Dana White cares about Jon Jones

AppliedScience

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
How much Dana cares about Jon
In Jon's own words

"I do tons of things that I don't get paid for, just to try to be a company guy. I have a lot of pride in trying to be a company guy for the UFC. But putting my livelihood on the line? You can't ask me to do that, I have way too much to lose. They should have understood that and they could have kept the card going, but instead they made the executive decision to cancel the fight and blamed it all on me.

"I just really felt hurt by Dana

"....I just thought I meant a lot more to him....There's no need to have any type of fake relationship in the future. I'm going to continue to do my best for the UFC, but it's definitely good to see what I really mean to him."

Source

He watched the guy grow up in the cage. From college dropout with rudimentary martial arts skill. He was still raw skill wise when he took the belt from Shogun too. He is now as complete a fighter as there is at 27. You watch a guy grow up before your very eyes from college aged to grown man and see all the mistakes he made along the way you would try to support him as well.

and DW bashed Greg Jackson (JJ's mentor and trainer) for "killing the sport of MMA" PUBLICLY.

So Dana hurting Bones made him turn to drugs? That's a real-live telenovela mang.

I'm as big a jones fan as these boards have. He should have taken that fight to help the company. Yes, hendo not reporting the injury for that long was disgraceful, but bones still should have sucked it up and destroyed chael on short notice.

UFC 151: Did Dana White's Press Conference Bash of Jon Jones Go Too Far

UFC commissioner Dana White's press conference on August 23, 2012 (h/t MMA Mania) attacked defending light heavyweight champion Jon “Bones” Jones and his trainer, Greg Jackson, for their unwillingness to defend the title at UFC 151 on short notice.

The original competitor, Dan Henderson, was deemed unable to go with a partial tear in his knee, specifically the MCL. White ran through his Rolodex before Chael Sonnen, a loud-mouthed American fighter and two-time middleweight title challenger, agreed to the fight.

Jones, however, was not interested in fighting Sonnen, as his trainer Greg Jackson advised him that taking the fight on eight days' notice would be a bad business decision.

Outraged, Dana White addressed the ramifications of this decision by Jackson and Jones when prompted by Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter in a Q&A segment of the outrageous press conference.

"It’s a major, major deal. We lose shit loads of money, money that’s already been spent. Were eight days out [of the fight]. It’s the first time we’ve ever done this."

Meltzer asked what the fans can expect from this cancellation, to which White replied, “They’ll get refunded.”

The press conference has been the source of a lot of intrigue, and it may bring UFC more attention than the September 1 series of fights would have. This attention comes mainly because of White’s foul language and his apparent hatred of Jones and Jackson for the decision they made.
Jones’ unwillingness to fight caused White to cancel the entire pay-per-view event, which, in turn, cancelled those fights on the undercard as well.

Yet White did not seem as concerned with the undercard, replying to a question from David Martin of mmaweekly.com with “We’ll figure it out,” when asked how he will handle the other fights that were set to occur in Las Vegas, Nev. on the first day of September.

This is where White goes over the line in his bashing of Jones. White is pinning this whole thing on Jones, who he sees as already an unpopular champion of the sport. In doing this, White puts the pressure on Jones to carry both the UFC and any card he appears on, as White made it obvious that without the headline fight, there is no reason to go forth with the event.

The commissioner began running commercials for the Jones vs. Sonnen fight as soon as Sonnen told him he accepted the fight offer. He did not consult Jones before pursuing this campaign, assuming the fighter would be fine with White’s decision to find a replacement.

Asked by Foxsports.com’s Claudine Graham in the same Q&A segment if he thought Jones was scared to lose, White replied:

"I don’t know. I don’t know why someone considered the pound-for-pound best wouldn’t want to fight anybody."

White will never forgive Jon “Bones” Jones for this maneuver, and he may do all that he can to ruin his trainer’s credibility. The commissioner said of Jackson:

"[He’s] a sport killer, this guy is from another planet, I’ve never seen anything like it in my life."

The commissioner mocked the trainer and fighter’s reasoning of a business decision, saying, “I always laugh when a fighter says I’m a businessmen. No you're not, you're a fighter.”

White then brought up the most difficult fighter to deal with in the history of UFC, Tito Ortiz, and said that though he was a pain in the neck, he never turned down a fight.

ESPN’s Todd Graham asked how the recent turmoil affects Jones’ UFC sponsorship and his relationship with the sport, to which White could only say, “A lot.”
It looks like Dana White will hold a grudge against Jones going forward, and possibly encourage UFC commercial campaigns to bring up this refusal to fight when creating future ads for the sport.

Jones and Jackson, meanwhile, can only prepare for their next fight, and hope Dana White does not continue to verbally bash the two of them in an over-the-top manner.

The commissioner will get a lot of heat for this, and deservedly so. He attacked one of his players and his trainer, which is something that commissioners in other sports do not often do.

UFC is different and does not need a nice guy running the show, but White is letting money issues drive his anger toward Jones, as this anger is surfacing itself in an irrational, hate-filled manner.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1310253-ufc-did-dana-whites-press-conference-bash-of-john-jones-go-too-far[/url]

yeah Dana cares...he cares about money. With GSP and Brock gone. Silva at the end of his career, JJ is now the only "star" left. Personal wise, its obvious DW and JJ don't even like each other.

I imagine he was his biggest customer

How much Dana cares about Jon
In Jon's own words

"I do tons of things that I don't get paid for, just to try to be a company guy. I have a lot of pride in trying to be a company guy for the UFC. But putting my livelihood on the line? You can't ask me to do that, I have way too much to lose. They should have understood that and they could have kept the card going, but instead they made the executive decision to cancel the fight and blamed it all on me.

"I just really felt hurt by Dana

"....I just thought I meant a lot more to him....There's no need to have any type of fake relationship in the future. I'm going to continue to do my best for the UFC, but it's definitely good to see what I really mean to him."

Source

I still remember that press conference...it was hard to watch, and im not even a Jones fan.

The press conference has been the source of a lot of intrigue, and it may bring UFC more attention than the September 1 series of fights would have. This attention comes mainly because of White

I'm as big a jones fan as these boards have. He should have taken that fight to help the company. Yes, hendo not reporting the injury for that long was disgraceful, but bones still should have sucked it up and destroyed chael on short notice.

Yep

When Form Athletics went down pretty much every company in the business was looking for an opportunity to work with me, and I was really honored just to be wanted like that. I thought it was really awesome, it was a real honor. We came up with a strategy to keep it clean and be sponsored by the UFC itself. I

DW cares about PPV sales and whoever brings them in. Jones and Rousey are proof positive, and those two alone can't carry the UFC.

Dana's been touting all along he still thinks Lesnar and GSP will return to the UFC. That's just him playing the media and the two fighters (and their respective camps) praying one or both bite on it, because if ever he needed them it's now.

It seems that the divisional titles are barely being defended lately (not including interim titles), and although fans like watching fights, they want to see titles changing hands or being defended.

Funny thing...from what I been hearing Dana and and the UFC knew about Jones' test results for cocaine use BEFORE UFC 182. Once the test results became known to the public and media AFTER UFC 182, Dana's starts acting like he only cares about Jones getting help in his personal life and proud of him for checking into rehab

So Dana only cares about Jones' problem AFTER the fight?

It's like "Jon might have a drug problem and I really care about him so maybe he should get some help, but not until after he make me millions of dollars in the Cormier fight. Only after that he should check into rehab and get some help" Haha...gotta love Dana

I still remember that press conference...it was hard to watch, and im not even a Jones fan.

Yep.
If the first thought is how something will affect how much money is made, there does not seem to be a lot of "caring."

Dana White cares about money. He doesn't give a fuck about Jon Jones, GSP, etc.

As long as you bring him money, DW is your friend... The day you stop generating revenues, you're an asshole. See how he treated GSP after he announced he was taking a break from the sport :)

DW doesn't care about fighters.

Some of you guys have no idea about business. You can care about a guy all you want but crushing a card bc you dont want to face a new oppoenent who has a similar game isnt cool. Not Bones fault about Hendo, but he should have stepped up bc the fight wouldnt have been a drastic change. I do see Jones point as well, but business is only business if it generates money. This aint family. Its a job, anyone in the workforce knows no one is safe.

Back