Dana White Explains Why Conor is Ahead of Gaethje if He Beats Cowboy at 170

It would be absurd if there was actual clear #1 contenders behind Tony. I don't think wins over Edson, Vick, and Cerrone warrant a title shot.

He's a former champ and the biggest draw. Unless there's an overwhelming amount of evidence to say someone is #1 (like Tony, n I obv think n thought Tony deserved a shot before Conor), he's not far out of the mix.

Granted the win over Dustin was at 145 n Eddie was 3 years ago (he hasnt been inactive for 3 years, 14 months or something), those were still ko wins over guys Justin was finished by not that long ago by mma standards.

I don't even care if he gets the next shot but its posters like @Hardkore who are just completely absurd by discrediting him as a fighter. As a person, hes trash. As a fighter, he's proven to be elite.

That is more than Justin can say considering the opportunities he's had to prove it, he's been KO'd. That doesn't mean he can't be elite in future or even now, maybe he has improved, but, he still hasn't proven it with any elite wins while Conor has at least 2 (Aldo n Eddie)

Look at the UFC's own Top 10 LW rankings. Go down the list and review the records. Gaethje is the only top contender with 3 straight wins (all by finish)........your options are Gaethje or McGregor apparently. One hasn't fought in three years. The other has finished three high ranked LWs in that same three year span.

The idea that wins from three years ago + earns you future title shots after complete inactivity is, by all accounts, an absurd idea that further diminishes the already weak fabric of MMA rankings.

Although not some massive margin, Gaethje is CLEARLY the next contender behind Tony.

Back