Dana says he would have given Pacquiao an easier fight and dodged Marquez

i've watched ufc from the start and they've been doing the same thing using boxing as a platform since then, i resent it. I really do, if they want to be more popular, and I've said this for a long time, the best way to do it is to put on exciting fights. Lots of people complain about how boring the fights are, granted, some of that is just not understanding it but some of it is also because the fighters don't always come ready to fight. Anyway, I'm here to talk boxing, if I wanted to hear about mma and ufc i'd go over to those forums.

Right...I'm in here to talk about boxing, or some times comment about which MMA fighter has the most improved boxing skills...

I don't come here to read assholes bash a sport and the fighters of MMA.

What is that supposed to prove? That was before Anderson was in his prime.

VzJjZEc5UFgxVXcx_o_manny-pacquiao-vs-rustico-torrecampo.jpg

What's this you say? Rustico Torrecampo KO'd Manny Pacquiao

So, let's compare a 29 year old P4P entrant (as Silva was when he lost to Chonan, despite the embarrassing loss to Takase) with an 18 year old prospect.

Demian Maia is still a top contender, and at the time so was THales Leites.

Maia is a still a contender (but not a top one) at 170lbs, 15lbs lighter then when he fought Silva. He had his title shot against Silva off the back of beating gatekeeper Dan Miller (who was coming off a loss) after getting KTFO by Marquardt. He run prior to the Marquardt loss? Nate Quarry, Jason MacDonald, Ed Herman and Chael Sonnen... and let's remember at this stage Sonnen's best win at 185lbs was a shot Paulo Filho and prior to that he'd been an also ran 205lbs fighter. Since facing Silva Maia's record at 185lbs is 3-2 with his wins coming over the distinctly average (at world level) Mirands Grove and Santiago (none of whom are still with the UFC) and his losses coming to the pretty average Munoz and the talented Weidman.

As for Thales Leites, his run off wins going into the Silva bout consisted of Drew McFedries, a point deduction assisted win over Marquardt, Ryan Jensen, Floyd Sword and Pete Sell. The only one of those names that is in any way worth a damn is Marquardt.

If you feed a fighter enough weak opponents (as the UFC did with Leites, to a lesser extent Maia for Silva and a whole bunch of times in other divisions; Jim Miller and George Sotiropoulos at 155lbs being easy examples) then they can run up a seemingly impressive "win/loss" record and thus be hailed (normally by Joe Rogan) as a top contender. In reality beating a selection of fighters who are nowhere near contention themselves without ever having to face an upper echelon fighter doesn't make you a contender in and of itself.

Silva has had/is having a fantastic career and I'm a huge fan (one only has to go back to my days posting about MMA extensively here to see my fanboy'ness for the man) but in reality his career record isn't quite as deep as people would like it to be. His win over Sakurai is still exceptional, Jeremy Horn was a pretty decent win when Silva beat him and Alex Stiebling was in great form when they met... but all of those wins come prior to his UFC run.

In the UFC his wins aren't quite as impressive; Franklin is clearly a good fighter but only really has one win of note (Okami... and he struggled in that win), otherwise beating middle-of-the-road and past their best fighters. Marquardt's run into the Silva bout wasn't exactly the most testing (Lister, Wallace, Doerkson, Salaverry), Henderson is a great fighter but never as effective at 185lbs as he is at 205lbs and above. Sonnen was a great win (both times) and despite being a stylistically perfect match Forrest was on a real run of form.

Smoke and mirrors? No, of course not.

Not quite as impressive as some people make him out to be? Yes.

"It is the first time any show on TV5 has had more than half of Mega Manila viewers tune in to the channel all at the same time. Recall that some of the highest rated shows in the history of Philippine TV were "The Battle: Pacquiao vs Morales" in 2006 (83.5%), "Rosalinda" in 1999 (69.8%) and "Meteor Garden" in 2003 (63.8 %)."

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/30925...ence-share-ever-talentado-finals#.UNFmPKw5j4U

:eek:

Apparently that Pacquiao-Morales fight was the highest rated show in the history of Filipino television;

http://www.talk.com.ph/30-all-time-...-of-agb-in-mega-manila-as-of-july-1-2008.html

:eek::eek:

"The Battle" was of course the promotional name Arum came up with for rematch between Pacquiao and Morales that took place in January of 2006 and it apparently saw a whole friggin country looking in to see if Pacquiao could gain revenge over a fighter who beat him in their previous meeting.

I mean, Dana isn't the most articulate of people, sometimes I fucking wonder how he fucking gets these interviews when all he fucking does is cuss like those fucking teenagers on that fucking X Box Live, but in a way he does have a point.

When the fight was announced I thought it was retarded. You're coming off a loss everyone thinks you won and you're going hop back right into a very HIGH risk LOW reward fight? Doesn't make much business sense. If he had a rematch w/ Bradley and showed the same intensity that he did with Marquez, I don't see how Bradley would've made it out of that. The Pacquiao that fought w/ Bradley absolutely refused to pull the trigger, but he almost seemed like a different man (in a positive way) against Marquez, but alas tis was the day he got KTFO'd.

Pacquiao has been KOed in the past. This won't effect him negatively. If anything it may make him into a more dangerous fighter because it is obvious that he hasn't been as hungry in a while due to how much money he is making along with his political endeavors. Plus he admitted this himself.

It's different. Pacquiao was young then with plenty of time to improve. Pacquiao now is old with other things on his plate than just boxing.

Right...I'm in here to talk about boxing, or some times comment about which MMA fighter has the most improved boxing skills...

I don't come here to read assholes bash a sport and the fighters of MMA.

Props to you and Nova for owning those douchebag retards, obviously sherdog is their playground.

Props to you and Nova for owning those douchebag retards, obviously sherdog is their playground.

Who got owned and where? I would like to see it.

Crying about 1 or 2 posters saying something or spreading false information isn't owning anyone. You can leave now. I will allow it. :wink:

Shit, go to the heavies and when boxing gets talked about it gets bashed by someone every single time. It never doesn't. Dana White spouts off about boxing more then any boxer or promoter in boxing. Boxing gets more shit then MMA by ten folds, but if someone says something about MMA it's nearly the end of the world.

Who got owned and where? I would like to see it.

Crying about 1 or 2 posters saying something or spreading false information isn't owning anyone. You can leave now. I will allow it. :wink:

Shit, go to the heavies and when boxing gets talked about it gets bashed by someone every single time. It never doesn't. Dana White spouts off about boxing more then any boxer or promoter in boxing. Boxing gets more shit then MMA by ten folds, but if someone says something about MMA it's nearly the end of the world.

Caz, let me ask you the very same question I've asked others...

do you think Anderson Silva is a product of hype and clever match making and nothing more than a can crusher?

All you racists need to give Tim Bradley his due.

Pac looked like shit in that fight, came in with a stupid strategy with no plan b. He threw away that fight in the last 6 rounds. I'm tired of people acting like it was a showcase for PAcquiao. It was a terrible performance, maybe the worst he's ever fought over 12 rounds.

Wow, i've always disagreed with you about that fight Seano, but now pulling the race card? That is a new all time low for you. It has nothing to do with racism, it has to do with the big majority thinking Pacquiao clearly won that fight.

Wow, i've always disagreed with you about that fight Seano, but now pulling the race card? That is a new all time low for you. It has nothing to do with racism, it has to do with the big majority thinking Pacquiao clearly won that fight.

tumblr_lp8b580Vth1r0ftodo1_250.gif

In the UFC his wins aren't quite as impressive; Franklin is clearly a good fighter but only really has one win of note (Okami... and he struggled in that win), otherwise beating middle-of-the-road and past their best fighters. Marquardt's run into the Silva bout wasn't exactly the most testing (Lister, Wallace, Doerkson, Salaverry), Henderson is a great fighter but never as effective at 185lbs as he is at 205lbs and above. Sonnen was a great win (both times) and despite being a stylistically perfect match Forrest was on a real run of form.

Smoke and mirrors? No, of course not.

Not quite as impressive as some people make him out to be? Yes.

I'm well aware of how clever and deceptive the UFC hype machine can be.

eg: Gsot, Brock Lesnar, Patrick Cote etc...

and most seasoned fans laugh at some of the $hit Joe Rogan says to hype fights...

that being said, Anderson Silva is the real deal...and has earned every accolade afforded to him. Yes, we can scoff at the Bonnar and Irvin fights, but to attempt to diminish or denigrate his career is text book fighter bashing and/or the words of someone who knows jack shit about MMA.

And I disagree with you regarding his resume. It's incredibly impressive. And there is no fighter in the same weight class in the UFC or any other MMA organization that comes close to matching his career and/or skill level.

The bradley fight was harder and less safe

Arum did what a good promoterdoes, eventhough id like to have seen bradley best pacs ass a second time.

Boxing forum inside joke. No one here is racist that I'm aware of.

Caz, let me ask you the very same question I've asked others...

do you think Anderson Silva is a product of hype and clever match making and nothing more than a can crusher?

No, but then again, and I have always thought this.... UFC roster depth and mma's talent pool of fighters is relatively weak when compared to boxing.

Back