Dana open to idea of Cyborg in the UFC

Most of the women fighting at 145 are not cutting much weight to make FW. They are smaller for their weight class than the average 135er. So a large FW enjoys more of a size advantage over the average FW than a large BW does over an average BW.

It's crazy. Veronica doesn't look that big, but had a hell of a time trying to make 145. That, and Charmaine Tweet wants to go up to 155. There are not that many to say 'most' is any signicant number.

were as pretty as Ronda,Dana could've started a new 145 Lbs division just because of her.Imagine Cyborg fighting prowess with the face of Gina!

sign wurst

and if you don't buy her ppv you will be called on racsim homophobia and everything.

images

hurt my eyes

10320540_772457866111054_5926878768751363442_n.jpg

She may have changed her tune, but she has not yet fought at 135. That is what Zuffa is waiting for. If that goes well, they will contact her and encourage her to keep it up for 2 more fights, then they will sit down and negotiate a contract to fight in the UFC.

I really don't want to see Cyborg at 135.

I really wish she would not have gotten busted so we could have seen this fight at 145 when they were both still in Strikeforce and they had both those divisions. I may not like Cyborg, but I don't like the idea of a woman of her size cutting down that far just to get paid.
At this point Cyborg really doesn't have a choice but to cut to 135. Who at that weight is she going to fight at this point? Ediane Gomes? Julia Budd? Who else? Is she going to beat up Marloes Coenen for the 3,4,5th time? Wait 1.5 years until Marina Shafir claims she is going to be ready tho fight her? On top of that there won't be any new opponents any time soon because pretty much every decent 145lb prospect is going to be making the cut to 135 for a chance to fight in the UFC and the few who won't be making the cut to 135 will be going up to Invicta's new 155lb division. The only way that changes is if the UFC brings in a 145lb division and that probably won't be happening soon.

Last edited:
Most of the women fighting at 145 are not cutting much weight to make FW. They are smaller for their weight class than the average 135er. So a large FW enjoys more of a size advantage over the average FW than a large BW does over an average BW.
A lot of the elite 135lbers don't cut that much weight either, Miesha Tate walks in the 140's and I believe Sara Mcmann walks at 143 for example. If Cyborg can make 135 she will still have far more muscle and be far stronger with not to mention a 20 plus pound weight advantage.

It's crazy. Veronica doesn't look that big, but had a hell of a time trying to make 145. That, and Charmaine Tweet wants to go up to 155. There are not that many to say 'most' is any signicant number.

I was speaking entirely in the context of the competition faced by Cyborg at FW. Has Cris Cyborg fought either of the two fighters you mentioned?

I was speaking entirely in the context of the competition faced by Cyborg at FW. Has Cris Cyborg fought either of the two fighters you mentioned?

Not yet. Since she came back, she has only fought Marloes again and Fiona (not Apple).

I know what your saying. Carano is the biggest girl she has fought, IIRC. Although, Hiroko was pretty tall.

At this point Cyborg really doesn't have a choice but to cut to 135. Who at that weight is she going to fight at this point? Ediane Gomes? Julia Budd? Who else? Is she going to beat up Marloes Coenen for the 3,4,5th time? Wait 1.5 years until Marina Shafir claims she is going to be ready tho fight her? On top of that there won't be any new opponents any time soon because pretty much every decent 145lb prospect is going to be making the cut to 135 for a chance to fight in the UFC and the few who won't be making the cut to 135 will be going up to Invicta's new 155lb division. The only way that changes is if the UFC brings in a 145lb division and that probably won't be happening soon.

I know that the division is not very deep. But, there are a number of girls she has not fought yet. Ediane Gomes, Julia Budd both want a shot at her. Veronica Rothenhausler has said that she will after she gets more experience. There are still a few more girls in that division. Then there is Marina Shafir. I love this girl. She is a really cool chick. But I don't have much faith she has enough to beat Cyborg.

BTW, Coenen is retired.

The next division that the UFC picks up will be the Atomweights, but that will not be until the Straweight Division is well established. Then filling in the gap with the Flyweight division makes the most sense. Featherweight will be last.

Dominic Curz said during UFC Fight Night Brown vs Silva that the UFC has been discussing adding a Men's Flywieght division.

I know that the division is not very deep. But, there are a number of girls she has not fought yet. Ediane Gomes, Julia Budd both want a shot at her. Veronica Rothenhausler has said that she will after she gets more experience. There are still a few more girls in that division. Then there is Marina Shafir. I love this girl. She is a really cool chick. But I don't have much faith she has enough to beat Cyborg.

BTW, Coenen is retired.

The next division that the UFC picks up will be the Atomweights, but that will not be until the Straweight Division is well established. Then filling in the gap with the Flyweight division makes the most sense. Featherweight will be last.

Dominic Curz said during UFC Fight Night Brown vs Silva that the UFC has been discussing adding a Men's Flywieght division.
Cyborg is fighting Gomes on the next Invicta card, Julia Budd didn't sound very excited when asked about fighting Cyborg and Veronica Rothenhausler has one pro fight which is the same number of pro fights Marina Shafir has.

Where did you hear that Marloes Coenen retired?

I agree featherweight will probably be the last unless they plan to start that division for Gina Carano.

Dana is a hypocrite about the issues with cyborg.

Cyborg is fighting Gomes on the next Invicta card, Julia Budd didn't sound very excited when asked about fighting Cyborg and Veronica Rothenhausler has one pro fight which is the same number of pro fights Marina Shafir has.

Where did you hear that Marloes Coenen retired?

I agree featherweight will probably be the last unless they plan to start that division for Gina Carano.

For Gina and Marina.

Marloes stated that her rematch with Cyborg was going to be her last. Unless, she won, then she would hold off starting a family to defend her title a time or two. She also took a government job....I cannot remember exactly what her title is but it had to do with combat sports ambassodorship, or something like that.

Why did he try to sign Cyborg in the first place then? She was much more of a threat a year ago than she is now. Your logic is flawed. More than anything, Dana is probably sick of all the talk about signing a fighter that's in another organization in a weight class that doesn't exist in the UFC.

If people look at the situation without biases they will see the UFC tried to keep Cyborg but she left because she wanted to. Now she's having regrets because wmma has gotten more popular than it ever has been. I remember when she bolted for Invicta and was still talking trash and Dana simply said she'll get down to 135 and come to the UFC or she can fight somewhere else and be irrelevant. Turned out to be true.

honey-true.gif

Lately: "She sucks...she's a roid head...looks like Wanderlei"
After he hires her: "She's one of the best ever."

Fixed that for ya

Pretty telling, Dana mentioning steroids about a fighter that he supposedly wants to bring in

Not telling at all if you realize Cyborg can't juice and drop 10 lbs of muscle at the same time.

Excellent point about the "competition" at 145. It's almost non-existent. I remember an interview with Cyborg during her suspension and she said her plan was to drop down to 135 when she came back because that's where all the competition is. I remember Ronda saying the same thing about dropping down to fight Tate for the title. I tried to find that interview again recently and didn't have any luck. If my memory is correct Cyborg never even mentioned dropping down to fight Ronda. Very telling in hindsight, after all the "I'll die" talk.

Back