News Dana responds to Spencer Fisher: “It’s part of the gig.”

To actually say “it’s part of the gig” is extremely insensitive. But I guess it is what it is...

What a steaming pile of shit he is.
What should he say/do? It’s not like fighters aren’t aware that head trauma can lead to these things. The fighters aren’t being forced to do it and are getting paid. It’s sad, obviously. But I’d the UFC were to pay all there fighters medical bills for their entire life, they’d run out of KO et real quick.

The question isn’t if fighters know they are going to get CTE or other devastating injuries.

The question is what responsibilities does the UFC hold to look after the fighters they profit off of?

The UFC monopolizes the industry for market power to grossly underpay fighters and give them little to no leverage.

If they aren’t looking after their health when they leave (company fighters that fought 10+ times in the UFC) while profiting billions then to me it is highly unethical and morally reprehensible.

<{danayeah}>

No, it was the opinion of Emily Fisher and Spencer Fisher that that was what the money was for. If you read the article as you claimed to have done, you'd know that, jackass.

U mad bro?

That may come back to bite him in the ass with the Ali Act being implemented in MMA

I’m surprised, frankly. The physical risks and consequences of MMA are no secret, but it’s also one of those “don’t look behind the green curtain” realities that we as fans are better off not being exposed too. The UFC cannot keep every fighter on the docket for years and years, but if the owners value the long term sustainability of the sport, they need to invest in fighter health or after care in some way. Fisher is just one person out of a litany of just bleed era fighters, there are undoubtedly others in his position, and seeing those athletes reduced to dementia timers is going to hurt the sports mainstream marketability. I don’t think Dana has the tact or experience to comment on these sorts of situations. UFC needs to start crafting statements with a little more care and less glib dismissals.

shitty thread title, Dana wasnt a dick, or heartless, or anything like that in his response.

The question isn’t if fighters know they are going to get CTE or other devastating injuries.

The question is what responsibilities does the UFC hold to look after the fighters they profit off of?

The UFC monopolizes the industry for market power to grossly underpay fighters and give them little to no leverage.

If they aren’t looking after their health when they leave (company fighters that fought 10+ times in the UFC) while profiting billions then to me it is highly unethical and morally reprehensible.

<{danayeah}>

Why should the ufc be responsible for their health after their career is over? That makes no sense.

What is he supposed to say or do. Any one with half a brain knows repeated blows to the head cannot be good even before CTE became well known. It’s a risk you take to do something you love. Fighter pay blows, but the contract states what you’re being paid. Very few strike it rich with MMA. If you enjoy the sport, but don’t want to risk your health, become a ref or coach. It sucks for Fisher, but it isn’t Dana’s responsibility or fault.

I can't believe anyone on an MMA forum would be under any kind of illusion that spending a 10+ year career getting repeatedly hit in the head is anything other than very bad for your health.

It is what it is, it sounds like they're throwing some money towards companies doing CTE research which is about all they can do to mitigate it's effects. The only way they could stop it occurring is to ban shots to the head, which I don't think anyone would be interested in.

Dana may be a dick...but let's not pretend like in 2021 people are surprised that getting hit in the head a lot has a negative impact on you

This is my favorite sport, but the cost to participate is high, and the reward not so much.
No truer words were ever spoken
I think some of the onus of Spencers problems could be put on the training style at MFS. Back in the day at gyms like MFS, Chute Boxe, Lion's Den, and Golden Glory it was literally kill or be killed gym wars. That hard sparring meathead style of training is pretty much gone, which is obviously for the best. Sure he took damage in his actual UFC fights but I'd argue the majority of damage was done getting his head contiuously bashed in day after day over the course of 10+ years during sparring.

Guys like Robbie Lawler trained that way for years at MFS and eventually stopped sparring altogether when he left to train in Florida....pretty sure he saw the writing on the wall.
This is true, too

Last edited:
I mean its the same with football. If you try and remove head damage from ufc, there is no mma any more.

lmao I like how Dana lumps himself in with these warriors. Dana you were a fucking boxercise instructor you jackass. <45>
Yeah I was gonna say. Dismisses fisher by saying oh yeah I have problems too lol. I mean it’s a tough issue because getting rid of CTE means getting rid of contact sports. Just no way around it.

Yeah, its so terrible people pour in here everyday to escape their systems that are so much better. Only someone with a scarcity mind set would say what you just said.
Those people have been lied to and believe the lie you sell. Once they're here and realize it's all bullshit, they don't have the resources to leave because capitalism drains them dry.

Those people have been lied to and believe the lie you sell. Once they're here and realize it's all bullshit, they don't have the resources to leave because capitalism drains them dry.
Go live in a non capitalist country? I don’t see the allure of it.

Back