Dana White full of it as usual (regarding the Jones situatuon)

PRIDEoftheUFC**

Red Belt
Reaction score
So Dana Derp says that Jones isn't in the middle of contract negotiations, and that he simply refuses to fight Gus. That's funny, considering that last week Dana himself said that he was in fact in the middle of contract negotiations:

On Saturday the UFC posted news of the fight on UFC.com. Oddly, it cited a report from ESPN.com but didn

You are so cool and unique!!! Your font is awesome. We should all bow to you

These are negotiations to go beyond his current contract. It has nothing to do with him fighting the #1 contender in a couple of months.

Sports leagues/teams negotiate contract extensions before the contracts expire every day. You Jones huggers are ridiculous. Your boy is ducking Gus, period.

You do realize it's entirely possible to negotiate a new deal while in the midst of a current one, correct? Offering to extend the contract, perhaps at a higher salary, could be the UFC's carrot to try and get Jones to fight Gus. "Let's tear up this old agreement, pay you more and you fight Gus in return".

the UFC should pay bones a hell of a lot more

he's the only real star they have left besides maybe Ronda

These are negotiations to go beyond his current contract. It has nothing to do with him fighting the #1 contender in a couple of months.

Sports leagues/teams negotiate contract extensions before the contracts expire every day. You Jones huggers are ridiculous. Your boy is ducking Gus, period.

And this is his way of negotiating for a better contract in a sport where the athletes have very little control. He knows the UFC wants the rematch bad and he is someone they know they can't cut given how he is one of its greatest and most visible fighters. If the UFC can strong arm someone into their demands, why can't the fighters? More power to him. Hope he makes bank.

Agreed PRIDE, Dana throwing the UFCs best fighter under the bus again it's disgusting

Jones is on track to be the GOAT

9an9w.jpg

PS: Excellent research by the way, TS!

So Dana Derp says that Jones isn't in the middle of contract negotiations, and that he simply refuses to fight Gus. That's funny, considering that last week Dana himself said that he was in fact in the middle of contract negotiations:

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/05/why-jones-jones-vs-alexander-gustafsson-ii-may-not-happen-at-ufc-177

And here's a video of Lorenzo saying that they're offering to extend Jones contract at 0:15

In all likelihood, Jones is probably asking for more money (rightfully so) and Dana is using strong arm tactics by making up bullshit and fan and media pressure on Jones in hope that he'll fold and sign a new contract as quickly as possible. Blows my mind that people still listen to anything this blowhard says. Hope Jones holds out for a long time on this piece of garbage :D

Someone must be using colored-text... cuz that shiat is ignored on my page.

*edit* apparently I was correct as seen above. Poor guy couldn't get noticed with words, so he resorted to crayons.

the UFC should pay bones a hell of a lot more

he's the only real star they have left besides maybe Ronda

This may be possible---but none of us know that for sure outside of the parties involved. Despite headlining more events and getting more of a promotional push, he only outdrew two unproven headlining WWs by about 30-40K homes. It's not like those Jon Jones PPVs have (allegedly) been burning down the box office. Maybe they have a better idea of his value than any of us do.

Both sides are playing negotiation games. People who follow sports know how this goes. One side will eventually cave in and then they'll look at the rest of us and go "OBVIOUSLY THIS IS HOW WE PLANNED IT FROM THE START". All a waiting game now.

You do realize it's entirely possible to negotiate a new deal while in the midst of a current one, correct? Offering to extend the contract, perhaps at a higher salary, could be the UFC's carrot to try and get Jones to fight Gus. "Let's tear up this old agreement, pay you more and you fight Gus in return".

Admittedly, that is very possible. But we have seen two sets of fighters who were promised the same thing(e.g. Brown, Lawler, Woodley, Rory), and at the end of the day, only one of those four will get the title shot. If I were Bones, I would wait until it's all put in writing so the UFC has no way of backpedaling, whether he wins or loses.

The bigger question is...why is Dana White always going public with dealings between himself and the fighters? Negotiations should always remain behind close doors, yet Dana White always discusses what stage of negotiation he and the fighters are at. I can understand a generic answer, but he seems to go into details.

And this is his way of negotiating for a better contract in a sport where the athletes have very little control. He knows the UFC wants the rematch bad and he is someone they know they can't cut given how he is one of its greatest and most visible fighters. If the UFC can strong arm someone into their demands, why can't the fighters? More power to him. Hope he makes bank.

Heaven forbid that they give him another Bentley.

If someone asked me to fight Gustafsson, I'd ask for a raise too, cause that may be my last fight. :icon_chee

The bigger question is...why is Dana White always going public with dealings between himself and the fighters? Negotiations should always remain behind close doors, yet Dana White always discusses what stage of negotiation he and the fighters are at. I can understand a generic answer, but he seems to go into details.

At least it's Dana and not some "anonymous source" with possibly bogus information like every other sport. There are always leaks about contract negotiations in other sports, they just don't come from the horse's mouth.

It's his was of strong arming them. He makes it seem like they don't want to fight, that they are scared. He is a very petty man

Jones just replied to someone on twitter asking about his contract saying "What contract?"

Admittedly, that is very possible. But we have seen two sets of fighters who were promised the same thing(e.g. Brown, Lawler, Woodley, Rory), and at the end of the day, only one of those four will get the title shot. If I were Bones, I would wait until it's all put in writing so the UFC has no way of backpedaling, whether he wins or loses.

Or both will. Lawler and Brown have been put on a pretty haggard schedule from the UFC. Here's how you solve all that:

-Woodley/Rory fight in June, winner fights Hendricks in September.

-Brown/Lawler winner finally gets some time off and fights Hendricks/Lawler vs Rory winner in March.

Now promotion is promotion and games get played all the time---but the clusterfuck WW title picture is pretty easy to solve.

Back