Dana White: "Big Nog has agreed to retire"

• Thread starter Bulletproof Acc
  • Start date
Sad to see him go, but it's been sad to see such a great fighter getting beat by guys who wouldn't have belonged in the ring with him in his prime. Last night, it looked like the fight was held underwater.

I'm glad its finally happening even though he was the guy who got me seriously into MMA as you could see vs Struve that its so plainly physically not there anymore, a good amount of skill on display still but he was moving in slow motion compared to his Pride years.

What is wrong with Dana and co.?
He was just getting warmed up.
Talk about killing something at birth...

lol nice. its too bad they didnt give him a chance to have a final goodbye in an interview, maybe he had one in the post fight conference?

Certainly looked better than he did against Nelson.

Yep, didn't looked terrible but why continue to fight and lose and against mid to low UFC tier competition ?

Guy is a warrior's warrior and he deserves but also need to hang them up at this point.
Only match up for him which would have made sense is an ultimate Mir retirement fight had he won against Nelson and Struve or had they both dropped several fights.

Neither happened so he needs to hang em up.

Good thing Dana is offering him a UFC job afterwards.
They could, in example use him as a scout to detect new talent ( especially HW one ) around the world/in BRazil...

What is wrong with Dana and co.?
He was just getting warmed up.
Talk about killing something at birth...

LOL....

This forced retirement is justified. Nog's fighting years is akin to dog years. Dude is old, been in too many wars and needs to stop before he starts drinking baby food through a straw.

Probably for the best.

(And what the hell does Hughes do for the UFC anyway?)

The guys impossible to hate and has given so much to the sport over the years, it's always sad to see a legend retire but it's definitely time

Dana playing Dad again.

You care about your fighters health so much why don't you pay them fair?

he said he's taking care of Nog financially for life with a job with Zuffa, crybaby.

he said he's taking care of Nog financially for life with a job with Zuffa, crybaby.
Which is weird since Nog owns like 100 gyms. He's quite financially stable.

I think its time. Nog has nothing left to prove.
I think he can do good work for ufc.

Exactly. Everyone knows how good he was in his prime. In fact, that's the biggest case people give for Fedor being the best of that era. He beat Nogueira twice when Nogueira wrecked everyone.

This makes me happy. He has nothing left to prove.

He should have gotten an interview after his fight though.

About time, he looked awful last night (and for a while now),

but I hate the way Dana makes it about him. 'I don't want to see him anymore' 'I'm going to make him an employee'

STFU Dana. Nog >>>>> Dana.

Dana offered him the chuck Liddell retirement package of course he took it

I believe that is what he did he does not want Big Nog to end up doing something like Couture is doing with Bellator. It likely ties him to the org for 100,000 to 200,000 a year for a decade or more. I am willing to bet that Zuffa would rather do this with popular older fighters then have them speaking ageist the org while promoting another org.

Thank God. As a long time Big Nog fan, it was hard to watch that fight. Thank goodness that Struve isn't a competitive HW or it could have been a really hard fight to watch.

And good on Dana for bringing him into the fold. Big Nog could be a great ambassador for the UFC in Brazil.

Which is weird since Nog owns like 100 gyms. He's quite financially stable.
Yeah, but that stuff will likely start to dry up rapidly once he is officially retired. Good on Dana.

he definitely needed The Talk. sad to see the end of legendary career though.

Dana playing Dad again.

You care about your fighters health so much why don't you pay them fair?

Nog should have retired after he fought Couture

fair pay is determined by the market, is the ufc paying under the prevailing wage of the mma industry?

Back