Dana to khabib: why the hell do you wanna test still if your not gonna fight

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KOPPE, Nov 18, 2020 at 6:07 AM.

1. KOPPE

2. DivineMind Brown Belt

He dares talk smack to the king ??!

londonzizou93 likes this.
  3. Zebra Cheeks 2Cheeks Staff Member Senior Moderator

Dana is trying to put the bug in everyone’s ear. Let’s be honest, apart from khabib vs GSP or Conor vs khabib, does anyone really have interest in a return? No one wants to see this guy absolutely body tony Ferguson to get to 30-0. No one wants to see Michael chandler get a win over cowboy to challenge khabib for the title and get fucking murdered.

He doesn’t really have anything left to prove in the current division IMO. He’s been so dominant, and the GSP and Conor fights would be for entertainments sake. He’s not going to lose.

4. sampuncher Black Belt

When Khabib says he'll come back I'll believe it. When Dana says it I'm pinching that salt.

5. blaseblah Steel Belt

He's not talking to Khabib, he's talking to the reporter. You're trying to portray this as an insult. You'd make a great mma reporter.

6. KOPPE

his delusional fans take his words as the gospel truth. they see him as a man who keeps his words and never lies.
    if hes really "honest" about retiring why is he still testing if hes not gonna fight?

7. FlyingDeathKick Silver Belt

Lol I already watched the interview, way to twist it to be something it's not TS.

El Fernas, BigTruck and accolyte1022 like this.
  8. TheWave111 Yellow Card Yellow Card

If he comes back this means he lied?
    It just can mean that he spoke to his mother and changed her mind.

Daniel Cormier is also still testing.

9. pocketkings White Belt

Speak for yourself I want to see Khabib fight everyone.

Are you really a fight fan?

Skeptic_Zero likes this.
  10. flowoftruth Brown Belt

11. 2EZ Purple Belt

because he wants the jacket you get when u have 50 clean USADA test in a row

12. No Skill Gap Brown Belt Platinum Member

You think Khabib beats GSP?

And in general "he's not going to lose" is kind of absurd to me. Yes Khabib was dominant, but everyone loses. I don't think he just walks by Ferguson or Chandler or even McGregor again automatically.

Would he be favored? Yes of course. But anyone can get caught. And the idea that Khabib has good striking is one that has been perpetuated on this site by a fanatic fanbase and it's simply not true. He's serviceable on the feet. That's all he needs, but it's not like it's going to be good for him if he can't get Chandler down or stays standing for an extended period with any of the top contenders at LW (and no Iaquinta isn't a top contender).

Gamer007 likes this.
  13. Franklin U. Gold Belt

Khabib is at top of his game- 2 more defenses and a win over a top welter lands him thee goat label. We dont have one. He does that, and all as a clean fighter, every box that needs to be checked as thee goat will have that check.
    Khabib is extremely wealthy and can do what he wants but it's a shame. Hes already disqualified himself from the goat list ( which he wouldve made with one more win).

14. cshireman4 Purple Belt

Senior moderator on Sherdog. Fucking hates fighting...

15. Hellowhosthat Silver Belt

I want to see him at WW tbh.

Zebra Cheeks likes this.
  16. Zebra Cheeks 2Cheeks Staff Member Senior Moderator

GSP today is not the GSP we watched 10 years ago. And if he is, then yes, it’s a great fight and it would be extremely competitive with GSP edging it IMO. But is anyone else that was at the top of the sport when GSP was still crushing it?

and no, I don’t “hate fighting”. Dana is holding up the division and not allowing others to fight for a title because of this. It’s not a guarantee khabib will come back, it’s a hunch. Are we going to let him hold up the most exciting division in the ufc for another full year before moving on? That’s where my frustration lies. Of course I’d watch it, but I can think of other LW title fights I’d rather see.

17. Zebra Cheeks 2Cheeks Staff Member Senior Moderator

Usman vs khabib would be incredibly interesting and competitive.

18. No Skill Gap Brown Belt Platinum Member

The problem I have is mainly with the fable and mysticism of Khabib which is similar to Fedor heavily imo.

But, he is legit an all-time great, etc. With that said, Khabib never went up a weight class. Sure he doesn't have to or anything, but for the relevance of this conversation he would be to fight GSP.

I think at 170 Khabib gets killed by GSP even now.

In fact I don't think Khabib's game would work at 170, I just think he's not big or strong enough to do it there. That 15lb jump is huge and I think guys like Covington would beat him, Usman obviously. So I think in context GSP going up to 185 once to fight the champion, who all agree was a "weak" champ in Bisping...he still struggled albeit off a 4 year layoff or something.

McGregor also fought Khabib up a weight class at 155 for the record, as did Porier but he was more cemented as a LW by then. I just think, and this should be obvious to anyone not delusional roleplaying as part of Khabib's team, that a lot of his success comes from strength and size. On top of that he's the best wrestler/grappler LW has ever seen in the UFC/MMA. I just don't think that translates to WW, and GSP isn't fighting him at 155, 165 would be the lowest possible class. I just don't see Khabib ever beating GSP, horrible matchup for him.

glass shatters and Zebra Cheeks like this.
  19. No Skill Gap Brown Belt Platinum Member

Oh man, I don't think so lol. Usman kills him imo.

I think the days of BJ Penn moving up to WW in the stone-age and "bronze age" of MMA are largely over. He was sort of hanging with GSP but dominated. He beat Hughes once or twice I guess.

I know Burns is an example right now, but I think it's pretty clear he's gotten much bigger and is on some acai bowls possibly.

Specifically right now I just think there's a ton of bad match-ups for Khabib at 170. He never really fought actual wrestlers at 155 during his run. Name one. And yes we can call Gaethje a college wrestler but he literally never wrestled in MMA.

Iaquinta or McGregor, one of those guys was the best grappler Khabib ever fought. Outside of Tibau who he arguably lost to.

I'm not trying to bash Khabib at all here, I just think the idea of him moving to 170 and having success at the top levels is outlandish. If he was favored over the likes of Colby or Usman it would be easy money to make. He's not beating those guys. He's not taking them down.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020 at 6:47 AM
    glass shatters and RedDevilFan like this.
  20. Zebra Cheeks 2Cheeks Staff Member Senior Moderator

Sure, of course it has to do with his size. Just like almost anyone who’s ever fought in the ufc might struggle going up a weight class. 145 to 155 is the easiest jump to make based on body weight percentage because it’s the last increment of 10 pounds. After that it gaps to 15 pounds. Statistically, 155 to 170 is a BIG jump. Comparatively both 145 to 155 and 170 to 185 are statistically smaller gaps. I don’t disagree with you, he’s sacrificing some of his assets if he moves up. But GSP is a bit old too. So maybe those factors make it a competitive fight? I don’t know. That’s why I’d still like to see it:

No Skill Gap likes this.