News Dana responds to Spencer Fisher: “It’s part of the gig.”

Fisher did it to himself, no sympathy from me. Boxing has been around long enough that fighters should know what happens if you get hit in the head too much.
No sympathy? Ok.
Yes it happens,but just cos im on the internet dont mean I dont have compassion for these guys.

<Neil01>

Fisher did it to himself, no sympathy from me. Boxing has been around long enough that fighters should know what happens if you get hit in the head too much.

Yeah but tbf most boxers who are getting serious CTE are brawlers or stuck around too long.

In MMA where motherfuckers have next to no defensive skills, tiny gloves, a million ways to bludgeon someone into a coma, and referees that wait until fighters have been sleeping for like 30 minutes before stopping the fight... You're going to see a loooooot more punch drunk fighters in the next few years trust that

“He’s ain’t the last, and surely ain’t the first G, but his monkey ass rolled away in a hearse, G.”:cool::cool:

To be fair, he said more than that. I know you couldn't fit it all in the title of course.

He's also not wrong. It's an unfortunate part of the sport but we all tune in for the violence. How many times has a fighter been mocked for getting KO'd? Hell, we used to have huge shoop threads for that. Us fans ourselves can be pretty ruthless and insensitive when it comes to the real life trauma that fighters face.

Still, I hope that some advancements can be made on brain injury studies and people like Spencer can get help.
I also love the irony of how many cte threads and cte sympathy posts that go around, yet like 90% of posters also think tapping to strikes is a pussy move when you’re finished

Anyone surprised by this is genuinely a fucking idiot
If you sign up to get hit in the head for a living and you get hit in the head a lot, you'll suffer the consequences of getting hit in the head a lot

I also love the irony of how many cte threads and cte sympathy posts that go around, yet like 90% of posters also think tapping to strikes is a pussy move when you’re finished

Fans are hippo hippo crits

You really should have sympathy, but if you really have no sympathy after watching this, tbh, fuck yourself. Fisher was in some amazing fights, just because they fight for sport, doesn't mean they deserve to deal with this. He wasn't even a guy who hung around too long and got knocked out a bunch and ignored everyone saying he should retire or something like that. You should have more respect, especially for an account made in 2007. Fisher was awesome back in the day and it sucks to see him like this.

I’ve seen the video and read the article. I used to watch Fisher fight all the time back in the day and I don’t have any sympathy for someone who literally chose fighting as a career path. He’s not some dirt poor kid from the favelas of Brazil fighting to survive, he had options. It sucks what happened to him, but it is what it is. He made his bed.

Last edited:
Yeah but tbf most boxers who are getting serious CTE are brawlers or stuck around too long.

In MMA where motherfuckers have next to no defensive skills, tiny gloves, a million ways to bludgeon someone into a coma, and referees that wait until fighters have been sleeping for like 30 minutes before stopping the fight... You're going to see a loooooot more punch drunk fighters in the next few years trust that

I don’t lose any sleep at night over people choosing to fight for money and getting cte.

No sympathy? Ok.
Yes it happens,but just cos im on the internet dont mean I dont have compassion for these guys.

<Neil01>

It sucks for Fisher. But at the end of the day he did it to himself.

TBI isn’t a secret. Everyone who fights knows the risks.
Everyone? You must've missed the thread talking about Wanderlei Silva's book where he said he would have his trainer hit him in the head so he could get used to fighting from a dazed state. He also has said he thought getting hit more in training would prevent the knockout. Not all fighters know the risks.

I don’t lose any sleep at night over people choosing to fight for money and getting cte.

No one said you should but to act like MMA isn't a higher risk is going to prove foolish in the next few years when all of yesterday's stars are being pushed in a wheel chair drooling.

It'll eventually become a big enough story that UFC will get stuck having to take measures to insulate from lawsuits and we'll end up with something way more padded than we have today. Just like any contact sport.

Obviously my statement wasn't intended to gauge your personal emotional turmoil under the incorrect assumption a sherdogger is capable of basic human traits like empathy.

Thread title makes this seem worse than what it is. He also says it’s something the UFC is aware of and they are reaching out and researching methods to combat/deal with it.

Okay its part of the business than maybe orgs should be responsible for medical care to fighters with CTE.

If people work on dangerous fields most of the time the company responsible is held as responsible.

Thread title makes this seem worse than what it is. He also says it’s something the UFC is aware of and they are reaching out and researching methods to combat/deal with it.

Yeah they are trying DMT, Rogan aproves

anyone who gives a sparring partner a concussion is a dick, or just made a mistake. at least that's what sparring is to me. i got concussed because a guy was a dick, and once because a guy fucked up pulling back on a head kick (didn't pull enough!). it can still hurt without getting concussed of course.

Pain doesnt mean injury or CTE though.

Like ive been dropped by bodyshots but was usually well enough in short time.

30% isn't sparring, that's barely going through the motions

If 30 % for you is just going through the motions, then your 100% isnt gonna bust a grape.

30% can still snap heads back a bit, bleed a dry nose, and mark you up... when you have fighters claiming their ufc fight was them at "70%" , 30 is more than enough for sparring. You dont need to KO each other. Just swing fast and hard enough to make it hurt to discourage people from taking it.

The NFL has both lifetime health insurance and a pension. The players get to collectively bargain so they don't get shafted in lopsided deals.

I LOVE what Dana has accomplished with the UFC and MMA. There is no way to overstate how incredible the sport has grown specifically because of Dana.

That being said, it is common sense to recognize fighters deserve basic terms like health insurance and a retirement plan. Other sports have it and far more equitable deals on revenue sharing.

Even if you don't think fighters are underpaid, you have to acknowledge its a travesty a guy like Fisher doesn't have health insurance despite being a 17 fight veteran of the UFC. They have all the requirements of employees but get treated like the 'contractors' the minute the UFC is done with them.

Spencer Fisher is a legend in the sport and was an absolute company man. He deserves better then this.

I agree I'd like to see some sort of plan, but it's difficult to work out where they draw the line with it. I wouldn't expect them to give anything to someone who fought for them a couple of times for example, but the 15 fight vets, sure.

Pain doesnt mean injury or CTE though.

Like ive been dropped by bodyshots but was usually well enough in short time.
Yeah. I’m just pointing out to people who may not have experience that no cte doesn’t mean it doesn’t suck sometimes. :)

Back