though, he has that advantage where his opponent doesn't think he's in a seriously threatening fight until he gets fucking cracked by the no hand.

LMAO well too bad for them if they underestimate him.

Womans mma is bad enough. We dont need anymore handicapped divisions or anything. Anyone who takes a fight with that guy( or that guy with no limbs) is an absolute joke.

Remember the Kyle Maynard fight? Had special rules and opponent just controlled the stand up and won a decision.

He was a baseball pitcher with one arm and he was great.

Although baseball isn't a contact sport.

Just as impressive tho! Would have thought you'd need the other arm for leverage and balance

He would definitely have to make it through TUF and win the whole thing in order to ever have a chance. The UFC would have to ensure the majority of Athletic Commissions would sanction his fights. Dana White has never seen him fight, and the media made it sound like he has no arm at all.

If Dana White watched his highlights, I am sure he would admit the kid should get a shot through TUF, but that's it.

I don't think he should get a shot just b/c he has 1 1/2 arms. He should not get special treatment. However he should also not be denied b/c he has 1 1/2 arms. If he's good enough to pick up some wins and if the UFC would call him if he had 2 full arms, then he should get the call now.

Last edited:
I'd much rather see Dana reap the ratings off of someone like Nick who is overcoming adversity, than he did with Kimbo who was just a circus act.

In Dana's defense on Kimbo, he made the guy go through TUF and then cut him after 2 poor undercard performances. EliteXC was the company that played the circus act, putting the dude in main events and hyping him up to be some sort of world beater.

Dana is basically going on record that he would not sign Newell based on his disability. I think there's a law or two against that.

Give me a fucking break. Dana is far from 'basically' saying that.

Back