Dana just said he thought Bendo won.

not necessarily. especially in a fight where no one got knocked down, visibly rocked or absorbed haymakers.

Benson landed some very heavy body kicks and some rather light kicks to Cerrone's thigh. Equating those is silly imo, and that is of course what total strike count does.

it's very simple, landing strikes is scored so naturally someone who lands more has a certain advantage that can't be overlooked in judging fights. or do you think the judging system in amateur boxing is dubious?

Most of the amateur boxing I have seen has been in the Olympics, and yes, I think the judging system in place there is very dubious.

Super close fights can't be robbery because they're fucking close. The Tibau fight was closer to robbery.

Usually I agree, but this fight wasn't close. Bendo kicked Cowboy's ass. He knew it and Cowboy knew it. It wasn't close.

Nope.

How does Bendo dictate the fight when Cowboy was the one coming forward the majority of the fight. The only thing Bendo had going for him were the teeps to the thigh.

Walking forward and getting lit up doesn't win you fights unless you are Diego Sanchez. Or I guess Cerrone in this case.

You guys are defending a guy who thought he lost himself. Of course he isn't going to say otherwise out of respect but he knows he lost, his camp knows he lost, 70% of sherdog thinks he lost. Ben knows he lost. Dana knows he lost. You are fucking wrong.

What about the brutal leg kicks? 93 to 58 total strikes, just short of doubling Cerrone's output

Benson landed some very heavy body kicks and some rather light kicks to Cerrone's thigh. Equating those is silly imo, and that is of course what total strike count does.

Most of the amateur boxing I have seen has been in the Olympics, and yes, I think the judging system in place there is very dubious.

why is equating strikes silly again?

you know damn well i meant the system itself, not the implementation, stop that weak posturing...

It also suggested that you thought Cerrone won the fight.

It suggested nothing of the sort. Questioning methodology of decision making is most important when one agrees with the conclusion being drawn.

Nope.

How does Bendo dictate the fight when Cowboy was the one coming forward the majority of the fight. The only thing Bendo had going for him were the teeps to the thigh.

Coming forward and getting hit is dictating a fight? That is a new one to me.

In that case Forrest did a great job dictating the fight against Anderson

TJ DeSantis is truly one of the worst judges I have ever seen.

It suggested nothing of the sort. Questioning methodology of decision making is most important when one agrees with the conclusion being drawn.

nothing is 100% but in this fight, the numbers really do show who won. I know in super close fights, it can be irrelevant, but this fight is a good example of when numbers do in fact tell the case.

why is equating strikes silly again?

Because landing a heavy damaging body kick is more important when determining effective striking than a light, low power kick to the thigh.

you know damn well i meant the system itself, not the implementation, stop that weak posturing...

I know very little about amateur boxing, and I think I alluded to that in my comment. The little I have seen was very poorly judged.

Bendo's stock didn't drop at all.

It also won't stop the UFC from setting up a title shot for Cerrone even though he lost, cause officially he's 7-0 in his last 7. The UFC will game the system any way they can to justify unearned title shots.

nothing is 100% but in this fight, the numbers really do show who won. I know in super close fights, it can be irrelevant, but this fight is a good example of when numbers do in fact tell the case.

I am not so sure. I think it comes down to how one measures the effectiveness of Benson's sidekicks to the thigh that had Rogan so enthused. They seemed useful in disrupting Cerrone's rhythm and perhaps in maintaining distance, but they did not seem to be slowing cowboy down much.

They accounted for a fairly high percentage of the strikes landed by Benson.

It also won't stop the UFC from setting up a title shot for Cerrone even though he lost, cause officially he's 7-0 in his last 7. The UFC will game the system any way they can to justify unearned title shots.

I applaud the UFC when they from time to time when they do not treat a fighter who fought their heart out or who lost a bad decision as if they lost a fight.

However, they should almost always treat a win like a win. If Cerrone gets a title shot, calling it unearned is going too far.

I applaud the UFC when they from time to time when they do not treat a fighter who fought their heart out or who lost a bad decision as if they lost a fight.

However, they should almost always treat a win like a win. If Cerrone gets a title shot, calling it unearned is going too far.

Considering the number of bad decisions in MMA, calling a win a win is too much hubris. Yes Cerrone took the fight on short notice and got the gift decision, but if the president, the commentators, most fans, and even Cowboy himself all thought he lost, then giving him a title shot would be... let's say awkward.

I am surprised that Hall didn't get arrested for assault and battery. Gus should push to fight Jon in Boston. Only way he will win.

If I was a non-white fighter, I'd refuse to fight on cards in Boston.

Considering the number of bad decisions in MMA, calling a win a win is too much hubris.

Calling a win a win is a lack of hubris. Deciding which decisions to count and which to ignore takes far more pride.

Benson had more like 15 significant strikes.

Cerrone pretty clearly won. OF course, those front kicks to thigh have no value, all of them combine equal maybe one solid body kick.

Thank god you're not a judge. Sounds like Cecil people's reasoning. "Leg kicks don't do damage."

It seemed like the judges may have given the benefit of the doubt to Cerrone because they figured Cerrone was more marketable as a title contender and was building momentum and getting the fans behind him for his willingness to take on fights at even the smallest moment's notice. I am not sure, I think there may have been specific reasons along this time for giving the edge to Cerrone. I think the public need to see him in title contention now may have been a factor.

Back