Dana White: "Gustafsson's next in line"

First he denies Glover a title shot because he was rocked by Bader and picks Gustafsson instead who he underestimated heavily. That didn't go as planned and he had the fight of his life, the public screams for a rematch but now suddenly Glover is good enough for a title shot so he picks him and promise everyone Gustafsson is next in line.

Now the time has come and he wants to fight DC who is injured.

Come on Jones..

First he denies Glover a title shot because he was rocked by Bader and picks Gustafsson instead who he underestimated heavily. That didn't go as planned and he had the fight of his life, the public screams for a rematch but now suddenly Glover is good enough for a title shot so he picks him and promise everyone Gustafsson is next in line.

Now the time has come and he wants to fight DC who is injured.

Come on Jones..

Or you can look at it as JBJ is fighting every top contender in the division who he has not already beat -- giving more folks an opportunity to win the title (and building a who's who resume of fighters he's taken down). At this point, DC is the last real contender who is yet to get an L from JBJ. After the DC fight, JBJ will have no real option besides rematches, unless Rumble gets the UFC build-up treatment.

I personally don't care whether he fights DC or Gus, I think both will be fantastic fights. I'm personally more interested in DC as it's not a fight I've seen before and another Gus loss to Bones (which I think will happen), puts Gus' career at LHW on ice. He will have nowhere to go but to HW or a long, long road to another title shot. I'm not in a huge hurry to watch that happen.

I've always thought being champ should be like playing king of the hill. Knock them back down as they come and that's all the legitimacy as champ you need. Don't sit there trying to pick and choose who gets to assault the hill.

Gus and DC should be fighting each other and the winner fights Jones.

Interesting. Dana called Anderson p4p best before he met Weidman. Then he called Barao p4p best before the TJ fight. Look what happened in both the cases. Now he is calling Jones p4p best fighter. Dana's P4p Curse?

LOL @ the haters... No matter what you guy will find something to complain about.

Jones says DC doesn't deserve to fight him. "OMG, HE IS DUCKING DC!!!!"

Jones says he wants to fight DC. "OMG, HE IS DUCKING GUS!!!"

I know it's fun to hate on anything Dana says but he's absolutely right on this issue.

0.jpg

Whoa... Let's not trash Barao by putting him in the same conversation with Jon Jones. Renan signed the contract for the Faber rematch as soon as it was put in front of him, no questions asked. Barao acted like a true and honorable champion throughout the course of his title reign. He never pulled this diva bullshit.

Gus and DC should be fighting each other and the winner fights Jones.
Then whoever loses gets knocked down the ladder. Better to have two future high profile matchups lined up for the champ.

translated: i can make more cash with letting him fight gus again

LOL @ the haters... No matter what you guy will find something to complain about.

Jones says DC doesn't deserve to fight him. "OMG, HE IS DUCKING DC!!!!"

Jones says he wants to fight DC. "OMG, HE IS DUCKING GUS!!!"

I like DC but I dont care if Jones fights Gus first. It was a great back and forth battle, got fight of the year and both guys beat each other up. Why wouldnt anyone want to see this rematch? If people didnt enjoy that first fight, I dont know why they watch this sport.

Jones himself promised Gus was next after Glover ( source http://m.espn.go.com/extra/mma/stor...f":"http://www.thescore.com/mma/news/449216"})

I get that DC is injured and possibly needing surgery, and that this is the most beatable version of DC that Jon will ever get, but he should be a man and stand by his word. If you say you're gonna do something, then do it. Only boys and women break their words.

Whoa... Let's not trash Barao by putting him in the same conversation with Jon Jones. Renan signed the contract for the Faber rematch as soon as it was put in front of him, no questions asked. Barao acted like a true and honorable champion throughout the course of his title reign. He never pulled this diva bullshit.

Barao wasn't negotiating a contract extension (which Dana/Lorenzo initiated with JBJ), and he doesn't have anywhere near the negotiating power as the real P4P#1. It's not anywhere close to an apples-to-apples.

JBJ clearly isn't someone who is fighting for fun. This is his job and it's 100% on him to look out for his own financial interests as you know Dana isn't. If that means not bending over for Dana, and having to listen to company men attack him online and through social media, JBJ is clearly willing to make that trade-off, and I don't blame him. Given Jones' position and the length of the contract, we're talking millions of dollars -- which isn't something you take lightly.

Yah a challenge he said that didn't deserve a shot at him, a challenger who is injured. A challenger who Bones chewed out multiple times saying he isn't even a challenge.

Exactly, I love the "selective memory" of Jones' fanboys! I truly believe that Gus should be next - BUT doesn't really matter cause I believe if Jones fights Gus - he loses; if he fights DC - he loses....6 of one & a half dozen of the other!:icon_chee

Then whoever loses gets knocked down the ladder. Better to have two future high profile matchups lined up for the champ.

Fuck that, if both are good enough to fight for the belt then they will make it back up.

They should fight each other to prove who deserves it.

Cummins and Hendo shouldn't grant a title shot.

Jimi Manuwa shouldn't either.

I could understand if one of the fighters was on his last run, but both have time to climb back up the ranks.

Maybe after thinking over what Cormier said about how he's coming for him and how he's getting better after every fight Jones decided he wants to fight him now before he gets better and maybe avoid him later.

Barao wasn't negotiating a contract extension (which Dana/Lorenzo initiated with JBJ), and he doesn't have anywhere near the negotiating power as the real P4P#1. It's not anywhere close to an apples-to-apples.

JBJ clearly isn't someone who is fighting for fun. This is his job and it's 100% on him to look out for his own financial interests as you know Dana isn't. If that means not bending over for Dana, and having to listen to company men attack him online and through social media, JBJ is clearly willing to make that trade-off, and I don't blame him. Given Jones' position and the length of the contract, we're talking millions of dollars -- which isn't something you take lightly.

Dana says over on MMAWeekly that Jones is NOT negotiating his contract & that he still has 5 fights to go on this one...He just needs to sign on for this fight which he is so far refusing to do! So where are U getting the misinformation U are peddling?

Hmm, so Jones posting videos on Instagram is NOT negotiating in public? Interesting.

Clearly this battle was started when Jon refused the most logical and anticipated rematch in the division. Gus wanted it. The fans wanted it. And the UFC wanted it.

Pretend for a moment that Cormier does not exist. And I admit that Cormier is what Jones is relying on insofar as Jones wants us to think Cormier represents a material fact and is the issue by which Jones if formulating a principle to refuse Gus. What then? What if there was no Cormier? Could Jones still refuse Gustafson and be the undisputed champion?

You don't even have to imagine this, just rewind back. The rematch demand was there immediately but Jones started his own match making, saying Gus doesn't deserve a rematch and that he wants Glover. Cormier was not even in LHW at that time and certainly not a legit contender.

Jones must have been really happy that Cormier dropped down and succeeded so he could start focusing on avoiding Gus by naming another opponent. If he can avoid Gus this time, maybe another guy will rise up while he fights Cormier and then he can avoid Gus again by naming someone else who hasn't put him in the hospital yet.

Back