Dana White: Herb Dean did horrible job

There was no second eye poke genius. He did that to let Jones know he was keeping an eye on him. Does everything have to be overtly spelled out?

Reading comprehension fail.

I think he did OK job in this fight.
But in general he has a tendency to stop fights way to early. And in general he has an aura of indecisiveness as someone here already said.

He fucks up way to much, a good ref should be invisible, and personally i think stoppages should rather be late than early.

I agree, he did an OK job.

Only bullshit stoppages he's had were the Rousey and Barao title fights early last year. His stock went down after that, one bad stoppage was somewhat excusable after a decade of good officiating.... but a 2nd within a month? No excuse.

He's been a good ref since then, and he stopped Hunt/Werdum at the perfect moment, not too early and not too late, gave Hunt alot of time to recover to see if he could.

dana should stop criticizing referee's publicly - it won't help he case.

I am not a fan of Herb "Quick Stoppage" Dean but I have to admit he did a terrific job in the title fight. Jones poked DC in the eyes once and Herb gave him a stern warning and actually told Jones his fingers must face upward and not towards DC's face.

The first 3 rounds were really good.
The 5th was a real bummer. Should have been separated at least once or twice imo.

Sounds like Dana tries to pressure refs and officials all the time like this. I know the UFC doesn't assign the refs, but Dana still pressures them to fight the way that most benefits his company. Similar to what he exploded over about Kimbo and Gary Shaw. They wanted Kimbo to stand and bang.

I am not a fan of Herb "Quick Stoppage" Dean but I have to admit he did a terrific job in the title fight. Jones poked DC in the eyes once and Herb gave him a stern warning and actually told Jones his fingers must face upward and not towards DC's face.

Exactly. BJM yells like a cop in riot gear, and has no effect. Just barks orders. Dean calmly explains to Jones what he is doing wrong, and breaks it down logically.

clinching is part of fighting

even worse is this:

Myles Jury: $16,000
Louis Gaudinot: $10,000
Jared Cannonier: $8,000
Mats Nilsson: $8,000
Alexis Dufresne: $6,400

so better that greedy idiot called DW start doing something about it cos nobody can afford a life and train with those salaries

That is the correct response.

The ref ins't there to create action in my opinion, he's just there to make sure no one gets hurt. Guess what, if they are in the clinch for a full round it's just because that's how the fight naturally progressed, why do we need to stop it?

Because MMA is not a sport but instead sports entertainment like WWE in Dana's eyes. I say leave them be if they are working in the clinch.

even worse is this:

Myles Jury: $16,000
Louis Gaudinot: $10,000
Jared Cannonier: $8,000
Mats Nilsson: $8,000
Alexis Dufresne: $6,400

so better that greedy idiot called DW start doing something about it cos nobody can afford a life and train with those salaries

Jury was over paid...

Well he missed Jones grabbing DC's gloves twice, DC holding Jones shorts, and Jones grabbing the fence but I dont remember anything bad about the fifth round specifically.

FFS, Cormier is an olympic Greco-roman wrestler, clinching up against the fence is sort of his gameplan.

Not enough "just bleed" is insufficient reason for a ref to insert himself into a championship fight.

Actually DC is a freestyle wrestler, but that's besides the point.

Nothing wrong with the clinch in the 5th. DC was working hard for his takedown, it wasn't stalling at all.

Back