Dana: Melendez's win was a huge step back for TJ Grant

Did anyone really think Diego had won when they were about to announce the scores?

You never know when Diego fights. He got bullshit decision wins before. I was actually thinking. OMG Diego survived maybe they will give him this win.

That shows how little you actually know, but guess away TS and eventually it will come to you.

i didn't start this thread and you have demonstrably zero sense of self awareness, so wrong on both counts.

But Dana's looking at things from much more of an entertainment and marketing than sporting perspective these days. Even though Gil's stock should be down because he just edged a win over a guy who should have lost his previous fight to an over the hill Gomi, he's hot right now because he was just in a classic fight, in spite of that meaning he took a lot of damage which would get him fucked against Pettis. I mean look at people emotionally saying things like Melendez beats Pettis 9 times out of 10 after last night's performance. It really indicates the opposite, but fanDUMB does funny things, and Gil won a lot of fans last night. So did Diego. So some of them buy the idiocy that they were selling that two brawlers are the top 2 fighters in the division.

I don't know why Gil's stock would be down. He completely dominated Diego AND had the balls to go toe to toe when he could have coasted to an easy win. Sure he ate a big punch, but i wouldnt hold it against him. Even before this fight happened, I had Gil has the biggest challenge to Pettis at 155.

TJ Grant should fight Bendo. Seems like a no brainer to me.

You never know when Diego fights. He got bullshit decision wins before. I was actually thinking. OMG Diego survived maybe they will give him this win.

Yeah same. I was like, ok, Gil clearly won. Should be about 50/50 if he gets the decision.

I don't know why Gil's stock would be down. He completely dominated Diego AND had the balls to go toe to toe when he could have coasted to an easy win. Sure he ate a big punch, but i wouldnt hold it against him. Even before this fight happened, I had Gil has the biggest challenge to Pettis at 155.

Gil won every aspect of that fight apart from the little flurry that had him in trouble in the 3rd. There is an argument for him winning all 3 rounds, but I think Diego deserved a round after hanging on in there for so long.

And I agree he could easily have coasted to an easy win but wanted to put on a show.

i didn't start this thread and you have demonstrably zero sense of self awareness, so wrong on both counts.

TS stands for more than just thread starter. So how about you and your asinine opinions go bother someone else for a while.

huge gil fan, but this is the usual dana bullshit... sad for tj

So Gil, who was a champion for over 3 years... Debatably won his fight with Bendo... Should have to wait behind TJ Grant who's been injured for months and earned a title fight against Maynard. TJ is good, but the division has intensified. The new reality is that he isn't the consensus top contender anymore.

So a 29-28 decision win over an unranked fighter has more value than a knockout in the 1st round against a top 5 opponent? Gil already had his chance,now it's TJ's turn.

Melndez deserves it, but grant vs pettis seems more logical first...i think even henderson vs melendez for #1 contender is a good rematch choice too

Melndez deserves it, but grant vs pettis seems more logical first...i think even henderson vs melendez for #1 contender is a good rematch choice too

That's not a good idea. Bendo has no shot at Pettis for at least a couple years. So he in no way should be fighting top competition for Pettis. Gil vs Pettis is very marketable because Gil is exciting and proven... And it plays well to the Mexican audience they've wanted to court.

Put TJ Grant against Bendo. If he beats Bendo then he it will set him up nicely.

So a 29-28 decision win over an unranked fighter has more value than a knockout in the 1st round against a top 5 opponent? Gil already had his chance,now it's TJ's turn.

Only your last fight matters? Melendez has been in the top five for years and has wins over JT x2, Kawajiri x2, Aoki, Sanchez and fought what I scored a draw against Ben Henderson. TJ Grant beat Maynard, Wineman, and Dunham. TJ deserved a title shot and still does but Melendez is more proven and a case could be made for him as well. I'd personally like to see Melendez get another opponent for a #1 contender match.

Melendez definitely won but he most definitely didn't "completely dominate". Sanchez took a round from him.

Just book Melendez vs. Grant. Not rocket science.

Back