Dana White: 'No problem' if Eddie Alvarez wants to finish career outside UFC

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
“I like Eddie Alvarez,” White said on the “UFC Unfiltered” podcast. “I like him personally, and I like him professionally. He’s at an age now where he needs to make some decisions for his family and for what will probably be the last contract he signs for the rest of his career. I’m in a place if Eddie wants to go somewhere else and try it, I’m cool with that. If Eddie wants to stay, I’d keep him here too.

“I told him that. I told him, ‘Listen, if you want to finish your career with me I would like that. If you want to finish your career somewhere else, I have no problem with that either, man.’ When guys get to the point where it’s the last contract they’ll ever sign, I understand.”

With Alvarez’s 35th birthday coming up in January, though, history would indicate he’s got more years behind him in the sport than he does ahead. White said the door is open for him to stay in the UFC under the right terms, but Alvarez doesn’t necessarily fit the mold of what the UFC boss is looking for at this point. So if a better offer comes along, White said he wouldn’t blame Alvarez for taking it.

“At the end of the day, what we’re looking for here are young guys that want to be world champions,” White said. “Young guys that know they can be a world champion in the UFC. Or girls that know they can be a world champion in the UFC. If you feel that you can’t be and you feel there’s a better decision you can make at this point in your career for the last contract you’ll ever sign, I absolutely understand that.”

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/08/dana-white-ok-if-eddie-alvarez-leaves-ufc/amp

Eddie took a big risk with the Poirier fight being his last on his contract.

Eddie should have asked for at least $10 mill for the Conor fight. (which was supposed to be "easy money")

That's Dana's polite version of 'only the best fight in the UFC'.

I can see this as a reasonable posture by Dana, for once. Being measured with responses was never his strength after all.

I’d like to see eddy go back to bellator. Let it keep growing.

So he basically said..Do what you want I am ok with either choice..

In comes the Dana hate.

Dana's so stupid. You don't let exciting fighters walk. You just don't.

Dana doing the UFC equivalent of putting an old horse out to pasture.

You all called Eddie out for not taking the Dustin rematch and shit on him. Then he takes it and loses and you still shit on him. The hate for him (and I'm honestly not all that familiar with him other than his UFC run) is kinda sick considering you were all on his nuts prior to that. Sherdog sure does seem to pick odd people to hate, the Benson Henderson hate on this site was unreal for how good of a guy he is.

"Alvarez was never my friend"

im not surprised motherfuckers

Dana chews you up and spits you out when you’re used and broken.

That is the way of the UFC. Thanks for getting brain damage on my program, now don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

I thought it was a reasonable and fair response. Cant see why you would want to let him go though, his fights are generally pretty exciting, much more than say frankie edgar.

Dana chews you up and spits you out when you’re used and broken.

That is the way of the UFC. Thanks for getting brain damage on my program, now don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Sounds almost...... like sports in general.

Eddie can make more money in Bellator and fight for a belt. I think it would better for him to get out of dodge. Dana knows this and basically said it himself.

Eddie's a good exciting fighter but he's never going to be UFC champion again or realistically even challenge for the belt. Return to Bellator probable?

"We want young, hungry guys who will relentlessly point fight their way up the rankings, not former world champions who put on exciting fights and have fans. We don't know how to make money, so what good are people that we have to pay? We're trying to ru(i)n a business here."

Back