dana - ronda rousey would hurt floyd mayweather very badly (new interview)

The difference in strength between a man and a woman is too much. I remember when I was a blue belt and rolled with female brown belts and particularly one who was an MMA champion and won several grappling tournaments. I simply focused on the basics, didn't use any strength, and had to take it very easy on her. We were both not too far apart in weight. I was at 155 and she was 135.

It's like the Ronda Rousey and Gegard Mousasi scenario. Ronda can only do something if Gegard lets her. Floyd Mayweather is an elite athlete. He would destroy Ronda Rousey. Granted she has a good chance of catching him in an armbar, but I would still put my money on Money May.

Another thread where Dana is right and Sherdog thinks if enough people say he is not he isn't. But that's not the case. Unless it's boxing, Ronda fucks pretty boy up.

How do u know?....really...please tell me how do u know. Need facts

dana himself openly stated that he "used to be one of those guys" who would fuckin laugh at this shit. me too...

if I was asked who would win between ken shamrock and mike Tyson 20 years ago, I would've laughed at the person asking the question. "the baddest man on the planet," Mike Tyson, wins easily..... of course, I didn't know that Ken was "the world's most dangerous man."

I can look back now and laugh at how ignorant I was. I had no concept of grappling or joint manipulation. and now, i'd like to think i'm enlightened enough to pick ronda. men are SUPERIOR, but mma is SUPERIOR. i'd pick ronda, and I could be wrong. but this is a totally legit question, and that proves mma's superiority

Ken Shamrock fought cans. The best athletes simply didn't compete in MMA. A prime Mike Tyson with just 3 months of MMA training would have put Ken Shamrock or Royce in a coma. The difference in athleticism is just too much.

I used to be one of those guys that assumed MMA and Jiu-jitsu was so far superior. At the time, I even thought I could take Mike Tyson in an MMA fight with the grappling training I had. Look at what athletes like Jon Bones Jones has been able to accomplish. Dude was a just a good wrestler, but his athleticism allowed him to come into MMA right away with limited training and dominate.

We are now seeing better athletes get into MMA, but the best athletes still go play basketball and football. They don't even get into boxing anymore, thus the sharp drop in boxing's talent pool.

What happens when he cracks her in the jaw?

Honestly, he hasn't stopped anyone that had their hands up in a really long time. He hits people cleanly, usually as hard as he can, and they stare back at him and throw.

He hits her squarely, odds are he breaks those brittle ass hands, she closes the distance and breaks his little scrawny ass arms. Be serious. And I hate Honda.

Ken Shamrock fought cans. The best athletes simply didn't compete in MMA. A prime Mike Tyson with just 3 months of MMA training would have put Ken Shamrock or Royce in a coma. The difference in athleticism is just too much.

not a chance. not a great chance, anyway. he certainly had the athletic edge, and I really think it would've shown more against Royce. but ken shamrock was a beast with enough respectable athleticism and prowess. I think ken would've ripped him to the floor and wrecked him or dove on a leg and tapped him immediately.

athleticism is big in these types of fights because it's only going 1 minute, regardless of who wins. but I just don't think it's enough. I buy into the "swimming with sharks" hyperbole/analogies. grappling > striking. whether or not mike Tyson's athleticism would close that gap in the first 30 seconds is something I wish I could've known, but i'll have to live with Royce/jimmerson for now. (i'm not comparing Tyson to jimmerson, who was crippled by his own fear)

I still believe its not even close. People ask Dana, and he pretty much gives his honest assessment. I believe Floyd would get thrown on his head.

not a chance. not a great chance, anyway. he certainly had the athletic edge, and I really think it would've shown more against Royce. but ken shamrock was a beast with enough respectable athleticism and prowess. I think ken would've ripped him to the floor and wrecked him or dove on a leg and tapped him immediately.

athleticism is big in these types of fights because it's only going 1 minute, regardless of who wins. but I just don't think it's enough. I buy into the "swimming with sharks" hyperbole/analogies. grappling > striking. whether or not mike Tyson's athleticism would close that gap in the first 30 seconds is something I wish I could've known, but i'll have to live with Royce/jimmerson for now. (i'm not comparing Tyson to jimmerson, who was crippled by his own fear)

Dude, Mike Tyson is not Art Jimmerson. Yes, I tapped out far bigger and far more athletic boxers in grappling exhibitions, but a prime Mike Tyson is Iron Mike Tyson. 3 months of training. He would have put Ken Shamrock in a coma. Just remember what Tito did to Ken. Mike Tyson was 100x the athlete Tito ever was. Tyson became the HW champ of the world at the age of 20 after starting boxing at the age of 13/14.

It's just like that freak athlete Lu Xiaojun. Look him up. Dude didn't start Olympic lifting until he was almost 20. Freak of nature. It's just like Roy Jones Jr. The boxing fundamentals didn't matter for him when he was at his prime.

I used to be one of those guys that assumed MMA and Jiu-jitsu was so far superior. At the time, I even thought I could take Mike Tyson in an MMA fight with the grappling training I had. Look at what athletes like Jon Bones Jones has been able to accomplish. Dude was a just a good wrestler, but his athleticism allowed him to come into MMA right away with limited training and dominate.

We are now seeing better athletes get into MMA, but the best athletes still go play basketball and football. They don't even get into boxing anymore, thus the sharp drop in boxing's talent pool.

I totally get what you're saying. in fact, I think gsp is a better example than bones because bones had a lot of wrestling experience.

but i'm not comparing athletes to athletes. if Floyd trained mma from day one, he might be the GOAT FW. and if Tyson trained mma and somehow kept his power/technique.... well, I certainly wouldn't write him off.

but regarding the fights between boxer and mma fighter, I don't think the small gap in athleticism between Tyson and ken is enough to compensate for the gap between mma and boxing. it might've made the difference with Royce. Royce was actually very tough (i'm not even going to refer to his chin because Tyson would crack it with even half of his power), but I look at how he tamed Kimo and question whether or not Tyson would've killed him.

and Floyd, with his athleticism and elusiveness combined with his EXPONENTIALLY greater advantage in boxing, may not be enough to stop a physically inferior expert grappler woman like rousey. it's certainly a close one.

So here is where we are at in the UFC?

The debate (and fight) was can Randy Couture beat James (tub) Toney, PPV worthy apparently. This was 2 men, well maybe 2 1/2

Now Dana flapping about Rousey beating Mayweather, please stop the horseshit, it will never happen anyway.

Is there ANYTHING Dana won't say to keep this girl propped and pumped up? The biggest star in MMA ...lol

Dude, Mike Tyson is not Art Jimmerson. Yes, I tapped out far bigger and far more athletic boxers in grappling exhibitions, but a prime Mike Tyson is Iron Mike Tyson. 3 months of training. He would have put Ken Shamrock in a coma. Just remember what Tito did to Ken. Mike Tyson was 100x the athlete Tito ever was. Tyson became the HW champ of the world at the age of 20 after starting boxing at the age of 13/14.

It's just like that freak athlete Lu Xiaojun. Look him up. Dude didn't start Olympic lifting until he was almost 20. Freak of nature. It's just like Roy Jones Jr. The boxing fundamentals didn't matter for him when he was at his prime.

tito had superior wrestling, which isn't all takedowns and slams. from the moment they clinched up, tito had an advantage in body manipulation (strength, as well, despite the legend of ken's HW strength).

athleticism makes all the difference if it's being used properly from day one. after that, well there's a whole spectrum of things to consider (heart, muscle fatigue, chin, mentality). it's very subjective, and there's no right answer. but I can firmly disagree with 3 months being enough time to beat down someone like ken shamrock.

i'm assuming it's 3 months of sprawling for a guy like Tyson. he would be a 2-dimensional beast (like crocop), but i'm not ready to concede that ken or any relatively athletic versatile mma fighter (tito or randy) wouldn't strangle Tyson in a minute. I think the emphasis on athleticism is a bit much. maybe I'm underestimating it, but I don't think it's that prominent in fighting to close huge gaps in grappling.

if Tyson trained mma (the superior combat) from day one, well then....

I totally get what you're saying. in fact, I think gsp is a better example than bones because bones had a lot of wrestling experience.

but i'm not comparing athletes to athletes. if Floyd trained mma from day one, he might be the GOAT FW. and if Tyson trained mma and somehow kept his power/technique.... well, I certainly wouldn't write him off.

but regarding the fights between boxer and mma fighter, I don't think the small gap in athleticism between Tyson and ken is enough to compensate for the gap between mma and boxing. it might've made the difference with Royce. Royce was actually very tough (i'm not even going to refer to his chin because Tyson would crack it with even half of his power), but I look at how he tamed Kimo and question whether or not Tyson would've killed him.

and Floyd, with his athleticism and elusiveness combined with his EXPONENTIALLY greater advantage in boxing, may not be enough to stop a physically inferior expert grappler woman like rousey. it's certainly a close one.

If you were arguing for Renan Barao or Aldo vs Floyd, it would be no contest, but you're arguing for Ronda Rousey. The difference is between man and woman is far too great, especially when you consider the talent pool for elite MMA women is so small while Floyd is one of the greatest of all time.

As for Tyson, 3 months. That's all he would have needed against Ken Shamrock who fought cans. Take it from someone who has been around elite athletes in the SEC. If those football players got into MMA and wrestling instead of football, they would make Cain Velasquez cry.

If you were arguing for Renan Barao or Aldo vs Floyd, it would be no contest, but you're arguing for Ronda Rousey. The difference is between man and woman is far too great, especially when you consider the talent pool for elite MMA women is so small while Floyd is one of the greatest of all time.

As for Tyson, 3 months. That's all he would have needed against Ken Shamrock who fought cans. Take it from someone who has been around elite athletes in the SEC. If those football players got into MMA and wrestling instead of football, they would make Cain Velasquez cry.

Fuck that!

I want to see 6'11" NBA players in the NHL :)

Dana is ridiculous. Just trying to get people to talk about the ufc and Rousey.

tito had superior wrestling, which isn't all takedowns and slams. from the moment they clinched up, tito had an advantage in body manipulation (strength, as well, despite the legend of ken's HW strength).

athleticism makes all the difference if it's being used properly from day one. after that, well there's a whole spectrum of things to consider (heart, muscle fatigue, chin, mentality). it's very subjective, and there's no right answer. but I can firmly disagree with 3 months being enough time to beat down someone like ken shamrock.

i'm assuming it's 3 months of sprawling for a guy like Tyson. he would be a 2-dimensional beast (like crocop), but i'm not ready to concede that ken or any relatively athletic versatile mma fighter (tito or randy) wouldn't strangle Tyson in a minute. I think the emphasis on athleticism is a bit much. maybe I'm underestimating it, but I don't think it's that prevalent in fighting to close huge gaps in grappling.

if Tyson trained mma (the superior combat) from day one, well then....

Crocop is a great example. The difference in athleticism between Crocop and Mike Tyson is huge. Crocop came into MMA right away with limited training and had success. You would be surprised how much you can learn in just 3 months. All Tyson would have needed to do was learn the basics on takedown defense and getting back up once taken down. If you argued for Cain Velasquez vs Mike Tyson, that would be a different story.

I find it strange when people use the term athelticism as if they think it applies across the board to all sports. Mike was a fat kid who discovered he could punch fast and very hard. That and an incredible chin are his natural gifts. Whether that would translate to wrestling isn't a for sure thing.
Ken fought a world class athlete at UFC 6, and won. World class wrestlers have been in the sport since UFC4. A gold medalist completed as early as UFC9. Would Tyson have stopped Severn or Mark Shultz from scoring a double leg with 3 months training? No fucking way.

Back