News Dana White confirms Israel Adesanya will challenge Jan Blachowicz for light heavyweight title

I don’t think many people were calling for this fight but I guess it could be fun?

Doesn’t seem to make any sense in terms of sporting merit or keeping the divisions moving. Maybe there is some 3-D angle with Jones

I would like the zombies to catch on that “holding up a division” or “not defending the belt” are just Dana lies. But they won’t.

You could argue theres really nobody at MW calling out for a title shot at the moment I spose and whilst LHW is looking more promising it really lacks a big name so I don't think Dana would be disappointed with Israel as the figurehead of 205lbs instead. By comparison MW does have quite a few relatively well known fighters in Costa, Rob and Romero who whilst they wouldn't be big draws would probably be bigger draws than Jan, Jiri, Rakic, etc in the short term.

If Israel really wants to make a GOAT challenge as well I think LHW is probably the place he needs to be to do it.

fucks sake with these money grabbing bullshit fights

His wife is giving birth in 2 months I think.

Probably the reason why he wasn't chomping at the bit to get an immediate title shot against Izzy.
Yeah for sure,

Just seems that if Costa and Cannoneir fight, and Izzy and Jan fight, then likely Izzy will fight the winner of costa / cannoneir, with Whittaker sort of in a no mans land

Israel is badass but honestly this doesn't look that good on him. He could have fought Jones all along but he just talked shit on twitter and fighting Jan as soon as Jones moved up. He will, however, won't have a choice if he becomes LHW champ and Jones moved back down. It will be a true super fight for the ages.

Israel doesnt look extra weight will suit him. Jan has decent chin and defense. He was only knocked out by a bomb when he rushed in with his chin high.

I don’t hate this match up. If Izzy wins it sets up the Jones fight

You could argue theres really nobody at MW calling out for a title shot at the moment I spose and whilst LHW is looking more promising it really lacks a big name so I don't think Dana would be disappointed with Israel as the figurehead of 205lbs instead. By comparison MW does have quite a few relatively well known fighters in Costa, Rob and Romero who whilst they wouldn't be big draws would probably be bigger draws than Jan, Jiri, Rakic, etc in the short term.

If Israel really wants to make a GOAT challenge as well I think LHW is probably the place he needs to be to do it.
Whittaker said he wants time off through January cause he's expecting another kid. Would be ready for Febuary/March, won't bother calling anyone out till then. Dana just got mad he wasn't willing to jump on the title fight immediately, so they're doing the Blach fight... in March.

Obvious spite booking.

Lol. Maybe, you know, defend your own title more than 2 times before going up for another one? Lol and Jan not even being champ for a month and now he's gonna defend against another champ? UFC is grasping at straws, everything need to be a superfight. No legitimacy.
Israel pretty much clean out that division. Who else is left for him at MW?

Wtfff... beyond stupid.

the golden era of mma has gone. Now we have the circus freak fights to grab money. Pathetic.
well, UFC did buy Pride, it just took them awhile to incorporate their strategies...

Whittaker said he wants time off through January cause he's expecting another kid. Would be ready for Febuary/March, won't bother calling anyone out till then. Dana just got mad he wasn't willing to jump on the title fight immediately, so they're doing the Blach fight... in March.

Obvious spite booking.

At the earliest Israel wouldn't be dropping the MW belt until after that fight so you'd probably be looking at more like summer for two other guys fighting for the MW title.

Honestly though I wouldnt be shocked if Dana went with Israel as MW and LHW champ if he beat Jan, really build up to one title shot per year in each division, I'm guessing Israel wouldnt really bulk up at LHW anyway unless perhaps vs Jones, the others would all be strikers who he would be at less risk of being out muscled vs and would want his speed edge.

Good news for Jan as well, at his age he probably wants big fights/money fast.

Champ vs champ is beyond ridiculous at this point, but it would for sure be a fun fight.

Why is it ridiculous? Adesanya looks pretty settled in at MW and since Jones ain't in the mix there isn't really a clear LHW contender. Perfect time imo. Also Israel is a boss.

I would bet everything I own that Israel beats Jan pretty easily. And that will either set up the Jones fight, or Israel could try to become the first 3 weight division champ. If he can beat Jones or become a 3 weight division champ, I will start calling him the GOAT.

Back