Dana: "The doctors were going to stop the fight."

Why would they want to stop it? Not like the cut was that bad.

If mccarthy didnt think the fight should be stopped theres nothing that really prohibits him from saying so. Its not like he was really lobbying on Jones behalf could have just been his opinion that its should continue.

And then is stretchered to the hospital while his opponent is walking around under his own power.

Ah, MMA judging. :rolleyes: That's one thing I never really understood, you have a guy who's relatively unscathed losing while his opponent, despite having a swollen, bleeding face and nearly shut eyes, wins.

Felt the same about Sanchez/Kampmann.
Did you feel the same about BJ v GSP I?

If an experienced referee believes a cut isn't bad enough to stop the fight, I think that's worth something, and that McCarthy was within his rights and his responsibilities to give his opinion.

That cut was no reason to stop the fight jones had fought with some blood in his eye for 3 rounds. He is the champ and you let the champ fight..

Jones survives another close call, it's like he's got Jesus on his side.

Does anyone have a decent picture of what the cut looked like and its position on the head?

Not sure how anyone can knock McCarthy for this as it was obviously the right call. Jones clearly could go on to fight in the 5th as he easily won that round.

The cut didn't impact the fight and Jones was clearly able to continue with it. That's called the correct call. The bizarre-o land that sherdog has been living in the last few days is unsettling.

This has happened before in title fights...wasn't it during St-Pierre-Koscheck II that Herb Dean barely let the old, bearded doctor look at Koscheck's eye? Herb just asked Kos something like "You can fight, right?" Meanwhile, Joe Rogan was yelling "Get out of here, Kris Kringle!"

Any pics? IIIRC, his eye wasn't swollen shut and the blood wasn't getting in his eye. The cut was close to his eyelid, though.

This has happened before in title fights...wasn't it during St-Pierre-Koscheck II that Herb Dean barely let the old, bearded doctor look at Koscheck's eye? Herb just asked Kos something like "You can fight, right?" Meanwhile, Joe Rogan was yelling "Get out of here, Kris Kringle!"

That fight should have been stopped. No question.

i dont really believe it, not saying it didnt happen, but id need more confirmation than dana white's words - anyone have a video of this?

And then is stretchered to the hospital while his opponent is walking around under his own power.

Ah, MMA judging. :rolleyes: That's one thing I never really understood, you have a guy who's relatively unscathed losing while his opponent, despite having a swollen, bleeding face and nearly shut eyes, wins.

Felt the same about Sanchez/Kampmann.

I thought Gus won but he didn't leave relatively unscathed.

He was in bad shape after that spinning elbow.

I think that fight should have been stopped. Kos was blind in 1 eye and doing nothing but getting jabbed, literally, to death.

Back