Dana White on Nick Newell:

Check the records of the guys that he has fought though. 16-6 for the guy to win the belt but aside from that, there are a lot of 1-7, 0-3, 0-4 fighters.

Better than Azamat Gashimov's record.

Neither one of his opponents had one win or even competed in MMA. He also lost to a guy who was making his pro debut yet the UFC signed him up.

Better than Azamat Gashimov's record.

Neither one of his opponents had one win or even competed in MMA. He also lost to a guy who was making his pro debut yet the UFC signed him up.

Im not against UFC signing him. Im just providing evidence for both cases. Nick is an inspirational story. I'd just hate to see him in over his head.

Do you know what a synonym is? Because maybe and possibly are synonyms.

i think that that the word maybe has a greater probability of coming to fruition, whereas possibly, at least to my mind, sounds less likely to actually occur.

nevertheless, i can appreciate dana\s concerns for this remarkable young man.

winning or not, two arms or not, there is a great deal of risk when fighting in the ufc, but i am kind of on the fence.

i am not suggesting that people with what we generally perceive as disabilities need our help and we are to lord over them or protect them thus undercutting their autonomy, yet there is something about the possibility of a one armed man fighting in teh ufc that concerns me for his well being.

Dana is basically going on record that he would not sign Newell based on his disability. I think there's a law or two against that.

Dana also said we would never see women in the ufc...

Its kind of a shitty position to put his opponents in. If he wins, the mental midget crowd that comprises a large portion of fight fans will remember said fighter as "the dude that got beat by the dude with one arm", if they win, it will be dismissed due to the advantage they had in the fight.

Regardless, I personally don't care. Put him in there, he's not going to be fighting a bunch of scrub 0-3 fighters and the like in the UFC. He might make it out of the facebook prelims...

but I doubt it.

He's a good fighter but I don't think he's gonna be in the UFC.The UFC is more mainstream than ever. I think the UFC is worried about public opinion. They've been successful in helping legitimize MMA to the rest of the world and I believe that having a disabled fighter in the UFC would sort of ruin the legitimacy of the UFC in the eyes of some fans (the cockfighting comparisons would be endless).

he shouldn't be fighting in UFC unless he is so damn good which would be a miracle almost.. you dont see many athletes in major pro sports like him

He's a good fighter but I don't think he's gonna be in the UFC.The UFC is more mainstream than ever. I think the UFC is worried about public opinion. They've been successful in helping legitimize MMA to the rest of the world and I believe that having a disabled fighter in the UFC would sort of ruin the legitimacy of the UFC in the eyes of some fans (the cockfighting comparisons would be endless).

Thats why james toney and brock lesnar got to fight the UFC elites in their debuts lol.

Sorry i had to. I know the ufc has tried but some of the stuff they do just makes you wonder.

Legitimately giving chael sonnen a title shot is hilarious.

The fact is that Nick Newell just beat Eric Reynolds who is a legit fighter. The UFC has signed regional guys like Tiequan Zhang and Mitch Clarke whose resumes were much less proven than Newell's. I would like to see Newell beat another decent opponent before possibly signing with a bigger promotion, but to disregard Newell's actual skills is stupid.

Go watch his fight with Reynolds for anyone that is a non-believer. Reynolds' only other losses were to top-level competition (Eddie Alvarez, Masvidal, Palomino, and a split-decision loss to Rob Emerson).

If he proves himself to be UFC caliber, then he for sure deserves a shot, who says the best fighter in the world can't have one arm?

hahaha I can see the hate threads now! Bro only has one arm, such an unfair advantage!

The fact is that Nick Newell just beat Eric Reynolds who is a legit fighter. The UFC has signed regional guys like Tiequan Zhang and Mitch Clarke whose resumes were much less proven than Newell's. I would like to see Newell beat another decent opponent before possibly signing with a bigger promotion, but to disregard Newell's actual skills is stupid.

This.

sounds a lot more open to it than he was about women's mma...

There is no way a fighter with only one arm would stand a chance against a UFC caliber opponent.

There is no way a fighter with only one arm would stand a chance against a UFC caliber opponent.

He doesn't have one arm. If you've seen him fight you'd understand that. A fucking simple view of his Sherdog profile even shows this.

1355295852newell.jpg

Back