News Dana responds to Spencer Fisher: “It’s part of the gig.”

Pay these guys more than dog sh*t then Dana.

The odd thing is, the more money that fighters get paid, the more people will enter MMA, and the more people could potentially get head injuries.

More money in the fight game will bring those numbers up, and it will likely only ever be the elite that get well paid, as is the case with pretty much all sports.

31534938-7309-4adc-bc37-1eea1b30cc93_text.gif

Not a Union guy at all but these fighters are idiots for non unionizing to force basic support like medical coverage and some sort of a pension.

I think Dana is as much of a moron as anyone but do you guys honestly think the UFC should set the precedent of paying guys who have medical issues not to do anything after they're retired? How many guys would they end up paying not to fight 20 years from now and where do they draw the line?

He’s not wrong.

CTE is literally the reason I stopped striking and never pursued professional fighting. I was making enough money off my brain and I didn’t want to jeopardize that. So I stuck to being a hobbyist.

I’m truly sorry for fishers condition. But it is an obvious risk. Similar to a nascar driver getting injured or losing their life in a crash. Doesn’t happen to everyone, but everyone knows the risks. Damn shame, but it’s part of the game.

He has the authorization to provide medical benefits, like short and long term disability.

So he gives the guy $60,000 a year to do practically nothing for years yet won’t give him short term disability? Something doesn’t add up. I get it’s a slippery slope because you’re going to all have kinds of fighters coming out of the woodwork wanting Dana to pay their medical bills like Tim Sylvia for his arm that Frank Mir broke however many years ago.

Its a soundbyte clickbait thread.

Should post cliffs in the OP so the lazy sherdoggers dont just jump to conclusions

Moving goalposts? Fertittas made billions and cashed out. Fact.

The current owners have realized earnings and cash flow. Not capital appreciation.

That’s a fact, but it’s because they built a business model that pays 15-17% of net revenue to athletes. Also taking huge dividends to pay recent investors instead of paying fighters more.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...nvestors-fighters-underpayment-complaints.amp

I get it, it’s legal. That doesn’t make it right though.

<WhatItIs>

Fisher did it to himself, no sympathy from me. Boxing has been around long enough that fighters should know what happens if you get hit in the head too much.
It is the sad truth, but the truth nonetheless.

Fighters shouldn’t be surprised from getting CTE after their career is over. Your job requires you to get hit to the head, and depending on your fighting style will decide how much damage you will receive at the end. This is why Mayweather is known for beating the game of boxing, he left rich and seems to have his wits still.

Fighters that decide to guard themselves with their face will end up like Spencer Fisher or worse. It’s unfortunate, but it is what they signed up for.

Wait until these mainstream guys start hitting there 50s and 60s

It’s not going to be good for some of these guys. Hell Max Holloway can barely speak already.

That’s a fact, but it’s because they built a business model that pays 15-17% of net revenue to athletes. Also taking huge dividends to pay recent investors instead of paying fighters more.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...nvestors-fighters-underpayment-complaints.amp

I get it, it’s legal. That doesn’t make it right though.

<WhatItIs>
Yes, that’s what I said. That’s what the fertittas sold......

But it’s not inherently a business model that pays 15-17%. They, like most companies, pay what they have to in the markets they operate. It’s why the yankees only spent 29% on payroll in 2018, and the cowboys pay 23% (and the CBA of course).
2018_MLB_revenue_payroll_spending_on_payroll_percentage_of_revenue_v2.png

https://www.forbes.com/teams/dallas-cowboys/?sh=76469d881426

If you were in charge of the ufc, in charge of running a company on behalf of your ownership group, you’d have to have a business case to materially change it.

I appreciate the honesty, we all know that fighting for a living comes with real health risks, especially in later life, fighters roll the dice, some win, some break even and unfortunately some lose.

It would be nice if there was something in place to help guys but it's unreasonable to expect the UFC to support every fighter that fought in the UFC.

To be fair, he said more than that. I know you couldn't fit it all in the title of course.

He's also not wrong. It's an unfortunate part of the sport but we all tune in for the violence. How many times has a fighter been mocked for getting KO'd? Hell, we used to have huge shoop threads for that. Us fans ourselves can be pretty ruthless and insensitive when it comes to the real life trauma that fighters face.

Still, I hope that some advancements can be made on brain injury studies and people like Spencer can get help.

thank you.

watch the video and don’t judge the clickbait headline

Fisher did it to himself, no sympathy from me. Boxing has been around long enough that fighters should know what happens if you get hit in the head too much.

You really should have sympathy, but if you really have no sympathy after watching this, tbh, fuck yourself. Fisher was in some amazing fights, just because they fight for sport, doesn't mean they deserve to deal with this. He wasn't even a guy who hung around too long and got knocked out a bunch and ignored everyone saying he should retire or something like that. You should have more respect, especially for an account made in 2007. Fisher was awesome back in the day and it sucks to see him like this.

He's just saying that it's something that happens in the sport. Everyone is glossing over the part where he says that it is something they are aware of and have invested in research.

Even the fact that, after retiring, the UFC offered Fisher job where he does not do anything and made $5000 a month. It was the new ownership that put an end to that, not Dana.

There was nothing wrong with what Dana said and you guys are just looking for something to cry about.

What's he supposed to say? Obviously, he feels bad but he's saying that it is something every one knows happens and they have research into it.
Could it also set a precedent on ex UFC fighters(new/old) getting free medical coverage.

Yes, that’s what I said. That’s what the fertittas sold......

But it’s not inherently a business model that pays 15-17%. They, like most companies, pay what they have to in the markets they operate. It’s why the yankees only spent 29% on payroll in 2018, and the cowboys pay 23% (and the CBA of course).
2018_MLB_revenue_payroll_spending_on_payroll_percentage_of_revenue_v2.png

https://www.forbes.com/teams/dallas-cowboys/?sh=76469d881426

If you were in charge of the ufc, in charge of running a company on behalf of your ownership group, you’d have to have a business case to materially change it.

Everything you said is correct from a modern economic standpoint. As I said repeatedly, it’s legal just not moral/ethical.

They (the bald one and the ufc brass) would make the distinction that it is actually moral/ethical, and this is where we differ.

The NFL has both lifetime health insurance and a pension. The players get to collectively bargain so they don't get shafted in lopsided deals.

I LOVE what Dana has accomplished with the UFC and MMA. There is no way to overstate how incredible the sport has grown specifically because of Dana.

That being said, it is common sense to recognize fighters deserve basic terms like health insurance and a retirement plan. Other sports have it and far more equitable deals on revenue sharing.

Even if you don't think fighters are underpaid, you have to acknowledge its a travesty a guy like Fisher doesn't have health insurance despite being a 17 fight veteran of the UFC. They have all the requirements of employees but get treated like the 'contractors' the minute the UFC is done with them.

Spencer Fisher is a legend in the sport and was an absolute company man. He deserves better then this.

Back