Dana: "Jon Jones A Little Diva"

Dana does it because Jones is the first legitimate potential mainstream athlete the UFC has had and Dana wants to keep Jones in check to make sure he never has to pay him what he's worth.

Dana knows the UFC fan base is comprised of a lot of racists and xenophobes, so by making them hate Jones, it makes it that much harder for Jones to ask for more money.

But the problem is, Jones will appeal to non UFC fans and that's what's going to make him bigger than Dana wants him to be.

Does your cell phone lose reception because of the tin foil on your head?

Dana is a lot of negative things but I highly doubt he has some 'plan' to make sure his top star(s) aren't popular fighters. He also knows that a talented heel can cost him a ton of money....see: Chael Sonnen.

And bringing in the race card is just plain silly.

I love how people call Dana White a diva because he's the face of the UFC and thus its most recognizable and public persona.

These are probably the same idiots who think the ring girls get too much attention, when the only reason that people know the ring girls is that they are at every event, while fighters only show up for two or three a year.

Love your sig. Too many people obsessed with Legacies, aura, and mysticism as evidenced by the

"What will (insert Jones/Anderson/etc) have to do to secure the place as GOAT?" threads on sherdog.

And if two champions are at a close weight class they have to fight each other to see who's better. It's like Sherdogger's don't want a stranger to walk up to them and ask who the best fighter in the world is and not be able to give an actual answer.

Don't get me started on threads about being afraid of Anderson losing and tarnishing his legacy like 10 years from now. And how it'd be so beautiful if Anderson went out still on top with a few more prime years left

Dana does it because Jones is the first legitimate potential mainstream athlete the UFC has had and Dana wants to keep Jones in check to make sure he never has to pay him what he's worth.

Dana knows the UFC fan base is comprised of a lot of racists and xenophobes, so by making them hate Jones, it makes it that much harder for Jones to ask for more money.

But the problem is, Jones will appeal to non UFC fans and that's what's going to make him bigger than Dana wants him to be.

Jones the first legit mainstream athlete in the UFC? Look at the guy in my avatar.

Forgetting whether he is right or wrong, why would Dana bash his product like that? Jones is one of the most dynamic fighters in his sport and a champion. He has the potential to be the GOAT LHW, and potentially move up to HW. WTF is his problem? Why would the fighters refrain from making comments about the UFC and Dana when they clearly don't have their back? Dana throws these guys under the bus first chance, but it hurts his organization. Really stupid.

The cool thing about PRIDE is that it didn't try to set up the biggest fights (well it did that too) but it was just content putting together a good fight. Was Nick Diaz the biggest fight for Gomi at the time? No, but I remember being so stoked when that was announced.

Now, they're like Bones vs Belfort in the BIGGEST fight in UFC HISTORY and I'm pumped down for some reason. If they just billed it as Bones vs Belfort then maybe I wouldn't feel as if a lot of champs and their title defenses were just hype.

Ummmm..... Nick Diaz had just been chased from the UFC because he couldn't beat anybody and the dying Pride organization scooped him up because he looked like the perfect "UFC fighter" for their big star to thump during their effort to save their company by moving to America where MMA was on an upswing and away from Japan where the fad was ending........

The Nick Diaz Gogoplata killed Pride just as much as the Silverback Jab KO killed Elite on CBS.

I love how people call Dana White a diva because he's the face of the UFC and thus its most recognizable and public persona.

These are probably the same idiots who think the ring girls get too much attention, when the only reason that people know the ring girls is that they are at every event, while fighters only show up for two or three a year.

Dana has become a Diva. He has right after so much success but go watch his old interviews its crazy how different he not only acts but sounds. I rewatched him commentating Chucks fights when they came over to Pride and you can barely recognise him, not just looks but attitude.

Dana puts himself in the position to be the face of the company and sometimes it's good sometimes it's really bad. He needs to find the medium for being a promoter and being the president of the UFC as well as an executive of ZUFFA.

And I will say that I did agree with Jones' comments that he was being treated like a piece of meat simply so the UFC could make a worthless buck off a Chael Sonnen shit talk tirade that wouldn't even be worth it. They're probably all 3 sitting back laughing at all of us lol.

I hope Jones crashes his car into Dana's bedroom while he and Ronda are sleeping. :rolleyes:
If you hate Dana so much, why are you wishing the ass of Ronda Rousey on him? She may not be the hottest girl on earth(but she is hot) but I guarantee you she's a total animal in bed.

Will be interesting to see if Dana actually does something if Jon Jones loses the belt. I doubt it.

Dana has become a Diva. He has right after so much success but go watch his old interviews its crazy how different he not only acts but sounds. I rewatched him commentating Chucks fights when they came over to Pride and you can barely recognise him, not just looks but attitude.

I don't know, he was still pretty obnoxious back then, saying how he bet 250 grand on Chuck and he was going to put the Grand Prix belt in his office. He talked more like a manager than he did someone who ran a company, a lot of "we trained really hard, we prepared really hard for this." The coolest thing though was when Chuck lost, DW said they were going to have all the guys they brought to help Chuck for the final fight over to Rampage to help him.

I don't know, he was still pretty obnoxious back then, saying how he bet 250 grand on Chuck and he was going to put the Grand Prix belt in his office. He talked more like a manager than he did someone who ran a company, a lot of "we trained really hard, we prepared really hard for this." The coolest thing though was when Chuck lost, DW said they were going to have all the guys they brought to help Chuck for the final fight over to Rampage to help him.

Yeah but he was saying all that with a smile and a laugh where now it would be with a scowl and a bunch of expletives about how he will fuk them up and bankrupt them lol. But yeah was cool how he didn't make any excuses for Chuck said he didn't follow the plan and would help Rampage out.

I think Dana has always spoken his mind and acted fairly the same. Yes hes toned it down a slim bit lately but i dont think hes being a diva. Hes got a big network deal and has to toe the line.

Jon Jones is a total diva. and alot of other choice words

Ya he puts on that tough guy persona. If shit hits the fan he will turn back into that guy you saw before though, guaranteed.

Dana didn't bash Rampage during his title reign because Rampage was playing the game. He was doing what he was told, fighting who Dana told him to fight and not ever stepping out of line. The second he started stepping out of line, Dana was able to change the public perception of him.

The difference is Rampage's title reign was a lot more short lived than Jones' title reign is. Jones is going to be on top for awhile, and I'm sure that frightens Dana because he knows Jones is very fickle about playing Dana's game, and he has the right to be because he's a one of a kind talent and Dana is worried that Jones could create problems with the UFC machine, and he already has.

As for the xenophobia and racism of the UFC fan base, it's not blatant racism where they hate someone because they don't speak English or they are black, it's subtle racism. It's no secret that the core demographic the UFC caters to is young white males who watch WWE, and UFC is having a very difficult time getting anyone out of that demographic to watch or care about the sport. These type of fans are going to root for who they can identify with, fighters who look and acts like them, which isn't a big problem, it's natural, but it doesn't happen in other sports. Unlike most sports fans, UFC fans are not able to separate the personality from the talent, so at times, in cage performance takes a backseat to out of cage personality. It's the reason so many fighters have been able to have popularity in spite of just not being very good at fighting. You don't see this in any other sports. Chael Sonnen is a popular fighter for reasons other than winning fights. There aren't any NBA players who are stars based on what they do off the court, it's always what they do on the court, but that isn't the case with UFC fans.

You sir got it right to a tee, scary that I am that white guy who grew up on british wrestling and like chael sonnen just as much for what he says out of the ring as what he does in it.
Very very intelligent post

So Dana likes fighters who work with him to make him money, and he gets his panties in a bunch when a fighter goes against that.

Groundbreaking stuff.

I got a kick out of that conspiracy by Dana to make people hate Jones though.
It's all about money with Dana and Jones being high profile, getting sponsers, etc makes him a brand that will bring in ppv buys.

Dana says stupid shit when he gets worked up all the time and then changes his mind a day later.

Two divas together will not always get along.

Dana cancelled a card due to poor planning, and poorer matchmaking (Don't believe me? Look at the rest of the scheduled card for 151. There have been better lineups at TUF finales, for fuck's sake! $44.95?! Please!!), then couldn't wait to shift the blame to a fighter that is doing more to build his brand right now than anybody outside GSP.

Then, some months later, he elevates a steroid-munching loudmouth, who hasn't won a fight at 205 in seven goddamn years into the next title shot, while screwing the veteran whose injury proved fatal to 151 (again...didn't have to be that way. Zuffa could have scheduled a halfway decent co-main, or even put one other appealing fight on the card if they'd wanted to avoid torpedoing the card due to an injury....it's like these idiots forgot how often fighters get hurt in camp).

Anyway, now the biggest attention whore in the business is calling one of his best fighters a diva....the old line about the pot and kettle doesn't even begin to address how stupid White sounds here....

Back