Dana White: BJ Penn should have been one of the best 'to ever live'

It's crazy that the only man to ever hold two belts in the UFC is thought of to have failed in some way.

Talk about gilding the lily. Maybe BJ didn't reach his potential. But Dana's last word about him was "awesome."

Why criticize an awesome BJ?

in before Tonycpa (he disappeared since GSP bailed) ejaculates BJ Penn hatred.

tonycpa must have been a part of tri-star, right? it's the only thing that makes sense.

If he would have been at the level of talent he was at with a solid 155lb division, training camp, and USADA.... Then yes.

I think BJ is a guy who fell in love with the idea of himself. He found himself on the top and became an addict to the admiration and feeling it gave him having people in awe of his skills. But he never had the grit and determination to stay there, because he never needed those intangibles to get there.

I believe he is one of the best ever still.
yeah he's a legend either way but he was so talented the argument has become not if he was one of the best ever but how much more better could he have been

He's still in the top 10 GOAT imo, or very close. Maybe he could have had a slightly better career but he hardly "underachieved".

Nah, he'd still call out prime Wand and fight Machida, Renzo, GSP, Hughes, Fitch, Nick, etc. And that's why he is one of the best ever. Let's see how Alvarez does against Lawler or Gus, for some perspective.

The fight with Nick, like the fight with MacDonald, showed courage but nothing else; he was already in terminal decline by then. I don't believe it added to his greatness.

tonycpa must have been a part of tri-star, right? it's the only thing that makes sense.

nah dude, I sincerely believe that motherfucker had a hard on for GSP.

he even sent me a PM talking shit once out of the fucking blue when BJ lost one of his fights, like a really pathetic PM haha. am I allowed to post PMs or is that shit still against the law here?

also, I got an official warning from a mod to not post a 'shop I made about him - he was such a pussy he complained about it.

BJ hurt himself by not being disciplined with his diet and constantly moving up in weight where he only had 1 good victory and that was over prime Hughes. BJ fought Machida at a 190 lb catch weight I believe or something close to that and lost of course. That's just ridiculous. People want to believe BJ was a warrior for taking fights like this but in reality it was because he was consistently out of shape and seemingly unmotivated. BJ's toughest challenge wasn't in the octagon it was his ability or rather, inability to put down the glazed donuts and pizza.

BJ had tons of untapped potential and could have been the greatest LW champion in history.

Back