News Dana trying to have UFC 267 on ABC

JoeRowe

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

I think this is about the next TV deal, seeing what a UFC ppv caliber card can do ratings wise. The UFC would probably like more up front money for non-superstar ppvs, & ESPN/ABC need live sports programming.

The UFC & ESPN are exactly 2.5 years into a 5 year deal, maybe an extension is coming sooner than later.

I remember a few years back big FOX re-aired UFC 206 & it did pretty good numbers, especially for not being live. It likely helped the UFC at the negotiating table after there FOX deal expired.

Last edited:
But wouldn’t this be in October? ABC would rather have college football

I think this is about the next TV deal, seeing what a UFC ppv caliber card can do ratings wise. The UFC would probably like more up front money for non-superstar ppvs, & ESPN/ABC need live sports programming.

The UFC & ESPN are exactly 2.5 years into a 5 year deal, maybe an extension is coming sooner than later.

I remember a few years back big FOX re-aired UFC 206 & it did pretty good numbers, especially for not being live. It likely helped the UFC at the negotiating table after there FOX deal expired.

i thought the deal extended to 7 years.

The Max Holloway/Calvin Cattar card was on ABC. Nothing was different except for the start time

They just censor out the fighters saying F words in post fight speeches like they do on ESPN prelims

"Children, watch this man cave another's skull in, or a woman dripping in blood rip another girl's arm off. But don't let us ruin your innocence by hearing the work fuck"

I would love for this to be “testing the waters” for a possible move away from ppv. But I think it’s likely just a happy set of circumstances that the fans are lucking out on.

1. UFC deal with espn is only for 12 ppvs a year. They’ve had 8, 3 currently scheduled and 1 more likely in December so that’s already filled.

2. UFC is contractually obligated to give Abu Dhabi a title fight. They booked 2 to be safe.

3. Neither title fight that’s booked is big enough to sell well in the middle of the day in the states.

4. They have a big msg card planned for literally the next week, they’re eating their own sales to try to sell 2 ppvs back to back.

Back