Dana White: It's nuts to think Dennis Siver can't beat Conor McGregor

Siver via Destruction

I stopped reading at "Nobody thought Conor could beat Poirier".

IF McGregor fights Aldo at least the hype train will either be derailed or reaffirmed quickly

Eh, not really. It's fairly likely that McGoblin could beat Aldo but then lose his first defense against Frankie, then proceed to lose to other guys like Cub as well. It's all about matchups.

I think that's UFC's plan, actually. They think Conor is the biggest threat to Aldo, so they want to make that fight happen. Then if Aldo loses, I wouldn't be surprised if they deny him an immediate rematch. After that, they don't care if the champ is Frankie or McGregor. They just don't want Aldo as champ. He's proven to be unmarketable, and he has vocally complained about pay. Definitely not a "company guy."

Then put money on Siver then, this anyone can win talk is ridiculous.

Dana hyping a mismatch to setup the money fight.

Pretty much, Dana's whole argument is inverted, he should have fought Siver before fighting Poirier; but, this way, it is offensively obvious what Zuffa is trying to do to make McGregor look good to get people to buy a McGregor vs. Aldo ppv. Dana making the argument he is making shows just how much he respects the intellect of the bulk of MMA fans.

If Siver had any chance of winning the fight never would have been made.

Oh, Dana, you so cray-cray....

I wouldn't go that far, but the sentiment is correct.
They want Conor fighting for the title. Beating Poirier wasn't enough (even though it was enough for the Korean Zombie, who also impressively beat a few lower-level guys before Poirier, like Conor) so there's no way he's fighting a wrestler as that would derail the grand plan.

Mendes and Edgar would wreck McGregor IMO. Anyone else is fair game, Lamas is a 50/50. They knew that, hence he's fighting a fellow striker.

If it goes wrong, jesus!

Mcgregor wins this easily unless Siver scores an early takedown and can hold top position for a bit...

If Siver had any chance of winning the fight never would have been made.

Oh, Dana, you so cray-cray....

Dana is now trying to do some damage control. After months of setting up the McG show, he feels he has to prop up Siver as a legit opponent to make McG seem more like a world beater. They've already been messing with Siver's rank to make him seem more worthy and legit.

I wouldn't go that far, but the sentiment is correct.
They want Conor fighting for the title. Beating Poirier wasn't enough (even though it was enough for the Korean Zombie, who also impressively beat a few lower-level guys before Poirier, like Conor) so there's no way he's fighting a wrestler as that would derail the grand plan.

Mendes and Edgar would wreck McGregor IMO. Anyone else is fair game, Lamas is a 50/50. They knew that, hence he's fighting a fellow striker.

If it goes wrong, jesus!

Yeah, of course. I was exaggerating for effect. Of course, Siver has a chance, just a very small one, and they clearly want Macgregor fighting for the title, like you said. I think they wanted the Poirier fight to hype him but the finish was so awkward that it just didn't give him the "spark" they wanted.

I am very skeptical as to how Conor will do against an elite wrestler, too. Hopefully we'll see one day and not just have him fed a steady dose of inferior strikers.

Part of me wants to see it blow up in the UFC's face, and part of me wants to see macgregor VS Aldo - I'm so conflicted!

Yea right! If Conor loses, the look of Dana will say it all. They want Conor to win, c'mon now

Dana is now trying to do some damage control. After months of setting up the McG show, he feels he has to prop up Siver as a legit opponent to make McG seem more like a world beater. They've already been messing with Siver's rank to make him seem more worthy and legit.

Yep! For sure.

who did he pass in the rankings?

My thoughts are:
  • Dana promotes and there is no truth/lie in promotion. Just what can you sell.
  • EVERY fighter has a chance to beat his opponent.
  • I'd like to see Siver beat the leprechaun.
  • He'd come back stronger but I'd like see the mushroom cloud that would rise outta sherdog.

Anyone can win, this is mma. Nobody thought Serra would beat GSp, TJ would beat Barao.

McGregor probably wins, I'd favor him to win and I'm picking him to win but to think there is no chance he loses is ridiculous. Siver is a stocky, powerful striker and it only takes one shot to put someone out and ruin this whole thing.

Funny thing is everyone who complains that McGregor doesnt deserve a title shot will be the same ones if Siver beats McGregor killing the UFC for not giving him the shot after beating Dustin.

Agreed. Dana's point is obviously correct in this case.

90% mcgreggor wins
10% siver wins

that's how I have it in my head

Why even post the shit Dana says on upcoming fights?

Whether Siver is good (he's not) a step up (no), an opponent that would warrant a title shot if he is beaten (hell no) has already been discussed ad nauseam.

"thoughts?"
dana will say anything to sell the shit he's selling, just like the last 123123123 times he commented on an upcoming fight.

Everyone thinks McG will win. Nobody thinks Siver can't win

I think Connor will win, possibly even in the first. But I still bet 5 bucks on Siver because of the odds. Looking back I jumped the gun, as there were even odds on simply the fight reaching the 2nd round.

Back