News Dana responds to Spencer Fisher: “It’s part of the gig.”

“Two of the gym’s most decorated fighters, founder Pat Miletich and Jens Pulver, competed to see who could drop Spencer first on his first day at the gym. Both lost.”

This is the quote that resonated the most with me after reading the Fisher article. Yes being a human crash test dummy is going to leave you in the state you’re currently in. Fisher also was/is a heavy drinker so that probably didn’t help his situation.

Last edited:
Dana is a savage...
tenor.gif

WelldocumentedSecondaryGalapagostortoise-size_restricted.gif

Yes, it is, but since very few UFC fighters suffer so severely from it that it renders them disabled, it would show a lot of goodwill to help them out, at little cost to the UFC.

Does Dana even have the control to dish out the company’s money like that? It wouldn’t seem so because he was paying Fisher $60,000 a year to do practically nothing for how many years until the new ownership put an end to it.

Sparring isnt bad AT ALL.

I have one practice a week that is literally 90 minutes of sparring.

I have zero issues, because we are going like 30%... bloody noses, fatigue from body shots, etc... but we are rarely getting rattled...

A lot of these guys coming forward with CTE came from the days where gyms would expect you to go life and death constantly in the gym before they would even consider you ready to go and fight for money.

Where the culture was gym wars.

Now, KOing a partner is a bit of a shameful moment.

Yep. Spencer Fisher trained at MFS where the scariest guy wasn't even Robbie Lawler, it apparently was Drew McFederies, and those guys were killing each other. MFS, The Lions Den, Chute Box...those dudes all just killed each other.

Dana is a douche but that's another story...There's plenty of blame to pass around but I wouldn't put the blame most on the fans. Yes there are just bleeds around but most people enjoy display of skills and martial arts...I never liked extra blows after one fighter is unconscious...'cept for Hendo Bisping...i'm sure Hendo isn't sure if Bisping was totally out...but c'mon...most fighters are getting cut despite the wins just because they're boring...UFC is encouraging these breed of fighters for "entertainment" purposes...

That $5000 a month was to keep him from going public with the injury. That was hush money. Very similar to what the NFL did when they covered up brain injury studies to not hurt football’s popularity. That is wrong and a very valid reason to be upset. Covering up this information means future prospective athletes won’t have a full view on what could potentially happen to them. So how is it “part of the gig” if fighters aren’t made to be aware of it because he’s paying someone to not talk about it? STFU
what support do you have that he was prevented from going public by the ufc?

if anyone watched the video it is not something to get mad about. but that won't stop many.....

I have zero issues, because we are going like 30%... bloody noses, fatigue from body shots, etc... but we are rarely getting rattled...

A lot of these guys coming forward with CTE came from the days where gyms would expect you to go life and death constantly in the gym before they would even consider you ready to go and fight for money.

anyone who gives a sparring partner a concussion is a dick, or just made a mistake. at least that's what sparring is to me. i got concussed because a guy was a dick, and once because a guy fucked up pulling back on a head kick (didn't pull enough!). it can still hurt without getting concussed of course.

30% isn't sparring, that's barely going through the motions

anyone who gives a sparring partner a concussion is a dick, or just made a mistake. at least that's what sparring is to me. i got concussed because a guy was a dick, and once because a guy fucked up pulling back on a head kick (didn't pull enough!). it can still hurt without getting concussed of course.

I used to train at a pro mma gym (was mainly a grappling sparring partner) and the guys were all meatheads who would just try and ko each other every class lol majority of them all retired due to injuries and/or found the sport too tough and quit

I think UFC can do things to prevent some of it. Like Cowboy Cerrone should not have fought as many times as he has in the last 1.5 years. Got TKO'ed 3 straight times and they kept putting him back out there. There are other guys with noticeable change in speech in interviews. There needs to be some sort of Before & After testing.

Picture him telling this in his office chair with a tony montana mountain infront of him.
Sweating like a pig, laughing like a hayena.

Cashing in on the fighters while they destroy themselfs.

<CanYouSeeMeNow>

I'm willing to wager the same people chastising Dana are the same ones clamoring for knees and kicks to the head of down opponents to keep things exciting

Some people are so bitter towards Dana it’s hilarious.

I think some of the onus of Spencers problems could be put on the training style at MFS. Back in the day at gyms like MFS, Chute Boxe, Lion's Den, and Golden Glory it was literally kill or be killed gym wars. That hard sparring meathead style of training is pretty much gone, which is obviously for the best. Sure he took damage in his actual UFC fights but I'd argue the majority of damage was done getting his head contiuously bashed in day after day over the course of 10+ years during sparring.

Guys like Robbie Lawler trained that way for years at MFS and eventually stopped sparring altogether when he left to train in Florida....pretty sure he saw the writing on the wall.

Pat Militich is also weirdly in denial of CTE and the seriousness of how widespread it is. Probably because of the rumors surrounding his place

Picture him telling this in his office chair with a tony montana mountain infront of him.
Sweating like a pig, laughing like a hayena.

Cashing in on the fighters while they destroy themselfs.

<CanYouSeeMeNow>
Or you can watch the actual video.....

Back