Dana White: 'No problem' if Eddie Alvarez wants to finish career outside UFC

Unfortunately his last fight did terrible numbers and was the lowest rated UFC on Fox ever despite being a great card and getting more promotion than the average Fox card. I love watching his fights but that's going to hurt him when it comes to negotiations.

Yeah, I didn't want to rant on and on in my post but that was on my mind... Basically fights don't even seem relevant to the general public (casuals). He masses of sheep tune in for hype alone, and there's no one formula for success there.

Dana makes me sick sometimes. He’s shitting Eddie who is one of the best fighters in his division, which also happens to be the best division in the UFC which makes him one of the best fighters in the world.

Translation: if you want to resign for less money great, I’ll be richer, if not go somewhere else, I don’t care. Thanks for getting you brains knocked in.
I agree with you. He really is a scumbag. I dont wish anything bad on anyone, but if Dana got fired and had some huge fall from grace as a result of his fuckery, I wouldnt be sad

The subtext here is that Dana would love to keep Eddie (he's as exciting as a fighter gets) but the UFC won't be willing to pay him what he's been making, because they see him as on the decline.

Basically, this is a cop-out. This is the fight business. Exciting fighters tune in viewers. The UFC just doesn't want to pay anyone unless they're on the rise and they feel compelled to, or that person markets themselves (because we all know the UFC is apparently incapable of conducting their own quality marketing).
"Exciting fighters tune in viewers." This does not apply to Eddie. He just headlined the lowest rated FOX show ever. I would rather Eddie re-sign for an amount that makes both parties happy but to say he is so exciting that viewers tune in is not factual.

“I like Eddie Alvarez,” White said on the “UFC Unfiltered” podcast. “I like him personally, and I like him professionally. He’s at an age now where he needs to make some decisions for his family and for what will probably be the last contract he signs for the rest of his career. I’m in a place if Eddie wants to go somewhere else and try it, I’m cool with that. If Eddie wants to stay, I’d keep him here too.

“I told him that. I told him, ‘Listen, if you want to finish your career with me I would like that. If you want to finish your career somewhere else, I have no problem with that either, man.’ When guys get to the point where it’s the last contract they’ll ever sign, I understand.”

With Alvarez’s 35th birthday coming up in January, though, history would indicate he’s got more years behind him in the sport than he does ahead. White said the door is open for him to stay in the UFC under the right terms, but Alvarez doesn’t necessarily fit the mold of what the UFC boss is looking for at this point. So if a better offer comes along, White said he wouldn’t blame Alvarez for taking it.

“At the end of the day, what we’re looking for here are young guys that want to be world champions,” White said. “Young guys that know they can be a world champion in the UFC. Or girls that know they can be a world champion in the UFC. If you feel that you can’t be and you feel there’s a better decision you can make at this point in your career for the last contract you’ll ever sign, I absolutely understand that.”

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/08/dana-white-ok-if-eddie-alvarez-leaves-ufc/amp

...in other words: Dana made a shitty offer and is saying through the media: "Take it or leave it".

Dana being Dana

You all called Eddie out for not taking the Dustin rematch and shit on him. Then he takes it and loses and you still shit on him. The hate for him (and I'm honestly not all that familiar with him other than his UFC run) is kinda sick considering you were all on his nuts prior to that. Sherdog sure does seem to pick odd people to hate, the Benson Henderson hate on this site was unreal for how good of a guy he is.
The Benson hate comes from the Christianphobes. Is normal.

Back to bellator to beat primus and rematch chandler imo

Seems Eddie is going back to Bellator. There are some goods fight for Eddie in Bellator, give him Josh Thomson or Benson Henderson in his return fight and if he wins, strip Brent Primus of the belt and do Alvarez/Chandler 3 for the vacant belt!

Isn’t the 70s like 50 years ago?

Maybe stop raping them for their money? Taking the majority of the money and paying them peanuts in dividends? Let them earn some sponsor money?
Did he rape Eddie for his money?

I disagree with Dana. Having fighters like Cerrone, Immortal, Barbarian, Magny, Alvarez, Boa Constrictor, etc, is very important to every division. These dudes are not gunning for a belt, but they help sustain a healthy deep weight class, filling out the middle between the rising prospects on the bottom and the champions/contenders on top.
And that’s why he’d prefer to keep Eddie. Like he said.

Dana makes me sick sometimes. He’s shitting Eddie who is one of the best fighters in his division, which also happens to be the best division in the UFC which makes him one of the best fighters in the world.

Translation: if you want to resign for less money great, I’ll be richer, if not go somewhere else, I don’t care. Thanks for getting you brains knocked in.
Quote the comment that is “shitting Eddie”.

Dana’s way of saying the UFC won’t be offering Eddie a bigger contract than he currently has, so he may as well field offers from the competition. Alvarez had a great run in the UFC, won himself a belt, but his name/brand never really took off. Now he’s going into negotiations on a loss. Not a great spot to be in.

Never a huge fan of Eddie but have enjoyed a fair shake of his scraps.

Can't fault Dana's logic on re-uping contracts. Value is everything, loyalty is a red herring...

"Exciting fighters tune in viewers." This does not apply to Eddie. He just headlined the lowest rated FOX show ever. I would rather Eddie re-sign for an amount that makes both parties happy but to say he is so exciting that viewers tune in is not factual.

I pointed out the falsity of that in my second post. Fact is, most people (at least in the US) don't care about watching combat sports. They tune in only to watch fighters who have somehow generated cultural hype (which can accumulate through different means, obviously).

The UFC always has most of the leverage. You’re expendable, it’s fact. People still Conor is untouchable but even he’s expendable. He may have a bit more leverage than the average fighter but ain’t nobody crying for him if he walks away today. The big wheel keeps on turnin.

Great, give another big name to Bellator. Alvarez always puts on exciting shows and could beat anyone barring McGregor on any given day. Huge blow for the UFC to let him go.

Hope your Conor money fight paid you well Eddie, because all you got left is getting crushed by Chandler at this point and I don't know how Bellator will pay you.

Back