Dana pumps the brakes on Nick Diaz's return

I don't read it like that. I see it as Nick wants a high profile, meaningful fight and the UFC is like "dude you've been inactive for a long time. Fight a mid tier guy and show everyone you're back. I'm not going to give you wonderboy Thompson coming off a 5 year layoff."

It's like BJ Penn asking to fight Dustin Porier
Put him against Condit or someone like that. There are options between the extremes or title shot and prospect.

Can't blame a fighter for looking out for themselves. A promoter sure isn't going to do that

Heard stories about Nick Diaz during his retirement from the sport. As harsh as it may sound, the guy became a complete alcoholic. He’s been making money off doing appearances and sponsorships but even that seems to be drying up now.
Doesn't he have a cannabis business? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Dana being Dana again. He's not interested in legacy fights. The only use he has for older fighters is to put over young up and comers.

i can't stand this guy. value the legends. nick could headline a ppv against robbie, condit, masvidal and sell out a crowd. why does he need to fight the young talent so they can build a name off him.

Heard stories about Nick Diaz during his retirement from the sport. As harsh as it may sound, the guy became a complete alcoholic. He’s been making money off doing appearances and sponsorships but even that seems to be drying up now.

Screenshot_20210508-202152~2.png

What happened in Vegas, didn't stay in Vegas.

Diaz vs Thompson. "Weirdo in there doing that spinning sh*t"

Translation: Nick wants actual money to fight, these up and comers will fight for nothing. They want it more!

This is closer to the truth than many would like to admit.

Dana insisted repeatedly that Georges St. Pierre didn't want to come back. This was a negotiation tactic prior to his title fight with Bisping. Verbatim telling the media "I know fighters and he doesn't want to fight." We know from history this was a crock of shit, but negotiating in public with misdirection is part of the tool-set used to keep fighter pay at 18% of revenue.

Fighters have no advocacy and need a association for this to change.

Put him against Condit or someone like that. There are options between the extremes or title shot and prospect.

Can't blame a fighter for looking out for themselves. A promoter sure isn't going to do that
It's be cool with that and probably the UFC would be but Nick's management wouldn't be.

From what I've picked up over the last 2 years is Nick has wanted to fight but his management team think it's still 2015. The UFC is CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED TO OFFER EVERY FIGHTER UNDER CONTACT 3 FIGHTS A YEAR OR HAVE TO FINANCIALLY COMPENSATE THAT FIGHTER. That is standard for every non champion UFC fighter.

How many fights Nick has turned down at his extremely comfortable pay? At least 15 by the math. It's not the money. It's the opponent.

Nick wants a high profile fight with meaningful consequences. The UFC is trying to sacrifice Nick to say a Vincent Luque or Geoff Neal while Nick's team is trying to negotiate for Wonderboy or Usman.

could be a power play move to bring nick's price down. maybe it's just a money issue.

I don't read it like that. I see it as Nick wants a high profile, meaningful fight and the UFC is like "dude you've been inactive for a long time. Fight a mid tier guy and show everyone you're back. I'm not going to give you wonderboy Thompson coming off a 5 year layoff."

It's like BJ Penn asking to fight Dustin Porier

If UFC cared at all they would give him a fight based off of that illegal 5 year ban. He tested under the limit. Once again, UFC showing their true colors. Zero support shown.

It's be cool with that and probably the UFC would be but Nick's management wouldn't be.

From what I've picked up over the last 2 years is Nick has wanted to fight but his management team think it's still 2015. The UFC is CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED TO OFFER EVERY FIGHTER UNDER CONTACT 3 FIGHTS A YEAR OR HAVE TO FINANCIALLY COMPENSATE THAT FIGHTER. That is standard for every non champion UFC fighter.

How many fights Nick has turned down at his extremely comfortable pay? At least 15 by the math. It's not the money. It's the opponent.

Nick wants a high profile fight with meaningful consequences. The UFC is trying to sacrifice Nick to say a Vincent Luque or Geoff Neal while Nick's team is trying to negotiate for Wonderboy or Usman.
Thats not how an mma contracts works. Either the UFC has been offering fights that Diaz turned down and as a result they've tolled his contract, or Diaz informed them he is retired and the contract was frozen. Diaz hasn't been raking in money for sitting out, that's not how the UFC works.

Honestly my feel is that Diaz wants retirement fights effectively, not a fight with title implications.

If UFC cared at all they would give him a fight based off of that illegal 5 year ban. He tested under the limit. Once again, UFC not giving a fuck about there fighters, ever.
The UFC didn't suspend him. The NAC did.

Reactions: lsa
Thats not how an mma contracts works. Either the UFC has been offering fights that Diaz turned down and as a result they've tolled his contract, or Diaz informed them he is retired and the contract was frozen. Diaz hasn't been raking in money for sitting out, that's not how the UFC works.

Honestly my feel is that Diaz wants retirement fights effectively, not a fight with title implications.
Exactly.

The UFC has been offering Nick Diaz fights. Nick has just turned them down. Come on. We've heard about Nick's potential comeback for at least 3 years now. They UFC has been offering him fights. Nick doesn't want then for some reason.

Now I can't speak on the reasons why. I can only speculate like the next person. But I do now how the contracts work and the UFC offers every fight on their roster 3 fights in a calendar.

Now there are 1 fight contracts but that's usually short term something messed up happened and they are scrambling. Not the typical.

Cherry picking

Listen to the whole interview, Dana isn’t pumping the brakes at all he invites Diaz to let him know who he wants to fight in order to sign it.

Yeah his appearances and sponsorship money has dried up due to covid. He’s probably realized he needs to fight again to get a good payday.

Exactly.

The UFC has been offering Nick Diaz fights. Nick has just turned them down. Come on. We've heard about Nick's potential comeback for at least 3 years now. They UFC has been offering him fights. Nick doesn't want then for some reason.

Now I can't speak on the reasons why. I can only speculate like the next person. But I do now how the contracts work and the UFC offers every fight on their roster 3 fights in a calendar.

Now there are 1 fight contracts but that's usually short term something messed up happened and they are scrambling. Not the typical.
Yeah, like I said, one of the two scenarios above. I'm just pointing out, in neither scenario does the UFC pay Diaz.

I don't fully expect to see Diaz, but if he says he wants to fight, I on some level have to take him at his word. Plus the "he doesn't wanna fight" usually means something else in Dana parlance.

My hope is it's a 5D chess play to break out of the contract, but it's a Diaz, legal expertise probably isn't their forte

khamzat has been out for too long, his name is not there to match a Diaz. had he fought anyone this year, I could see that fight plausible, and bring in big numbers, but now...... who the F is khamzat?

He has over 2.5m followers on the gram dummy.

Back