Dana White calls Lawler's loss to Hendricks "Controversial"

Jackonflame

Gold Belt
Reaction score
From UFC.com

White had this explanation as to why it would be Brown or Lawler next in line.

"We got Robbie Lawler who just came off a controversial loss to the champion, and number one (Lawler) is facing number five (Brown)," White said. "Robbie just beat the number five and number six guys in his wins, right? And he was in a controversial fight with the champ, so he deserves this fight. If Matt Brown beats Robbie Lawler then he just beat the number one contender and he gets the fight."

White talks about all the possible WW contenders right now, how he's a huge Mousasi fan, and the general weirdness of rankings.

For a guy that says rankings are "fucking stupid", he sure does use them as reference a lot

As annoying as it is to have every fight that has a round of difference between two fighters, I can just imagine how fucking awful this would be if we scored fights as a whole. We'd be talking minute by minute analysis.

"ROBBIE WON 13:24 OF THAT FIGHT I KNOW IT!"
"BUT JOHNY'S 11:36 MATTERED MOAR ARGGG"

headaches. Headaches everywhere.

i thought round 5 was a 10 10. Lawler hurt Hendricks, hendricks hurt lawler. Hendricks holds lawler down to prevent action for the remainder of the round. 10-10

What a fucking idiot. Nothing controversial about Hendricks beating Robbie--as much as I wanted Robbie to win. He has a hardon for Robbie. It's pathetic.

i thought round 5 was at worst a 10 10. Lawler hurt Hendricks, hendricks hurt lawler. Hendricks holds lawler down to prevent action for the remainder of the round. 10-10

No, it was a clear 10-9 for Hendricks. Sorry, this whole thing of "The guy who gets a takedown and doesn't murder whoever he takes down doesn't deserve to win the round" thing is just getting ridiculous. It's part of MMA. Robbie knows it, which is why he didn't bitch about the decision. All he had to do was stop the TD and he didn't. And Johny was nowhere near as hurt as the people rooting for Robbie thought he was. 10-9 Hendricks.

Rematch should be interesting if and when it happens

Yea, Hendricka beat Lawler, but the fight was a good close one to call

Last edited:
Judging fights sucks in general. In an ideal world you would have fights end by finish leaving no doubt as to who won. I don't think that fight was controversial. I head it two rounds to two going in to the 5th and Hendricks one the last Round. Lawler was closer to finishing and did more damage but under the round by round 10-point must system he lost.

No, it was a clear 10-9 for Hendricks. Sorry, this whole thing of "The guy who gets a takedown and doesn't murder whoever he takes down doesn't deserve to win the round" thing is just getting ridiculous. It's part of MMA. Robbie knows it, which is why he didn't bitch about the decision. All he had to do was stop the TD and he didn't. And Johny was nowhere near as hurt as the people rooting for Robbie thought he was. 10-9 Hendricks.

still, i feel it sets a bad precedent for the sport b/c it encourages halting action as a method of winning. it shouldn't be a part of mma

Judging fights sucks in general. In an ideal world you would have fights end by finish leaving no doubt as to who won. I don't think that fight was controversial. I head it two rounds to two going in to the 5th and Hendricks one the last Round. Lawler was closer to finishing and did more damage but under the round by round 10-point must system he lost.

you mean an ideal world where we get 90 minute fights and guys have to retire after 10 fights because they've been KO'd multiple times?
Yeah, if only lel

I think the rematch would be less interesting. I think the torn bicep made Hendricks really change his gameplan away from concentrating on his wrestling.

Nothing controversial about it, it was a close fight, but a close fight with a clear winner, i'm guessing 90% of people all had the same scorecard for the fight all the way down to the specific rounds for each fighter.

still, i feel it sets a bad precedent for the sport b/c it encourages halting action as a method of winning. it shouldn't be a part of mma

A TD isn't "Halting action".
Closing your guard is halting action. Should it not be a part of MMA?

A lot of people said Lawler won that fight. Substantially more said Hendricks won the fight, but by the definition of the word, that is controversial.

A TD isn't "Halting action".
Closing your guard is halting action. Should it not be a part of MMA?

but lawler's guard wasn't even closed :( The action halted pretty much right when the takedown happened. Halting action shouldn't be encouraged in mma

A lot of people said Lawler won that fight. Substantially more said Hendricks won the fight, but by the definition of the word, that is controversial.

There were people who think the scoring system is wrong and that Robbie did more damage as a whole in the fight, but I don't recall anyone thinking that Robbie won 3 rounds in that fight.

As annoying as it is to have every fight that has a round of difference between two fighters, I can just imagine how fucking awful this would be if we scored fights as a whole. We'd be talking minute by minute analysis.

"ROBBIE WON 13:24 OF THAT FIGHT I KNOW IT!"
"BUT JOHNY'S 11:36 MATTERED MOAR ARGGG"

headaches. Headaches everywhere.

There is no difference between scoring round by round and the fight as a whole if the 10 point must system is used to its full extent.

Bullshit controversial! The rounds were as clear as they could get. Robbie landed just two clean punches in the last round , Hendricks landed about 10 clean ones. And then the takedown. I understand the love for Lawler but no one gives Hendricks his dues. He won it fair and square.

That fight should never be called controversial. Close, yes. A fight where the winner took more damage, yes. Controversial, no. No way Jose

Back