Dana: "The doctors were going to stop the fight."

I wanted Jones to lose and am glad they did not stop the fight...But McCarthy should not influence a doctor's decision

They let Hominick keep fighting Aldo with a cantaloupe growing off his face.

Anyway, since it is Big John's job to protect the fighters, I think his opinion in the matter is relevant.

A good doctor isn't going to go against his own opinion because a ref pleads with him, so clearly the doctor wasn't completely convinced the fight should end.

Wow this is the second fight in a row where Jones was close to losing via doctors stoppage. While Gus winning the belt would have been more celebrated than Chael it still would have met with a lot of controversy especially after how Jones nearly finished Gus at the end of round 4. I'm happy it happened the way it did.

Not a BJM fan, but that is some good refereeing. He can be impartial and still protect the integrity of the fight as a whole, which he did.

That would have been crazy if they stopped the fight. I think this place would have exploded.

Johns not a doctor for one

Nope, but medical school doesn't have a course entitled "Cuts that inhibit fighters' sight" either. McCarthy's practical knowledge of whether or not the cut was making it difficult for Jones to defend himself was likely useful to the doctor.

Your point about being a doctor emphasizes expertise. Who has more expertise on when fights should be stopped than Big John?

That fight should have been stopped. No question.

Listening to KOS talk about it, I also think it should have been stopped. GSP put Josh out for a year, and he could have done permanent eye damage. I'm glad his eye wasn't fucked forever.

They couldn't afford for the fight to be over. The ufc needs Jones to stay champ for a while longer until they can hype someone else up to take the torch from him

IMO the fight should of been stopped.

Plus Bones should of been docked a point in the first.

Any pics? IIIRC, his eye wasn't swollen shut and the blood wasn't getting in his eye. The cut was close to his eyelid, though.

i9KROecEyDF7Z.gif

Well the fight continued so it really doesn't matter.
Dana probably hinting a well deserved rematch.

Dana:

Ariel:

Dana:

Close call.

But, how do you feel about McCarthy stepping in to plea for Jones to be able to continue? Was it his place to do so or should that have been between Jones and the doctor? Did it violate the impartiality that a referee is supposed to have?

Thoughts?

LOok, I am not going after you, so please do not take it that way.
But IMO this is only because he pleaded for Jon instead of Gus.

IMO, he probably say guys much more busted up that doctors allowed to continue.
He simply told the doc he would keep an eye out, and if he saw it bleeding more, he'd then stop the fight.

I see no reason for thinking he lost him impartiality over it.

But on the other hand, the Doc should make the call, and it is not the ref's place to say a word (even though he has the experience).
because if Gus would have targeted it and aggravated the injury, BJM would not be the one taking the responsibility for allowing the fight to go on. So this was not his place to speak.

Does anyone have a decent picture of what the cut looked like and its position on the head?

It is hard to find a picture because it was in the line of the eyebrow. I'll try to screencap for you though if there's a shot.

Big John needs to shut his trap and let the doctors do the thing. There is a reason why they are doctors.

But but but but, Big John has a Ph D in MMA as a ref.

I'm sure no fighter wants the fight to be stopped. Maybe unless they're fighting melvin manhoef or a prime mike tyson

And then is stretchered to the hospital while his opponent is walking around under his own power.

Ah, MMA judging. :rolleyes: That's one thing I never really understood, you have a guy who's relatively unscathed losing while his opponent, despite having a swollen, bleeding face and nearly shut eyes, wins.

Felt the same about Sanchez/Kampmann.

It's quite simple when you understand that damage isn't scoring criteria. The correct term is "effective striking"...you can cut, bruise and swell up your opponent but if they keep walking forward kicking you in the head your strikes probably aren't being that effective.

Big John needs to shut his trap and let the doctors do the thing. There is a reason why they are doctors.

But but but but, Big John has a Ph D in MMA as a ref.

The ref's job is to protect the fighter. I'd say protecting a champion's opportunity to fight when he clearly is still able, falls under that category.

Back