Dana wants Khabib rematch more than Conor

if you've been warching all the ore fight interviews you would know without any shadow of doubt Conor has been saying over and over the rematch must happen and his explicit plan for the first half of the year was to starch cowboy (done) then murk khabib when Tony drops out (inevitable)

They're trying to bring down Jorge Masvidal's price by throwing out different names so Jorge can't get the huge money he wants by making it look like Conor has Pacquiao , Khabib or anyone else waiting on the wings...

This makes sense.

Dana was like Masvidal vs Usman + Conor vs Khabib are the two fights that make sense....meanwhile him and Conor are thinking Conor vs Masvidal. They know he cant beat Khabib and his stock will go down with a 2nd loss to him.

They might try to book it as Khabib's last fight before retiring for the money it would bring in, but meanwhile give Conor some easier fights.

Dana is so full of shit. He's pressing that rematch like his livelihood depends on it.

The bar was pretty loud, but I’m pretty sure I heard Conor say in the post fight interview in the cage that he “wasn’t quite there yet” in terms of fighting for the title.

Dana just wants to milk his employees for every dime they’re worth, and blow all that worth at the blackjack table. The bald goof needs to calm his Don King wannabe self down.

At the post fight presser Dana kept going off about Conor vs Khabib 2 being the fight to make.

But when Conor joined and spoke of what's next for him he focused more on Masvidal or Nate Trilogy, even a possible Usman match.

Is Conor scared of the rematch or is he just acting uninterested because he knows Khabib may not grant it?
It's a tough sell to be honest...

I know I'm not interested in waiting six months to see Conor Khabib II. We've seen that already, and beating Cowboy changes nothing. Now if Conor came back and smoked Gaethje, there would be more of an argument (still not quite there), but to me he called out the guy Gaethje beat by first round KO, so hype is limited (as was risk by cherrypicking Cerrone).

Like what the fuck does it mean to me that he KO'd cerrone in round 1? Gaethje just did that a few months ago. Now I am supposed to believe he is the next title challenger and the man to defeat Khabib? After we've seen him get destroyed by Khabib already? That is some blue pilled shit.

I think we are likely to see Khabib maul Ferguson and then fight a big name in the fall, maybe GSP, and then retire.

Conor should stay at WW and fight Usman because even though stylistically it's tough, Usman is not fast and not a good striker. Would he still beat Conor? Possibly. But Conor could probably take advantage of the opportunity to fight for a third belt instead of losing to Khabib again at LW or getting smoked by Jorge who isn't even a real champ (no disrespect him him, but beating Usman means more).

This makes sense.

Dana was like Masvidal vs Usman + Conor vs Khabib are the two fights that make sense....meanwhile him and Conor are thinking Conor vs Masvidal. They know he cant beat Khabib and his stock will go down with a 2nd loss to him.

They might try to book it as Khabib's last fight before retiring for the money it would bring in, but meanwhile give Conor some easier fights.

The key is giving Conor the best shot at winning so he keeps fighting without losing steam.

Even though Jorge is a tough fight, he's still beatable compared to taking an immediate chance with Khabib, a guy who literally beat their cash cow and really high risk - For both fighters as Khabib isn't god either.

They need 3-4 more big fights for Conor with minimizing the risk: Jorge, Nate Diaz III and maybe some crazy mismatches so even if Conor loses, they can say "Well, Pacquiao beats most people he boxes anyway, Conor is sooooooo brave..."

Which will make his fans love Conor even more....
It's a game they play.

It's a tough sell to be honest...

I know I'm not interested in waiting six months to see Conor Khabib II. We've seen that already, and beating Cowboy changes nothing. Now if Conor came back and smoked Gaethje, there would be more of an argument (still not quite there), but to me he called out the guy Gaethje beat by first round KO, so hype is limited (as was risk by cherrypicking Cerrone).

Like what the fuck does it mean to me that he KO'd cerrone in round 1? Gaethje just did that a few months ago. Now I am supposed to believe he is the next title challenger and the man to defeat Khabib? After we've seen him get destroyed by Khabib already? That is some blue pilled shit.

I think we are likely to see Khabib maul Ferguson and then fight a big name in the fall, maybe GSP, and then retire.

Conor should stay at WW and fight Usman because even though stylistically it's tough, Usman is not fast and not a good striker. Would he still beat Conor? Possibly. But Conor could probably take advantage of the opportunity to fight for a third belt instead of losing to Khabib again at LW or getting smoked by Jorge who isn't even a real champ (no disrespect him him, but beating Usman means more).

This makes a ton of sense, it's sad a lot of Sherbros will disagree with you. It's always safer for the UFC to match Conor with someone tall and heavy, someone who can beat him and just pray a fluke happens rather than putting him up against people his own size and seeing him lose fair and square and thus revealed as the "Top 3-7" lightweight he truly is.

What he should do is eliminate a top contender all the while preparing for the Khabib rematch. Stay sharp

I’m confused by the sudden confidence his fans have in him beating undefeated Khabib because he managed to KO cowboy who is on the slide anyway(albeit an impressive finish)

Whatever about Conors abilities as a fighter being over-hyped. As a businessman he schools the entire UFC roster in the same night.

He's not going to limit his earning options or call out some nobody (like Islam) just because it would be a legit contest for the fans.

Couldn't they rematch even if Khabib loses a disputed decision to Tony? Why does Khabib have to beat Tony? I don't neccesarily think it would be total shut-out regardless of who wins

Let's index Conor's liklihood to win against the current field of opponents to determine whats going on:

- Khabib: wildly, wildly likely to beat Conor
- Masvidal: likely to beat Conor
- Diaz: moderately likely to beat Conor
- JG: dangerous but competitive fight

- Cowboy: On a 4-6 losing run coming off two consecutive TKO loses. Has now been knocked out 5 times in the first round, 6 if you include Masvidal.

Guess which guy Conor picked to fight?

They needed someone very experienced at falling over in the first round in big fights, so they booked him with a guy who's signature move is crumbling under bright lights. Conor doesn't want Khabib because it damaged his brand too much. Masvidal is likely to beat him but its not a forgone conclusion and Diaz even less so. He really, really wanted Diaz to win the BMF belt.

Honestly there’s no rush in booking the Conor rematch for 2020. I know it’s a phenomenal year for it, but there’s still going to be plenty of time for the fight to play out similar and shorter than the first one

The timelines just don’t make sense. Conor doesn’t want to wait 9 months to fight again. Also Idk why everyone’s acting like Khabib has already beaten Tony. Especially Dana

Dana has this juicy Mas fight sitting there.. And he didn't push it last night. Very strange.. Plus IF Khabib and Tony goes off in April, and Khabib wins he is out until likely Sept or Oct.. Conor wants to fight again in a few months..

The timelines just don’t make sense. Conor doesn’t want to wait 9 months to fight again. Also Idk why everyone’s acting like Khabib has already beaten Tony. Especially Dana

No.. He was even suggesting he likes March.. Realistically more like May or June I think. The Mas fight is sitting there as a juicy massive event.

And Yes Dana was in full on Cock mode last night. Tony was not even mentioned..

Whatever about Conors abilities as a fighter being over-hyped. As a businessman he schools the entire UFC roster in the same night.

He's not going to limit his earning options or call out some nobody (like Islam) just because it would be a legit contest for the fans.

Nah... I wouldn't give him that much credit.

He just happened to belong to a fan base that can afford to fly over the Atlantic, stay in hotel rooms and watch the fight live, not to mention Irish American fans wanting some action in the UFC.

All other demographics except Japanese don't have the cash to spend. Even Russians fans don't pay to watch fights or travel.

Back