Dana: "The doctors were going to stop the fight."

Reign009

Not sure if serious.
Reaction score
Dana:
I don't know if you heard, but the doctors were going to stop the fight in the last round because of the cut.
Ariel:
Going into the last round?
Dana:
Yeah, and Jones begged them not to stop the fight. And from what I understand, McCarthy did too, pleaded for them not to stop the fight.

Close call.

But, how do you feel about McCarthy stepping in to plea for Jones to be able to continue? Was it his place to do so or should that have been between Jones and the doctor? Did it violate the impartiality that a referee is supposed to have?

Thoughts?

More reason to have a rematch. Dana sees the $ signs and is building the hype already.

They just need to get that doctor from Pride that let anything go. I don't see why a veteran ref can't have some same on in-cage decisions. He is the guy to pause a fight is he sees an injury.

Glad they didn't stop the fight. I don't think the ref should be getting involved though. I like Big John but he should stay neutral and not try to influence the fight like that.

Guy gets beaten so badly that a doctor has to intervene and somehow wins, not by KO or submission, but judge's decision.

Big John was just trying to facilitate the continuation the fight as scheduled. He's seen a ton of cuts and has an informed opinion so as long as he wasn't jeopardizing fighter safety I don't see a problem. If the doctor was swayed then that's on him.

Technically, it's the ref who stops the fight on the advice of the attending physician. The ref has direct input and, with that ref being the most experienced ref in the history of MMA, Big John's actions were entirely appropriate. The doc should assimilate all information, including his diagnosis, and make his/her professional decision. Any responsible ref will follow the doc's recommendation.

Refs assessing the situation with the doctor in boxing in not uncommon, see no issue.

I think it depends on how the fight is going and how bad the cut is.

In Bellator, they allowed Saunders to get absolutely destroyed even when it was pretty clear he was done after the first 2 uppercuts and stood up all wobbly with his eye looking like swollen vag. Plus he was bleeding a lot.

Jones didn't have nearly as bad a cut, was very competitive in the fight, and he was the champion, in a championship fight. You can't stop fights like that because of a cut.

Wow that's two close calls in two fights for JJ

Not sure if true...
It was the same canadian doctor that didn't stop Aldo vs Hominick when Mark had an alien on his forehead and could barelly open his eye.

Guy gets beaten so badly that a doctor has to intervene and somehow wins, not by KO or submission, but judge's decision.

Cut =/= beaten badly

That cut wasn't even that bad, it wasn't close enough to the eye to warrant a stoppage.

Big John was just trying to facilitate the continuation the fight as scheduled. He's seen a ton of cuts and has an informed opinion so as long as he wasn't jeopardizing fighter safety I don't see a problem. If the doctor was swayed then that's on him.

Was he also just looking out for Gus and facilitating the continuation of the fight as scheduled when he gave Jon a verbal warning for the fingers? And like three subsequent warnings after that? "Hey. I'm not going to take time away from the fight and dock you a point to prevent you from doing this again. But I'M WARNING YOU!! Now fight." x3.

Hmmm. Also, the UFC was probably just facilitating a rematch when those fight statistics got updated/changed on the fly to favor Jones.

So BigJohn is a doctor now... cool.

And then is stretchered to the hospital while his opponent is walking around under his own power.

Ah, MMA judging. :rolleyes: That's one thing I never really understood, you have a guy who's relatively unscathed losing while his opponent, despite having a swollen, bleeding face and nearly shut eyes, wins.

Felt the same about Sanchez/Kampmann.

Jones begged cause he knew he still,had it in him,to hurt Gustaff, rematch is necessary imo however

On what basis would they have stopped it? I don't recall Jones having any particularly gruesome cuts.

Jones is very lucky, almost gets his arm broken, if Chael lasted 10 more seconds Jones would have lost, and now this decision/cut situation.

Back