Dana White: Herb Dean did horrible job

herb dean has been shit lately

rosenthal and mazzagatti are the best refs.
shame about rosenthal getting popped.

Herb is hella overrated. There's about 5-7 refs who are better.

Dana says that Herb did a horrible job in the fifth round because he let Jones and DC virtually remain in a clinch up against the fence for the entire round.

He probably could have separated them once or twice to get the action moving.

FFS, Cormier is an olympic Greco-roman wrestler, clinching up against the fence is sort of his gameplan.

Not enough "just bleed" is insufficient reason for a ref to insert himself into a championship fight.

Based on his comments about Lombard, He should be pissed at Jones for not trying to finish as well

Exactly, free Rosenthal imo he was the best.

Amen.

The truth is that every ref has their fuck ups, but for whatever reason Herb Dean gets high praise..... I think he sucks.

When my friends and I see Herb Dean as the ref for a big fight we always go "oh shit, here comes another quick stoppage to ruin a good fight"

I'd even take Mazzagatti over Herb Dean, or Yamasaki, or Yves Lavigne... I can't stand Winslow and Miragliotta is horrible, but Herb Dean is as bad a ref as there is with his early stoppages and poor decision making.

He could have broken a few of those round 5 wall and stalls but screw it. DC has wall and stalled before too. Kharma is a bitch.

should have deducted a point from jj

tumblr_ln1nw5ftoi1qhb7sv.png

depends on what you like, the ref to let them fight...or to separate and try and get action going...

i like when they separate them if grappling is going nowhere for 30ish seconds. so yea, i was like common herb BREAK EM UP!!!!!!!

Amen.

The truth is that every ref has their fuck ups, but for whatever reason Herb Dean gets high praise..... I think he sucks.

When my friends and I see Herb Dean as the ref for a big fight we always go "oh shit, here comes another quick stoppage to ruin a good fight"

I'd even take Mazzagatti over Herb Dean, or Yamasaki, or Yves Lavigne... I can't stand Winslow and Miragliotta is horrible, but Herb Dean is as bad a ref as there is with his early stoppages and poor decision making.

Watch Lesnar vs Mir.

Herb is average, Big John the OG and the GOAT of this reffing shit.

I disagree and think Herb Dean did a great job. In the fifth round, there were to exhausted wrestlers trying to get the upper hand. Greco roman wrestling is a noble art.

I'm pretty sure Herb recently went to stop a fight, even put his hands on the back of the fighter who was doing the damage but then realised the other guy was still very much in the fight and backed off.

Herb Dean is a great ref, usually the best - but he seems to falter in the big main events. Not often, but when he does mess up, it's usually in a high stakes fight.

Either that, or I just notice it more when it's a big fight.

Amen.

Care to back that up with examples? We here "this ref sucks" all the time but it's nice to know what you are actually talking about.

Yes the Barao stoppage was bad but he admits he didn't see the thumbs up despite being in the best possible position at the time. The 170 stoppage was completely justified and not bad.

What am I missing?

I am usually critical of Herb and think he is the most overrated ref but I thought he did a fine job this time.

Same here.

My only complaint was that he should have threatened a point deduction if there was a 2nd eye poke. He gave instructions to Jones how to avoid eye pokes, as if Jones had no idea.

Same here.

My only complaint was that he should have threatened a point deduction if there was a 2nd eye poke. He gave instructions to Jones how to avoid eye pokes, as if Jones had no idea.

There was no second eye poke genius. He did that to let Jones know he was keeping an eye on him. Does everything have to be overtly spelled out?

Same here.

I think he did OK job in this fight.
But in general he has a tendency to stop fights way to early. And in general he has an aura of indecisiveness as someone here already said.

He fucks up way to much, a good ref should be invisible, and personally i think stoppages should rather be late than early.

Back