Dana pumps the brakes on Nick Diaz's return

Nope, if the contract is paused, no time limit. Nate Quarry was under contract as of a few years ago, and his last fight was in 2010. And why wouldn't the UFC be willing to go to court? They can outspend and outlast any fighter, even the highest earning ones.

He also got PPV points for that fight, so I suspect he has to negotiate any non-disclosed purse pay on a fight by fight basis.
That's not how contracts work, Nick never officially retired. And they would be stupid to take the case to court in California, there is a very good chance they would lose the case and set legal precedent against all their contracts.

That's not how contracts work, Nick never officially retired. And they would be stupid to take the case to court in California, there is a very good chance they would lose the case and set legal precedent against all their contracts.
Yeah, like I said. One of those 2 scenarios lol

Yeah, like I said. One of those 2 scenarios lol
So in this situation they would most likely lose and losing would cost them orders of magnitudes more than a win would gain them, but sure they should go for it :rolleyes:

So in this situation they would most likely lose and losing would cost them orders of magnitudes more than a win would gain them, but sure they should go for it :rolleyes:
Again, I said one of the two scenarios I described. And the UFC has the money and patience to outlast almost any fighter in court, including Diaz. Unless Diaz wants to spend millions and wait 5 years, he isn't beating the UFC in court (even if he had a good argument to on legal merit). And a UFC win (just Diaz losing a hypothetical suit in court) would be massive. That sends a "don't fuck with us" message to the fighters, which the UFC loves.

They’ll pay him what he’s contracted for. He probably wants more. His last reported payout was $500k.
I think it's more fight selection than money. UFC doesn't pay people 500k to fight bums. Conversely, Nick Diaz doesn't want to fight #1 contenders and put them over.

Sadly, Diaz is out of his fighting prime. Who knows? He could pull a Couture and dominate but it's unlikely with all the killers are WW.
No he can't pull Couture. Couture didn't party and drink 5 years straight. You guys are pathetic. Nate will look like bum when fighting Leon. And Nate is still a fighter although shot one. Sorry to say but Nick is not fighter but alcoholic now.

Again, I said one of the two scenarios I described. And the UFC has the money and patience to outlast almost any fighter in court, including Diaz. Unless Diaz wants to spend millions and wait 5 years, he isn't beating the UFC in court (even if he had a good argument to on legal merit). And a UFC win (just Diaz losing a hypothetical suit in court) would be massive. That sends a "don't fuck with us" message to the fighters, which the UFC loves.
only the most conservative judges in the most red states would ever even consider supporting a contract that forces someone to only work for a single employer for a decade as legal. No chance that case would last anytime in a California court.

Misleading to what he said in the interview . He said that's how feels but at the end of the day Nick Diaz is a grown man that can make his own decisions and he'll sign a fight for him regardless of his decisions . I mean it's Dana so he could be bullshitting but that's what he said

only the most conservative judges in the most red states would ever even consider supporting a contract that forces someone to only work for a single employer for a decade as legal. No chance that case would last anytime in a California court.
Like I said, long term, yeah Diaz wins. But does he want to spend a couple million bucks and spend years and court, effectively ending his career possibly? Nope.

I expect Diaz to either stay retiree or eventually find a UFC deal that he can live with.

He didn’t fulfill his contract. That’s why he’s not free to offer his services to other combat promotions.

And tomorrow in the news Nick Diaz signed to fight a big name fighter!

He didn’t fulfill his contract. That’s why he’s not free to offer his services to other combat promotions.
They can't force him to never work again, that will never hold up in court.

They can't force him to never work again, that will never hold up in court.
He’s free to work for them, or in any other unrelated field. He just can’t sign with bellator or other competitors in the same industry he’s choosing not to fulfill his contract with the ufc.

He’s free to work for them, or in any other unrelated field. He just can’t sign with bellator or other competitors in the same industry he’s choosing not to fulfill his contract with the ufc.
That's not how non compete clauses work, they aren't indefinite.

Back