Dana White: Kelvin Gastelum could earn title shot with win over Tyron Woodley

He needs more time to develope even if he managed to win. Also the winner of Rory - Lombard and Hendricks if he beats Brown

Too many contenders, not enough title shots...make an 8 man tournament, fights 8 weeks apart, winner gets a title shot. If you win and can't fight 8 weeks later, there is no replacement or subs, your opponent just gets a pass to the next round. 8 weeks after that, a championship bout. If the champ can't defend due to injury, he loses the belt, if the winner of the bracket can't make the fight, the runner up gets the shot on short notice.

Guarantee that champs would be getting hurt a lot less if they knew they were going to lose the belt by not defending.

So thats why they scrapped the Hendricks-Robbie III fight. They want a young champ and Gastelum with that Mehicano fan base.

Finally someone that gets it, What if Cain pulls out of the Mexico card? I'm sure they're trying their hardest not to sabotage another card in Mexico, Considering the card is in July and that's when Lawler said he wants to fight again it would make perfect sense for him to fight gasteleum, no mexican there wants to see Rory/Hendricks/Lombard vs Lawler.

Now we know why he wasn't returning Rory's texts.

Has the UFC always been this desperate for money, or have I just not noticed it?

Rory as champion = No chance of GSP's return.

GSP supposedly is bigger than ever nowadays ... so if GSP returns and Silva looks good against Diaz .... there is that one big fight for GSP to return for and that is GSP vs Silva finally.

Rory is the clear #1 contender, especially if he beats Lombard next. Gastelum has all the tools to challenge that standing in the next year or so, he just can't jump over Rory with a win over a fighter Rory already beat...

Dana saying someone is going to get a title shot had less merit to it than there actually being hot singles in my area looking to hook up

I never take anything Dana says about title shots seriously

Why wouldn't he really, IF he wins then he will be on a 6 fight win streak in the UFC, 10-0 overall with notable wins over Uriah Hall, Rick Story, Jake Ellenberger and Tyrone Woodley

I know he is young so people have a hard time picturing him already getting a shot, but if that resume doesn't earn you a title shot then what does. I also think with the weakness at the top of WW he has a real chance at the belt if he beats Woodley

Rory as champion = No chance of GSP's return.

WOW that blew me away.... yes that makes total sense... its in UFC interest to not have Rory as champ if they're banking on a Super PPV sell with GSP's return to fight for the Belt..

makes perfect sense, Im sold on this theory.. explains why Rory will not ever get his promised Title Shot.. until GSP is officially DONE

If KG is on that Jones-Cain-Weidman tier then he is ready. WW needs a dominate champ with prodigy level accomplishments. Jones was 23 when he got his title so can't tell me it's too young. Cain got a title shot in less than 10 fights and I think Weidman destroyed Anderson Silva in his 10th and 11th fight. If UFC thinks he is a big ol boy in the Jones-Cain-Weidman beast wrestler mode then he is the guy the UFC can bank on.

Wow...you may be on to something there. Rory may be getting the shaft because Dana wants his PPV star to return. This is actually a possibility that's why DW is seemingly making it as difficult as possible for Rory to get the belt.

Rory's only loss was to Lawlor- a close one at that(split decision) and since that fight Rory has improved and Lawlor is declining... Now they want him to fight the 'most feared' WW Lombard, but after watching Lombard's last fight I doubt Rory will have any trouble at all dominating him, but still, a punchers' chance for Lombard and Dana knows this.

And now Kevin Gastelum is getting talked about a title shot with a win over Woodley....hmmm

If Rory ever gets his shot he most likely will will and that would affect GSP's return...

..there might be something to that

Condit got a TKO over Rory.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in this statement. If Hendricks loses to Brown then they will need to look challenger elswhere. Rory-Lombard winner might not be ready by summer. And If Kelvin beats Woodley than his resume is not that much worse than Rory's or Lombard's currently (winner of that fight is the absolute contender though).

WTF? No! No! No! The winner of Rory vs Lombard should be getting the title shot.

Back