Dana: Werdum wanted $800k and PPV points to fight JDS @ UFC 207

Becoming obvious Werdum wants nothing to do with JDS

Werdum has has enough time to prepare for JDS as JDS has had to prepare for Werdum. Even playing field.
That's true, but as others already stated in this topic, Werdum has everything to lose and JDS has nothing to lose. That Werdum/Cain fight was a #1 contender fight.

It's easy for a guy who's not booked and isn't in a contender fight to say he'll take it on short notice. It's a different story when the fighter IS the #1 contender taking on a lower ranked guy on short notice.

On the other hand, JDS basically has one style. He's a boxer. Werdum training for Cain would have been working his defensive wrestling/submissions which would basically be useless in a fight against JDS on short notice.

He then texted Dana and said 500k but no response yet.
OP needs updated

That's true, but as others already stated in this topic, Werdum has everything to lose and JDS has nothing to lose. That Werdum/Cain fight was a #1 contender fight.

It's easy for a guy who's not booked and isn't in a contender fight to say he'll take it on short notice. It's a different story when the fighter IS the #1 contender taking on a lower ranked guy on short notice.

On the other hand, JDS basically has one style. He's a boxer. Werdum training for Cain would have been working his defensive wrestling/submissions which would basically be useless in a fight against JDS on short notice.

They're going to make Werdum fight SOMEBODY before he gets a crack at the title. By avoiding this fight it just makes his journey longer.

But sure, if he's that concerned about it, that's fair enough. Though I tend to think that a true championship-calibur fighter should be willing to fight anyone, anywhere, any time.

But sure, if he's that concerned about it, that's fair enough. Though I tend to think that a true championship-calibur fighter should be willing to fight anyone, anywhere, any time.
Well, there's literally not a single champion willing to do that except for DJ and TJ, when he was champ. TJ didn't get the respect he deserved when he fought Sotto.

Personally, I think fighters shouldn't rely on months-long fight camps and the in-depth fight strategies. There's certainly an appeal to two fighters fighting and doing what comes naturally to them. Unfortunately, that's not where the sport is at.

Fights aren't dynamic and organic, they are all about drilling and gameplans, and I think that's why we see so many fighters freeze in the cage when a fight doesn't go their way.

I think a champion should be prepared to fight anyone, and I think there should be backup fighters ready to step in if needed, but that's a completely different topic. The way it exists now, it makes all the sense in the world for Werdum to either ask for more money to take a short notice fight, or to turn a fight down.

They're going to make Werdum fight SOMEBODY before he gets a crack at the title. By avoiding this fight it just makes his journey longer.
Werdum has wasted a lot of time over the past 2-3 years. It's unfortunate, especially with his age. An immense amount of that time is directly related to Cain Velasquez.

And why the fuck not pay the man? Former champ and an all time great. U Fight Cheap.

Some fans complain about fighters getting paid peanuts.

Other fans mock the fighters for asking for a better pay.

You can never understand them.
Yup. If the fighter turns down any fight its ducking,if its a fighter they like comin in on short notice. They want more money "omfg who do you think you are??"

It's crazy how styles make fights. Cain's striking is good because people fear the takedown. When a BJJ world champion doesn't fear the take down, the striking isn't so good. When a BJJ world champion goes against an elite striker that can defend mediocre take downs, good night. Jon Jones would literally murk the shit out of the HW division.
Jon jones i think gets eaten alive by cain. People dont seem to take the size of these guys into account at all. Jones wont enjoy being able to manhandle fighters at this weight.

Back