Dana White: "Gilbert Melendez will probably get Lightweight title shot right away."

what kool aid? i already made it clear that i'm not even a melendez fan; i'll probably be rooting for henderson if the match up ever happens. however, i'm not an idiot, or a blind nut hugger. melendez has some serious skills, and he can match benson anywhere in the octagon. it should be a fun, close fight.
Don't be fooled by Gilbert beating up some JMMA fighters Benson is gonna dwarf him and take him down at will and ride him for 5 rounds, its not gonna be a close fight. The Scrap pack really need to add some better strength training into there life's.

The majority of MMA outlets had Edgar winning in the live scoring. That on its own would suggest that the fight wasn't a blowout. Justify rounds 1, 3 or 5 conclusively for Bendo and I might agree that there was it was "defenitely not close enough".

ive watched the fights 5 times and have given it to Ben 49-46 every time.

and what do u mean the majority of MMA outlets had it for Edgar? u mean sherdog? MMAFighting gave Edgar the 2nd so that call is irrelevant.

way too many ppl gave Edgar too much credit for catching those kicks after they clearly landed.

Don't be fooled by Gilbert beating up some JMMA fighters Benson is gonna dwarf him and take him down at will and ride him for 5 rounds, its not gonna be a close fight. The Scrap pack really need to add some better strength training into there life's.

He beat the same guy Bendo did to earn a title shot and that isn't even his best win.

dwarf him? they're basically the same size. and when has melendez ever been badly outgrappled? henderson's actually shown less than stellar tdd; he couldn't defend td's from guys like bocek or edgar. if the fight were to happen, i think henderson could win by decision, but i wouldn't put a serious wager on it.

No problem with that all. Nor should anyone else. However, I don't see him posing much of a threat to Bendo.

ive watched the fights 5 times and have given it to Ben 49-46 every time.

and what do u mean the majority of MMA outlets had it for Edgar? u mean sherdog? MMAFighting gave Edgar the 2nd so that call is irrelevant.

way too many ppl gave Edgar too much credit for catching those kicks after they clearly landed.

Sherdog, MMAfighting, MMAjunkie, Bloody Elbow, MMA Bay, MMAmania and ProMMAnow all scored it for Edgar. MMAfrenzy and MMAweekly gave it to Henderson and declared it razor close and that it could have gone either way. Fox Sports scored it 49-46 Henderson. MMArising is the only site that called it a blowout for Henderson that I've found. Cagepotato didn't score their rounds but they said that they think Bendo might have won a very close decision.

Last edited:
Makes perfect sense, now we can see who truly is the best LW in the world is.

Nate Diaz lost to Guida and still got a title shot.

If Gil had been available at the time, he would've deserved it more than Nate. That isn't the way it worked out though, we'll see what Pettis manages to do against Cerrone but he was very unimpressive against Stephens and probably should've lost that fight. Even if he wins, Gil deserves it more and has the better record. I'm really not sure what your argument is actually, Gil wasn't a viable contender when Nate got his shot but now he is so... two completely different situations.

Thats fine with me, why postpone the inevitable? End the Melendez hype train early and then he can be a gatekeeper for the UFC LW division for the rest of his career.

Sherdog, MMAfighting, MMAjunkie, Bloody Elbow and ProMMAnow all scored it for Edgar. MMAfrenzy and MMAweekly gave it to Henderson and declared it razor close and that it could have gone either way. Fox Sports scored it 49-46 Henderson. MMArising is the only site that called it a blowout for Henderson that I've found.

mmajunkie had it 49-47 Bendo.

and like i said MMAfighting gave the 2nd to Edgar making that call irrelevant.

but w/e i honestly dont think it could have gone either way, there were a few close rounds i guess it might have originally looked close.

mmajunkie had it 49-47 Bendo.

and like i said MMAfighting gave the 2nd to Edgar making that call irrelevant.

but w/e i honestly dont think it could have gone either way, there were a few close rounds i guess it might have originally looked close.

Ya, I misread that. They did say the scores could be everywhere and declared it a very close fight, though.

LW is so stacked I can't wait to see some of the fights that're gonna happen over the next few years

Honestly any top 5 LW fighting for the title will make for an interesting fight and I won't object to it

I used to think he was underrated, now I think he might be overrated.

Don't care now, just looking forward to him being in the UFC

Back