News Dana responds to Spencer Fisher: “It’s part of the gig.”

Why should the ufc be responsible for their health after their career is over? That makes no sense.

Without fighters, there is no UFC.

Fighters are in essence the only valuable asset the UFC owns - the brand is worthless without them. We don’t watch the UFC to see Dana interviewed by the Schmo, we watch because we love fights/martial arts.

One would think in a highly dangerous sport you’d want to protect your assets to show them you value them. When you don’t offer long term health coverage and grossly underpay them, they realize they aren’t valued by the company they work for. This leads to less people getting into fighting as an athletic endeavor, which literally makes the sport worse in perpetuity (fewer participants, fewer high-level fighters).

They are literally intentionally hurting the sport and their ex-employees to make obscene profit when they are already making obscene profit....its the endless questions of capitalism - when is it ever enough profit/money? They made billions while doling out a pittance of revenue generated by the core assets of their business.

They are responsible in an ethical/moral sense, not a legal one - this is by their own design though, if Ali act comes to MMA their whole shit-show grinds to a complete halt.

OP short changed Dana's quote, but I figure knowing most won't try to find it in its entirety, or watch the full interview, that was intentional to make it seem far more inflammatory than it was.

nothing Dana said in this case was false. also hard, imo, to put the everything on UFC in a sport where tons of guys fight in other organizations much of their careers, some fight unregulated, and most take far for damage in training at their gym on a daily basis.

Without fighters, there is no UFC.

Fighters are in essence the only valuable asset the UFC owns - the brand is worthless without them. We don’t watch the UFC to see Dana interviewed by the Schmo, we watch because we love fights/martial arts.

One would think in a highly dangerous sport you’d want to protect your assets to show them you value them. When you don’t offer long term health coverage and grossly underpay them, they realize they aren’t valued by the company they work for. This leads to less people getting into fighting as an athletic endeavor, which literally makes the sport worse in perpetuity (fewer participants, fewer high-level fighters).

They are literally intentionally hurting the sport and their ex-employees to make obscene profit when they are already making obscene profit....its the endless questions of capitalism - when is it ever enough profit/money? They made billions while doling out a pittance of revenue generated by the core assets of their business.

They are responsible in an ethical/moral sense, not a legal one - this is by their own design though, if Ali act comes to MMA their whole shit-show grinds to a complete halt.
The fertittas made billions. And took it and ran off.

No one wants that gig. Good luck finding athletes who want to drool 10 years after retirement.

That $5000 a month was to keep him from going public with the injury. That was hush money. Very similar to what the NFL did when they covered up brain injury studies to not hurt football’s popularity. That is wrong and a very valid reason to be upset. Covering up this information means future prospective athletes won’t have a full view on what could potentially happen to them. So how is it “part of the gig” if fighters aren’t made to be aware of it because he’s paying someone to not talk about it? STFU
True.. it is part of the game. But don’t talk about it because it will hurt the business.

Gotta love the timing of this article and the Matt Brown pullquote where he basically admits that he has CTE and is still fighting but doesn't want to to rock the boat because he needs to stand and bang for the casuals on next week's ABC card.

God, that's fucking tragic. It's like having dementia at a young age, only you're aware enough to know you're fucked.

This is my favorite sport, but the cost to participate is high, and the reward not so much.

I think that's the big issue.

Guys are getting beat in the head for a living and most fighters don't make a ton of money. I understand why, I don't need the shills to try and explain to me about how the UFC does business, but, it should change.

It's great the UFC does partner with places like the Cleveland clinic and great that they're donating money, but they really should start some sort of retirement fund that goes to fighters such as Spencer etc.

It's left a bit ambiguous but I took the $5000 a month not as hush money, but helping out a guy who they genuinely liked and contributed a lot to the company. Like he was on the payroll just because they could afford it. And when new ownership took over and looked at all the finances, you can't just have dead weight on the payroll without a reasonable explanation of what their role is.

I'm also guessing that it starts to raise a lot of questions if Dana is paying guys off the books.

I could see how afterwards it could probably look like hush money, but I think it more has to do with the fact that they can't take care of guys the way they used to with someone else's money.

To be fair, he said more than that. I know you couldn't fit it all in the title of course.

He's also not wrong. It's an unfortunate part of the sport but we all tune in for the violence. How many times has a fighter been mocked for getting KO'd? Hell, we used to have huge shoop threads for that. Us fans ourselves can be pretty ruthless and insensitive when it comes to the real life trauma that fighters face.

Still, I hope that some advancements can be made on brain injury studies and people like Spencer can get help.
Used to? Pretty sure that still happens, this forum is highly toxic

Back