News Dana responds to Spencer Fisher: “It’s part of the gig.”

Listen to the interview before speaking Dana doesn't sound like a massive Dbag as the headline would make you assume

Maybe they should have hard stop limits for head trauma a fighter can take. After that they force a 6 month suspension and eventually a retirement

No sympathy eh? You are just REALLY tough, wow.

No I’m a realist. Anyone with a brain will tell you being a fighter is a dangerous career path with low rewards. I remember this one kid I went to high school with, his name was Dodds. He was about 5’5 and 130 pounds soaking wet. When he was asked what he wanted to do for a living after high school, he said he wanted to be WWF heavyweight champion. After that, we started calling him Stone Cold Dodds.

To be fair, he said more than that. I know you couldn't fit it all in the title of course.

He's also not wrong. It's an unfortunate part of the sport but we all tune in for the violence. How many times has a fighter been mocked for getting KO'd? Hell, we used to have huge shoop threads for that. Us fans ourselves can be pretty ruthless and insensitive when it comes to the real life trauma that fighters face.

Still, I hope that some advancements can be made on brain injury studies and people like Spencer can get help.

just look at some boxers that have suffered some bad cte. they don't have pensions either...it's the life and career they choose and you have to suffer the consequences.

Really? I swear if Fisher won that fight, we woul
Really? I swear if Fisher won that fight, we would've had Sherk vs Fisher at UFC 73: Stacked. No lie. It was quite awhile ago. I remember it so well though. Hmm...

I guess its possible as franca would of been a huge win for fisher at the time...hes biggest of his carreer as at that time Franca was WECs lightweight champion and just vacated it to come to the UFC after beating Nate diaz...it was a long time ago..i could be wrong..but i felt like that match was made more to set up franca for a shot then fisher...based on the past records and status going into the fight..Franca would go on to get beat by sherk in his next fight and never sniff a title himself again.. fisher would go down hill as well

I think some of the onus of Spencers problems could be put on the training style at MFS. Back in the day at gyms like MFS, Chute Boxe, Lion's Den, and Golden Glory it was literally kill or be killed gym wars. That hard sparring meathead style of training is pretty much gone, which is obviously for the best. Sure he took damage in his actual UFC fights but I'd argue the majority of damage was done getting his head contiuously bashed in day after day over the course of 10+ years during sparring.

Guys like Robbie Lawler trained that way for years at MFS and eventually stopped sparring altogether when he left to train in Florida....pretty sure he saw the writing on the wall.

I've wondered about this myself.

One of the ways the NFL has responded to the concussion issue is to limit full contact practices. They aren't eliminated, but its a lot less than before. In MMA, I wonder if changes to how fighters spar could be made without reducing the quality of training.

tenor.gif
Or as Max Holloway says it, "IsIzWodIsIz".

Its true it's part of the game. Why is everyone acting so surprised now? Y'all never seen Mohammed Ali?

it really can't be proven that boxing gave ali parkonsons....howard cosell, died of exactly the same thing and he never boxed a day in his life. boxing may have sped up the process though.

I doubt MMA CTE will be as prevalent as boxers or nfl players.

Especially as more and more people arent koing each other constantly in the gym.

It is part of the gig, but it's such a new sport that there haven't been a lot of cases. Now a lot of known fighters are in their 40's and 50's and a lot of the sad health stuff will surface more.

Young sport but I can name at least 5 people going crazy

Etim
Fegurson
Riveira
Spencer
Miller

UFC needs to do more, they need to pay their athletes way more for the damage and risks to their health.

And/Or there needs to be more support financially for fighters after they retire. Many fighters continue this sport way past their time, taking even more damage, because it’s all they know and they can’t financially afford to walk away. At the very least fighters should have lifetime healthcare plans available provided by the organisation they spent most of their time fighting for.

Instead of bragging about the money you’ve invested into a fight island, the Performance Institute or some indestructible gloves scam you wasted cash on, help your old fighters you goof.

Go into a sport where you can knee someone in the face...

Shocked you can have permanent brain injury

No way

Insert Nicholas cage gif

Yes, it is, but since very few UFC fighters suffer so severely from it that it renders them disabled, it would show a lot of goodwill to help them out, at little cost to the UFC.

but its true !!

imagine if he kept lying about it

be like nfl still saying nope or boxing

why is anyone surprised ?

MMA fans are so damn stupid they blame CTE on Dana White, have their been any studies into second-hand CTE

Back