News Dana responds to Spencer Fisher: “It’s part of the gig.”

Brutal.
but on the other hand,
You kind of know smashing your brain around isn't good for...
the brain that you are smashing around.

i mean he's speaking the obvious, you run the risk in any contact sport and there's nothing to stop that

It is part of the gig, but it's such a new sport that there haven't been a lot of cases. Now a lot of known fighters are in their 40's and 50's and a lot of the sad health stuff will surface more.

Boxing has been around over 100 years. Fighters know what they are getting into.

“He’s not the first and he’s definitely not the last.”

Hes not wrong..spencer was never in title contention yet continued to fight on, alternating wins and loses in alot of Just bleed fights...if you go that route...expect CTE....slugfest isnt intelligent fighting

Hes not wrong..spencer was never in title contention yet continued to fight on, alternating wins and loses in alot of Just bleed fights...if you go that route...expect CTE....slugfest isnt intelligent fighting
Never? He did make it to a title elimination bout against Hermes Franca back at like fight night 8 or something.

That $5000 a month was to keep him from going public with the injury. That was hush money. Very similar to what the NFL did when they covered up brain injury studies to not hurt football’s popularity. That is wrong and a very valid reason to be upset. Covering up this information means future prospective athletes won’t have a full view on what could potentially happen to them. So how is it “part of the gig” if fighters aren’t made to be aware of it because he’s paying someone to not talk about it? STFU

Nah it really wasn't. He took it as hush money but that was a thank you a la what they gave to Forrest, Chuck, and many others. Forrest is one of the only ones who actually worked so he still has a job I believe but yeah that was some thank you money, shoulda invested it while his wife was still working.

Never? He did make it to a title elimination bout against Hermes Franca back at like fight night 8 or something.

I think that was more of a title elimination match for franca...then fisher ..fisher was on two fight win streak where as franca was on a 5 fight win streak...i dont think anyone expected fisher to fight for the title with a win

He's not wrong and if you are mad at Dana you are an idiot. We've all seen how Muhammed Ali looks these days. We've all seen/heard of boxers dying in the ring. All these fighters come in knowing the risks. Sounds like the UFC was supporting him for quite some time. It sucks. Nobody likes to see it. That's why I'm always happy when guys make their money and decide to call it good a la GSP and Khabib. That's the game man, it's the fight business. Many of these guys will live with horrible knee, back, etc injuries as well even if they don't get any brain damage. That's the gig man. Same with football and hockey. This is a combat sport.

Hell I have knee, back and elbow injuries just from high school wrestling and jiu jitsu as a hobby. Is what it is.

That’s just your opinion. No real facts or evidence. Good thing you don’t work as a journalist, but if you wanted to I’m sure you could get a job as one.
That ain’t an opinion him paying off Spencer is a fact go read the article if not please don’t reply to me I don’t have time for bullcrap
Nah it really wasn't. He took it as hush money but that was a thank you a la what they gave to Forrest, Chuck, and many others. Forrest is one of the only ones who actually worked so he still has a job I believe but yeah that was some thank you money, shoulda invested it while his wife was still working.
”Thank you money” Lmfao the shills are doing their work God bless you guys you really do your job well

They also kept Forrest because he fits the age demographic. Most casual fans didn’t start watching until the end of Chuck and Hughes career.

He's right though.

Same with any contact sport.

You know what you're getting into, or at least, you should.

That ain’t an opinion him paying off Spencer is a fact go read the article if not please don’t reply to me I don’t have time for bullcrap

”Thank you money” Lmfao the shills are doing their work God bless you guys you really do your job well

I have read the article. You’re just twisting the words in the article and giving your opinion on it as if it’s fact when it’s not.

“He’s not the first and he’s definitely not the last.”

I hope the fighters are paying attention. Fight not to get hit. Don't fight necessarily for the fans.

Dana isn't going to give a fuck about you and when you can't even grip your child's hand or a coffee mug, (most of) the fans won't be there to help you or care sadly.

Last edited:
I think that was more of a title elimination match for franca...then fisher ..fisher was on two fight win streak where as franca was on a 5 fight win streak...i dont think anyone expected fisher to fight for the title with a win
Really? I swear if Fisher won that fight, we would've had Sherk vs Fisher at UFC 73: Stacked. No lie. It was quite awhile ago. I remember it so well though. Hmm...

That $5000 a month was to keep him from going public with the injury. That was hush money. Very similar to what the NFL did when they covered up brain injury studies to not hurt football’s popularity. That is wrong and a very valid reason to be upset. Covering up this information means future prospective athletes won’t have a full view on what could potentially happen to them. So how is it “part of the gig” if fighters aren’t made to be aware of it because he’s paying someone to not talk about it? STFU

First off, everyone, EVERYONE is aware of the long term effects of brain injuries. The UFC is not sweeping anything under the rug. They acknowledge that brain injuries happen. They have invested in research. The NFL covered it up when it was not a known problem decades ago.

Second, Spencer isn't the first UFC veteran to come out about brain injury. Not one of them said they were paid hush money. You know why? They weren't. There is nothing to stay hush about. It's common knowledge. The best that you can do is to imply that it was hush money and that shit don't fly.

Third, the UFC is not solely responsible for acknowledging, making aware and researching brain injuries. The gyms play a role. The fans play a role. The media plays a role. What about the fact that the gym trainers took turn trying to knock Spencer out while taking a huge cut of his paycheck? Where are they now? What about the fact that fans were paying for and cheering them on to knock each other's brains out then completely forgot about them until now?

You have the luxury of paying for them to get injured, cheering and booing when they don't do enough to get injured, then be ignorant of them and their health in retirement. Then when made aware, cry about it but do absolutely nothing and then forget about it in a week.

The UFC is in it for all of its existence. They acknowledge that it exists. They have invested in it. Can they do more? Sure they can. Still, there isn't much more that Dana could say to make it any better because it's just a horrible thing.

Edit: Also, it is important to note the timeline of things. The UFC offered him the $5000 a month contract to be on stand by for promotional purposes after he retired. He became aware of his brain injuries after the fact and decided to keep it on the low himself. No hush money. You're just looking for something to cry about and someone to hold accountable without acknowledging any of the responsibility yourself.

Last edited:
Boxing has been around over 100 years. Fighters know what they are getting into.

Yes, but MMA specific cases will start to come out now. The test dummies period is over. When nothing is in the news people tend to forget (no pun) and the promoters don't have to deal with it.

If you're worried about CTE, probably not a bright idea to sign to a profession where getting punched in the head by trained fighters is par for the course.

Back