Dana on Khabib

Khabib pulled out of his last 4 fights.
It doesn't make any sense to book him for the main event.
That would be double jeopardy if he pulled out again.
Shush ffs can you not just let them have their moment.

lol his reason for not choosing khabib is because he's been out for two years

da fuk how does that even make sense. he's still ranked #1 you goof
Or that Kabeeeb has a fight booked for zuffa's business partner?!

protecting the cash cow. understandable and imo justified. he was probably going to get wrecked by rda, but at least he is the current champ. if he's fighting anyone else, it should be a winnable fight. a healthy khabib is far from that.

Plus he asked for more time for this fight, so he can be ready
He was supposed to be on this card.
If he was on the card, he would have gotten the shot obviously.
He fucked himself
Nah McGregor shat his pant at the mere mention of Khabib, terrified he is, the poor bastard may never fight again cause you never know someone may mention Khabibs name again. Obvious shit sarcasm but at about the same level as most of logic being posted on these boards today

protecting the cash cow. understandable and imo justified. he was probably going to get wrecked by rda, but at least he is the current champ. if he's fighting anyone else, it should be a winnable fight. a healthy khabib is far from that.

Offered it to Edgar; unavailable.
Offered it to Aldo; didn't want it.
Offered it to Cowboy; can't make the weight.

Khabib has a fight booked. He also said he wouldn't be ready for Ferguson in early March...so how is he ready for McGregor? Unless...you don't think...he's not looking for favourable match ups to avoid Ferguson, is he?

Conor fought Mendes, Aldo and was going to fight RDA, hardly easy match ups.

Offered it to Edgar; unavailable.
Offered it to Aldo; didn't want it.
Offered it to Cowboy; can't make the weight.

Khabib has a fight booked. He also said he wouldn't be ready for Ferguson in early March...so how is he ready for McGregor? Unless...you don't think...he's not looking for favourable match ups to avoid Ferguson, is he?

Conor fought Mendes, Aldo and was going to fight RDA, hardly easy match ups.
khabib delayed the ferguson fight because ufc 200 fell on rhamadan. khabib himself offered to fight mcgregor, so that is not the issue obviously.

as for cowboy: http://www.punditarena.com/mmaufc/s...-in-case-he-lands-conor-mcgregor-opportunity/

Lets be honest, Ferguson is much more deserving of the spotlight with his recent run and would beat down Connor more than a rusty Khabib.

khabib delayed the ferguson fight because ufc 200 fell on rhamadan. khabib himself offered to fight mcgregor, so that is not the issue obviously.

as for cowboy: http://www.punditarena.com/mmaufc/s...-in-case-he-lands-conor-mcgregor-opportunity/

Pardon? Ramadan starts June 7. Why would he delay a March fight because of Ramadan. He's booked to fight Ferguson, which was initially scheduled for the 197 maincard (now 196), but Khabib asked for the fight to be pushed, so it's now April 16 on Fox.

He said he wouldn't be fighting on 200 due to Ramadan, but that doesn't matter since he already has a fight.

The Cowboy thing; meh. Are you going to accuse McGregor of ducking him as well?

Pardon? Ramadan starts June 7. Why would he delay a March fight because of Ramadan. He's booked to fight Ferguson, which was initially scheduled for the 197 maincard (now 196), but Khabib asked for the fight to be pushed, so it's now April 16 on Fox.

He said he wouldn't be fighting on 200 due to Ramadan, but that doesn't matter since he already has a fight.

The Cowboy thing; meh. Are you going to accuse McGregor of ducking him as well?
no im not saying conor or the ufc is ducking cowboy. i think they think that diaz will make them more money. i just think cerrone would be a way more competitive fight and way more deserving.

i guess you are right about the difference in the pushing to april 16th and the ufc 200 card. the statement still stands though, that khabib offered to accept the fight and the UFC turned him down.

no im not saying conor or the ufc is ducking cowboy. i think they think that diaz will make them more money. i just think cerrone would be a way more competitive fight and way more deserving.

i guess you are right about the difference in the pushing to april 16th and the ufc 200 card. the statement still stands though, that khabib offered to accept the fight and the UFC turned him down.

Sure. But you can see why they did; they'd lose a Fox Card, they'd be giving a guy who has been out of the Octagon and the spotlight for 2 years a huge money fight, Khabib said he wasn't ready to fight in March when Ferguson was the opponent and, add to that, if McGregor won he'd have beaten another top-grappler but it would have the *short notice asterisks on it. (see critics response to the Mendes fight).

I have no idea why they picked Nate over Cowboy, but either one of those fights is awesome. Maybe they chose him because Cerrone just got demolished by RDA in a minute, and that would look strange to be replacing RDA with someone who just got mauled by him 2 months ago. At least Nate made the distance and can keep the interest alive.

I agree. We already know Cerrone's in fight shape since he just fought this passed weekend and he took very little damage in going less than a round. Diaz beat Cerrone a while ago and I"d be all over a Diaz/Conor fight if Nate had been in camp preparing for someone else but the fact is he's just not going to be in the same kind of condition. For that reason Cerrone was the better option from a competition standpoint. I think the UFC just wanted the biggest name possible with the least chance of pulling off an upset and chose Nate because he's not going to be in great shape.

I believe him, its a legitimate response.

Dana is a known liar, so take everything he says with a grain of salt. And since when does he give a shit about the quality of the main event for a free show?

He can say all he wants, but most people are going to see this for what it is, McGregor protectionism

I have no idea why they picked Nate over Cowboy, but either one of those fights is awesome. Maybe they chose him because Cerrone just got demolished by RDA in a minute, and that would look strange to be replacing RDA with someone who just got mauled by him 2 months ago. At least Nate made the distance and can keep the interest alive.
i'd say the conor vs cowboy fight would be awesome. nate vs conor, is meh to me. i think the primary reason for them choosing nate is because the amountn of shit talk that has already happened and the fact that the diaz brothers are fan favorites for reasons other than their fight abilities. in terms of skill and accomplishment in mma, there is no reason to give it to nate over cowboy. i also feel like cowboy is the definition of a needle mover, whereas diaz, not so much. i think this decision is very short sighted.

i'd say the conor vs cowboy fight would be awesome. nate vs conor, is meh to me. i think the primary reason for them choosing nate is because the amountn of shit talk that has already happened and the fact that the diaz brothers are fan favorites for reasons other than their fight abilities. in terms of skill and accomplishment in mma, there is no reason to give it to nate over cowboy. i also feel like cowboy is the definition of a needle mover, whereas diaz, not so much. i think this decision is very short sighted.

I think they're both on par:

Cowboy just had a camp so he'll be fit. Even an unfit Diaz can go 5-rounds, especially with no weight-cut; I just don't think cardio will be an issue.
Both are a huge danger to Conor on the ground.
Cowboy is a late-starter, McGregor will get in his face early.
Diaz looked very impressive in his last fight, so did Cowboy.
Diaz and Cerrone both have a loss to RDA.
Diaz and Cowboy will both sell the fight.
Diaz has a win over Cowboy.

Both have things going for and against them. Honestly, I just think the UFC might have more trouble selling the RDA replacement as the guy RDA just beat in a minute.
Furthermore if you check the twitter polls, Diaz is the favourite to fight between the two.

i agree with you, thats why ive said they chose diaz because its the better selling fight. i still think conor absolutely destroys diaz, whereas against cerrone, i might have him as a slight underdog. diaz's win over cerrone is neglegible at this point. that fight was 4+ years ago, and 15 fights ago, with cerrone having much more improvement and more more success since their fight. if cerrone and diaz were to fight now, at 155 or 170, i'd definitely have cerrone as a large favorite.

1. Who is Ali Abdelaziz?
He hasnt fought in 2 years and is a nobody. This is a big show, he wont be saving shit.
2. Come on now. Anyone with a brain knows Khabib absolutely smashes McGregor. No question about it. No worries though the UFC will protect him forever from Khabib. UNLESS of course McGregor makes a move to start his own promotion. Then expect McGregor vs Khabib in very shot order.

1. Who is Ali Abdelaziz?

2. Come on now. Anyone with a brain knows Khabib absolutely smashes McGregor. No question about it. No worries though the UFC will protect him forever from Khabib. UNLESS of course McGregor makes a move to start his own promotion. Then expect McGregor vs Khabib in very shot order.
lol khabib eats all kinds of shots as he comes in to grab lesser fighters. What do you think McGregor is going to do to him? 1 straight left and he falls.

lol khabib eats all kinds of shots as he comes in to grab lesser fighters. What do you think McGregor is going to do to him? 1 straight left and he falls.
A single sentence hyperbole is your fight analysis...

Please watch McGregor vs Mendes again. Then acknowledge what any knowledgeable MMA fan knows when it comes to the level of Khabib's wrestling. I expect the repeated-every-year formula as seen in Cain vs JDS and RDA vs Pettis. Mendes is a great wrestler but Khabib is arguably the best in the UFC. But sure... "left straight" and "head clean off" blah blah. Surely McGregor will have NO problem whatsoever doing "head clean off" on his back with arguably the best grappler on top of him smashing him the entire fight.

Like I said it won't happen unless the UFC feels McGregor is a threat business-wise. I have nothing against McGregor as his fights are amazing (I really like RDA too and was REALLY looking forward to their fight) but anyone that minimizes Khabib vs Conor is either a terrified fan of Conor or is totally clueless about fighting.

Back