Dana White full of it as usual (regarding the Jones situatuon)

The bigger question is...why is Dana White always going public with dealings between himself and the fighters? Negotiations should always remain behind close doors, yet Dana White always discusses what stage of negotiation he and the fighters are at. I can understand a generic answer, but he seems to go into details.

Because he knows the court of public opinion was substantial sway with regards to his fighter's actions. Unfortunately for him, though, Jones isn't one of them, clearly evidenced by him refusing to participate in 151.

The bigger question is...why is Dana White always going public with dealings between himself and the fighters? Negotiations should always remain behind close doors, yet Dana White always discusses what stage of negotiation he and the fighters are at. I can understand a generic answer, but he seems to go into details.

If you follow sports, you know one side always makes negotiations public to win in the eyes of the non-observant. Why is it any different in combat sports?

Or both will. Lawler and Brown have been put on a pretty haggard schedule from the UFC. Here's how you solve all that:

-Woodley/Rory fight in June, winner fights Hendricks in September.

-Brown/Lawler winner finally gets some time off and fights Hendricks/Lawler vs Rory winner in March.

Now promotion is promotion and games get played all the time---but the clusterfuck WW title picture is pretty easy to solve.

I agree with everything you said. I meant to say the "immediate" title shot. My mistake.

And this is his way of negotiating for a better contract in a sport where the athletes have very little control. He knows the UFC wants the rematch bad and he is someone they know they can't cut given how he is one of its greatest and most visible fighters. If the UFC can strong arm someone into their demands, why can't the fighters? More power to him. Hope he makes bank.

Exactly this

So Dana Derp says that Jones isn't in the middle of contract negotiations, and that he simply refuses to fight Gus. That's funny, considering that last week Dana himself said that he was in fact in the middle of contract negotiations

5ee617d9_2whdlys.gif

Because he knows the court of public opinion was substantial sway with regards to his fighter's actions. Unfortunately for him, though, Jones isn't one of them, clearly evidenced by him refusing to participate in 151.

You are most certainly right. Although at the same time, it's probably no coincidence that Jones' stock has never recovered with the public from the UFC 151 fiasco. So he probably cost himself more money if you really think about it.

I'm all for fighters trying to make as much money as possible......

You are most certainly right. Although at the same time, it's probably no coincidence that Jones' stock has never recovered with the public from the UFC 151 fiasco. So he probably cost himself more money if you really think about it.

The only reason Jones stock was even hurt in the eyes of the public during the UFC 151 fiasco was because of Dana and Chael's crybaby smear campaign they went on afterwards. For some reason, many people blindly believed the 2 biggest BS artists in the sport. People who aren't Dana nuthuggers were able to see that the situation was 100% the UFC's fault for making such a dogshit card though

I can see why folks say he's ducking Gustaffson but he wants to fight DC which isn't a walk in the park either. The scenario usually works out that the person ducking a fighter for someone easier. Those are two tough dudes out there.

Alexander is the number one contender. Jones has five fights left on his deal. I don't see what the hold up is. I'm not going to throw the word "ducking" at this but obviously there is some bit of info that's being left out that we're not privy to.

The only reason Jones stock was even hurt in the eyes of the public during the UFC 151 fiasco was because of Dana and Chael's crybaby smear campaign they went on afterwards. For some reason, many people blindly believed the 2 biggest BS artists in the sport. People who aren't Dana nuthuggers were able to see that the situation was 100% the UFC's fault for making such a dogshit card though

This seems to suggest that Jones' stock wasn't already on some unsteady ground. That's not accurate. The picture isn't as clear as people try to make it out to be. Both parties contributed to this mess. Jones had a helping hand in careening his own rise to stardom.

To some, Jones was exposed in the eyes of the casual fan who buys PPVs, especially coming off a DUI that hurt his already shaky public image, as a guy who didn't care about the sport and the UFC threw Jones under the bus to cover it's own ass. Even if the UFC jumped out to defend Jones, the fact of the matter is once their biggest future star ducked out of fighting a 185er coming off a loss, the damage was probably done. Both sides did a good job wrecking their own images.

NOW I do think Jones has a chance to turn that around---but not fighting Gus is the perfect way of once again saying "I don't care what you folks think about me." People think being a "heel" is as easy as acting like a jerk. The reality is that if the substance has to meet reality. The best heels are the ones who are grounded in some semblance of reality, not just jerks to be jerks.

the UFC should pay bones a hell of a lot more

he's the only real star they have left besides maybe Ronda

Nobody likes him and he don't sell ppv's. He is in a shit division with 3 good people. Nice try bud

look, I agree 100% with the OP. It is obvious Dana is trying to bully Jon. But Chael had nothing to do with 151, other than signing his name on the contract.....so you need to keep your bullshit about Chael out of this thread.

EDIT: and stop typing with blue colour......it looks fucking Ghey.

It may never fully recover if you take into account the sentiments of the hardcore fans, but for the most part, Jones' performance against Sonnen likely put all that hogwash behind him. To say that he hasn't been able to market himself as well as the media darling that GSP is would be a massive understatement, but his skill and talent will probably transcend most of his PR blunders. If Mayweather continues to get the highest box office draws after beating on a woman, I don't doubt that Jones can turn this whole thing around.

Time will obviously tell, though.

look, I agree 100% with the OP. It is obvious Dana is trying to bully Jon. But Chael had nothing to do with 151, other than signing his name on the contract.....so you need to keep your bullshit about Chael out of this thread.

Did you miss the part when he cried nonstop about how Jones "ducked" him? He in no way deserved that fight and Jones rightfully didn't give it to him. I actually gained a lot of respect for Jones during that fiasco.

Did you miss the part when he cried nonstop about how Jones "ducked" him? He in no way deserved that fight and Jones rightfully didn't give it to him. I actually gained a lot of respect for Jones during that fiasco.

provide some quotes....and stop typing in blue, it's fucking ghey.

I can see why folks say he's ducking Gustaffson but he wants to fight DC which isn't a walk in the park either. The scenario usually works out that the person ducking a fighter for someone easier. Those are two tough dudes out there.

Alexander is the number one contender. Jones has five fights left on his deal. I don't see what the hold up is. I'm not going to throw the word "ducking" at this but obviously there is some bit of info that's being left out that we're not privy to.

Gus shook Jones, Cormier hasn't. DC may or may not punish Jones if a fight takes place. If I wanted the easiest fight, I'd pick DC because he is untested, whereas the likelihood that Gus gives me a severe beating are rather high. With DC it's 50/50

Does ANYBODY here actually follow pro sports? Teams try to do deals all the time with players. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't because negotiations stall out or the player wants this or that or etc etc. It's entirely possible the UFC has Jones under a long term deal---but tried to renegotiate with him to either up his pay or force a Gus fight or whatever. Teams in pro sports do this all the time.

Case in point: The Tigers were negotiating a deal to extend Matt Sherzer's contract. He declined it---so they're not negotiating right now. Sherzer is still pitching for the Tigers under his current contract. Jones would probably continue to fight under his current contract.

Again, I agree with everything you said, though, it is safe to say that nobody goes public in the same crass and disrespectful manner that Dana does. Negotiations getting ugly isn't new -- certainly not in sports. But Dana is in a league of his own when it comes currying the sentiment of the public, which more often than not, comes at the expense of his own fighters. It's a lose-lose for all parties involved.

It may never fully recover if you take into account the sentiments of the hardcore fans, but for the most part, Jones' performance against Sonnen likely put all that hogwash behind him. To say that he hasn't been able to market himself as well as the media darling that GSP is would be a massive understatement, but his skill and talent will probably transcend most of his PR blunders. If Mayweather continues to get the highest box office draws after beating on a woman, I don't doubt that Jones can turn this whole thing around.

Time will obviously tell, though.

The fabric of strictly hardcore MMA fans and strictly hardcore boxing fans couldn't be any more different culturally/demographically/ethnically etc etc etc. Just an entirely different audience.

Anderson Silva was in a similar spot, struggling to break through to the next level as a PPV star. He got Chael Sonnen who turned it around for him---not to mention some amazing performances. NOW waiting for Chael made the sequel fight bigger so here's hoping waiting for Gus could do the same.

Back