Dana White on Nick Newell:

He's a local fighter. I've seen him fight a half dozen times or so. One of his wins was against another guy with only one hand.

He seems like a good guy but fighting in the UFC is a different story than fighting on the local circuit.

The guys won by a rear naked choke how the fuck do you do that with one arm?

Tbf it's not as black and white as that

First off, he has the other arm. Secondly, his opponent can't grab his opponents hand or fingers to defend himself

First off, he has the other arm. Secondly, his opponent can't grab his opponents hand or fingers to defend himself

Yup. Another advantage I failed to mention. BJJ against him would be awkward.

If he keeps winning he at least deserves a chance. Why deny him that?

He's got a record comparable and even superior to other guys who have gone on to fight in the UFC.

If he keeps winning he at least deserves a chance. Why deny him that?

He's got a record comparable and even superior to other guys who have gone on to fight in the UFC.

Check the records of the guys that he has fought though. 16-6 for the guy to win the belt but aside from that, there are a lot of 1-7, 0-3, 0-4 fighters.

youre not alone dana
but a dude did win the ncaa d1 wrestling championship with only one leg
its weird, but if he wins, he wins. and then he gets in the ufc
plus, you know, ratings, you know, what the ufc live for.

Ohh ok they made it sound like he was armless from the shoulder down

Check the records of the guys that he has fought though. 16-6 for the guy to win the belt but aside from that, there are a lot of 1-7, 0-3, 0-4 fighters.

There are plenty of UFC fighters whose pre-ufc record is padded with similar competition. In fact, a lot of guys have taken losses to fighters with losing records prior to their UFC career.
Give the kid a chance.

Dana is basically going on record that he would not sign Newell based on his disability. I think there's a law or two against that.

dana will sign him
dana lies alot
dana wants what sells
freakshows sell
specially if the theyre winning freakshows

youre not alone dana
but a dude did win the ncaa d1 wrestling championship with only one leg
its weird, but if he wins, he wins. and then he gets in the ufc
plus, you know, ratings, you know, what the ufc live for.

I'd much rather see Dana reap the ratings off of someone like Nick who is overcoming adversity, than he did with Kimbo who was just a circus act.

whats your point? didnt they have 2 full arms?

Lotta closed minded people in here!

You think we're bad, the media would be worse. If he loses in the UFC in devastating fashion, Fox news would blow up all over the story.

Dana is basically going on record that he would not sign Newell based on his disability. I think there's a law or two against that.

Pretty sure that's for discrimination when there is no logical reason to do so besides ruling them out for their disability.

You would be exempt from the law in any profession where it could cause lasting harm to yourself or others. This guy would not be allowed to use a pneumatic drill or climb a regular ladder either. It's a sad truth.

There are plenty of UFC fighters whose pre-ufc record is padded with similar competition. In fact, a lot of guys have taken losses to fighters with losing records prior to their UFC career.
Give the kid a chance.

Im not saying dont give him a chance. Im kind of playing both sides here because its a touchy situation. He's earned where he is, but also, fighter safety is an issue.

It's really the best for the guy to stay out of UFC. There's absolutely no way he would compete with a healthy fighter.

whats your point? didnt they have 2 full arms?

actually one of them didnt. My point is that UFC is a HUGE step up in competition. Im not even saying dont give him a chance, but it will put the guy hes fighting in a bad situation as well. It might be hard for him to find a fight.

If SportsCenter does an inspirational segment about him, you can bet Dana's reservations will disappear real quick.

Back